Who decided the 356 Registry should quit being a registry?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Craig Richter
356 Fan

Re: Who decided the 356 Registry should quit being a registr

#16 Post by Craig Richter »

We need some trustees who will actively promote the objective of again being a registry, not "pissed off" trustees "who do not intend to enter into any debate".

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#17 Post by David Jones »

We do have an election for trustees upon us. Any comments from those aspiring to those positions?
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#18 Post by Emil Wojcik »

As Curt has stated, the club has a VIN Database Manager, Eric Cherniff, and currently they're in the process of a "major upgrade in functionality to the database". See, Curt, some of us read your posts. Unfortunately there are always those who sit on the sidelines and complain...has been happening here for years.

Yes, if the club is to be called "Registry", it actually needs to be a registry. Sounds to me like the fix is already underway albeit slower than we'd all probably like. Maybe if more of the complainers volunteer to help...
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

William Block
356 Fan
Tag: blocklab

#19 Post by William Block »

I am not the Registrar for the 356 Registry -- although I became one after being sent boxes of the back cover-leafs from the magazine with a request for registering 356s. No one with any official position at the 356 registry was willing to enter the information. My position was approved at trusties' meeting at LAX. Frankly I never understood what Steve Heinrich's attempts to get the Registry's mailing list had to do with me -- I never asked for a location more precise than state if in US or country if out. After threats from then president George Dunn -- including a letter published on 356TALK, starting "With all due respect" (anybody not know what that means) he threatened to pull my 356TALK privileges if I kept asking people on the website for serial number information. The letter which cited "privacy concerns" however did not hesitate to print my full home address. Curt is wrong is stating I have ever opened a 356 door without permission -- although if the door were open i ceertainly. At the time of my banishment considerably more than half the serial numbers Eric Cherniff's online database were sent to him by me -- I had sent all of the information I collected to him. I can not claim the information I entered was always correct, only that I entered what I was given and feel obligated to correct what I have when presented with a correction -- something I did as recently as today. Unfortunately the timing is wrong, but perhaps this issue would provide a platform for those who wish to run for office.
Bill Block
Once reviews columnist and now unofficial, self-appointed registrar trying to keep the faith.
Blocks Books www.BLOCKS-BOOKS.COM
7295 Coldspring Ln. West Bloomfield, MI 48322 USA
248/672-2637 blocklab@gmail.com
1953/1952 1500N coupe #11994
1957 Super tractor #133/7622
1959/1958 1600N sunroof coupe #106072
1965/1964 356C Porsche cabriolet #161564
1966/1965 911 coupe #303269 ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT 911 40Pi JET HOLDER O-RINGS?
1970 914/6 2.8 modified #9140432388
1998/1998 Silk, aka the fabulous Freda’s Boxter WPOCA2983WS621230
Bill Block
BLOCKS-BOOKS.COM
248/672-2637 blocklab@gmail.com
1500N coupe #11994
S tractor #133/7622
1600N S/R #106072
356C cab #161564
911 #303269
914/6 2.8 #9140432388 (for sale)
Freda’s Boxster WPOCA2983WS621230

Ned Hamlin
356 Fan

#20 Post by Ned Hamlin »

Might I respectfully offer that Eric's last name is spelled Cherneff, not Cherniff?
Thanks.
Ned Hamlin
'64 Bali Blue coupe
'65 Togo Brown SC
'58 Ruby Speedster
'65 Dolphin Grey coupe
'63 Carrera 2 coupe

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - George Harrison/Yogi Berra

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#21 Post by Adam Wright »

Emil Wojcik wrote:As Curt has stated, the club has a VIN Database Manager, Eric Cherniff, and currently they're in the process of a "major upgrade in functionality to the database". See, Curt, some of us read your posts. Unfortunately there are always those who sit on the sidelines and complain...has been happening here for years.

Yes, if the club is to be called "Registry", it actually needs to be a registry. Sounds to me like the fix is already underway albeit slower than we'd all probably like. Maybe if more of the complainers volunteer to help...
We had a volunteer, he was told to stop Registering 356's for the 356 Registry, his name was Dr. Bill Block.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#22 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Yes, from my perspective, Bill did a good job when he was collecting info but since I wasn't involved with the process at all, I can't comment on whether or not he should have been allowed to continue. Apparently, for one reason or another, Bill was asked to stop. No disrespect meant to Bill, but how this pertains to the current situation is irrelevant to me. People come and go for various reasons, some leave of their own accord, others are made to leave. As long as the club agrees it should continue as an official registry, I really don't care whether it's Eric, Bill or someone else who maintains it. My only concern is that if the club wants to continue to use the name 356 Registry, it needs to maintain a registry of these cars.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Bob Watts
356 Fan

#23 Post by Bob Watts »

PLEASE, PLEASE! Someone please tell me to stop doing the Sunroof inventory!

