356 C vs. SC production numbers?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ken Georgi
356 Fan

356 C vs. SC production numbers?

#1 Post by Ken Georgi »

Apologies if this topic has already been discussed but I didn't turn up anything in the search feature or in a larger google search.

Question: In terms of production numbers, what were the 356 C versus 356 SC production volumes?

Germans being German I figured these statistics would be readily available, but either my Google skills have really waned or they aren't as easy to find as I thought. I know lots of owners upgrade Cs to SC spec, but how many started out as SCs. On the off chance that these figures aren't readily available, any estimate on the numbers? 20%?

Thanks,
Ken

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: 356 C vs. SC production numbers?

#2 Post by David Jones »

Ken, google your question and you may be able to calculate the numbers. There are many books that talk about the numbers as well and the Stoddard catalog has tables of the various models and serial #'s. One of the best books would be by Dirk Michael Conradt.
https://www.amazon.com/Porsche-356-Driv ... 0929758099
Have fun deciphering the numbers and let us know what you calculate the final figure to be.
https://www.stoddard.com/Werkstatte/bodyengineid/
Also try searching "chassis numbers" not "Vin #'s"
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Ken Georgi
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ken Georgi »

Thank you David. I think I have the Conradt book - I'll take a look when I get home and report back.

Ken Georgi
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ken Georgi »

It turns out I actually don't own the Conradt book so I ordered it, but David's suggestion did inspire me to look through some other books on vintage Porsches I own, and I found the information I was looking for:

356 C production (coupe + cabriolet) = 13,509
356 SC production (coupe + cabriolet) = 3165

So SC's make up just a hair under 19% of the combined total.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jules Dielen »

you could also just add engine numbers from any 356 reference book. Euro and US spec SC engines (81xxxx and 82xxxx) that should give you all.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.