Al Lager estate auction

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Al Lager estate auction

#1 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Does anybody have the results? Did anybody here go to it?

Bob Watts
356 Fan

Re: Al Lager estate auction

#2 Post by Bob Watts »

I couldn't find any info so emailed Carquip for information.

For those who are not familiar...
(you will be sorry if you don't watch the first one!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbNDt62-bao

http://www.allagerengines.com/

Sorry, Vic. Carquip did not return my email and could not find any info from the local newspaper.
Attachments
allagerAd1jpg.jpg
Last edited by Bob Watts on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Watts

Jim Kellogg
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jim Kellogg »

Vic,
Al was a good friend. I bought most of the 356 parts excluding the engine and trans stuff of which there was lots. Contact Tom Conway if interested in engine and trans parts.
Jim Kellogg

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#4 Post by Adam Wright »

My experience with trying to buy any of the estate was unsuccessful. Hopefully whoever bought at the auction got decent pricing. When I tried to buy a large lot I was faced with retail pricing and was unable to make a deal.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Richard Beasworrick
356 Fan

#5 Post by Richard Beasworrick »

Vic, I attended the Al Lager event on two weekend's. The second time the people turned out, there was a good bit of buying!
Lots of things are still available. You can call Tom Conway @ 303-443-1342 he set the sale up and may have some items(?).
Richard Beasworrick
beaswo996@comcast

Frank Barrett
356 Fan

#6 Post by Frank Barrett »

I went on Saturday. Al and I had known each other for 45 years, and he wanted to buy my old Lakewood home, but I wanted to stay, so I told him about a house for sale two doors north. Next thing I know, he's moving in! Over the years Al's health deteriorated, but his ex-wife Susan and another Porsche friend looked after him well. Still, he was able to build a few engines, and maybe 10 years ago he sold two shipping containers full of 356 bodies and parts to a German buyer. His replica Abarth-Carrera project took up a lot of his resources, and it's still for sale, along with a track Roadster with aluminum rear bodywork. Oh, and a Chrysler Airflow!

The event this October was not an auction but a yard sale. Tom Conway had done an excellent job of identifying and pricing thousands of parts, mostly mechanical stuff. The usual suspects were seen: Tom Scott, Norm Miller, even Bill Jackson. While I was there the crowd was slim, and there were no bargains, so I expect that Tom has a lot left to sell. Al had devoted his life to Porsches, first as a mechanic then as crew chief for Bob Hagestad's race team; he and Susan lived with regular 24-hour non-stop towing runs to Watkins Glen and the West Coast. That took its toll. Never one to worry about such formalities as building permits, he partly remodeled his house, and one day I watched a Tough Shed crew build an entire four-car garage for him in eight hours; asked about a permit, Al just laughed!

Al's Porsche books are offered on my web site, http://www.toadhallmotorbooks.com, though most are gone by now. Proceeds from the sale go to Susan.

Frank