I'm old and feeble of body and mind (obviously).

Michael has volunteered to started work on a database which would be so much better than an inventory.
Who is ready to help??? You will receive the current digital file and about half a filing cabinet of paper work.
One paper copy for every item on the list (backup and referencing). I will gladly pay the shipping.
Looking forward to the rush of emails...

Bob
wattsbob@isu.edu
Bob Watts

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#24 Post by Dave Wildrick »

William Block wrote:- I never asked for a location more precise than state if in US or country if out. After threats from then president George Dunn -- including a letter published on 356TALK, starting "With all due respect" (anybody not know what that means) he threatened to pull my 356TALK privileges if I kept asking people on the website for serial number information.
Bill, I guess no good deed goes unpunished.
I was impressed that someone was interested enough to maintain a registry.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#25 Post by Jim Liberty »

I am no longer on the board, buy was in on many discussions on this subject. The privacy, and more important the liability issues are just too important to ignore. Our law suit based on sheer nonsense lasted years, and cost hundreds of thousand of dollars, not to mention making the then, sitting president an ill man. And after all that, his case was dropped. Anybody can sue, and one must defend oneself.

The days of casual approaches to these exposures are over. Curt D. is absolutely correct in his answer. That said, I still contact Bill Block for historical data on my early cars. Nothing official, but good old fashioned information. Yes, I was one of the trustees that agreed Bill should not continue gathering information on behalf of the Registry.

…………………………………………………...Jim.
Jim Liberty

C J Murray
356 Fan

#26 Post by C J Murray »

If you don't like the position held by a Trustee then don't vote for that Trustee. If you don't like the the attitude of a Trustee....

Dare I suggest that term limits would place fresh eyes and fresh attitudes on this and other evolving issues?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#27 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Despite the legal ramifications which may or may not arise, I , for one, am glad we have someone like Bill Block , who has taken considerable time and expense to keep an extensive database of our cars and I have no problem providing information to him.
The well-known, regrettable ,( and frivolous), lawsuit filed by the now deceased former member had nothing to do with anything regarding Bill's registry of the cars.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#28 Post by C J Murray »

"Curt Dansby" I do not intend to enter into any debate regarding what I have posted above. This position is not subject to change.
Curt
It looks like voting is the only solution if you would like to take a fresh look at this subject.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Curt Dansby
356 Fan

#29 Post by Curt Dansby »

It appears that a few posting in this thread are having difficulty processing my entire post or are intentionally attempting to misrepresent what I have stated.
"...what I have posted above" indicates that I do not intend to debate the situation regarding Mr. Block, not that I do not(nor do not intend to) engage in debate generally, or on other issues. Neither did I suggest that I was pissed off.

It is not always prudent to discuss or divulge every specific detail of every issue that leads to Registry Policy. You elect Trustees to administer the business of the club in the manner that they believe (based on all available information) to be in the best interest of the club overall. This is what I have done since I have been on the board as I believe my peers have also done. I do not feel I need to provide a list or justify what I have done during my tenure. Plus, it would not be appropriate to do so in this format with an upcoming election. I will stand on the content of my candidacy statement (which can be found under "latest news" and in the forthcoming magazine) and my actions of which many in the club are aware.
Obviously, this is a volunteer position and myself and my peers put ourselves in these positions with some sacrifice(and recently great) to our personal time. That is not a gripe (we volunteered) just for the edification of those who are unaware.

I have indicated that the bugs in the VIN database are being addressed and I will re-post to this thread with a synopsis of what was achieved post completion. Beyond that I do not currently have anything else to contribute to what was the original basis of this topic.

I will finish with this: "You can please some of the people all of the time. You can please all of the people some of the time, but you cant please all of the people all of the time."

The very word Trustee indicates that you trust those you elect to do what is best for the club as a whole. If you do not trust that is what I am doing then I strongly recommend that you vote for the other two candidates in the election which goes live on 11/15. I will gracefully bow out if not re-elected. And or, better yet, there will be another unopposed seat on the board next year. Let's see who is willing to put their money where their mouth is and take a turn on the hot seat.

KTF
Curt

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#30 Post by Mike Wilson »

A question: are there any other car registries that have satisfactorily addressed the issues of privacy and liability?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe