Thoughts on over restored cars

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dave Whittick
356 Fan

Thoughts on over restored cars

#1 Post by Dave Whittick »

I've been putting in long hours getting the factory undercoating off the bottom of my 64. Now that I'm down to bare metal, I'm having a hard time with the idea of recoating it all with undercoating again. What's the consensus of fully finished cars in black and body colored paint rather than undercoat? I understand that the car would lose points if it's judged.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: Thoughts on over restored cars

#2 Post by Adam Wright »

Personally, I'm sick of over-restored cars. I went back and forth with my painter recently, he wanted to do base coat/clear coat. I said no, single stage. I didn't want it super shiny like a new Toyota. I was happy with the result, he probably still thinks I'm crazy.
Attachments
9.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#3 Post by Bruce Smith »

I'm with you Adam. I'm building a Beck Spyder with a 356C motor. I didn't want base coat / clear coat so painted it single stage Stone Grey with Polyantha Red spears (both '50s Porsche colors). Wheels are 16x3.5 with 5.00-16 Firestones and tubes.
Attachments
20181104_221400.jpg
Bruce Smith

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ron LaDow »

When they came off the line, Hans and Fritz rarely got one wrong (hence the rep), but occasionally got one really, really RIGHT. And concours judging means deducting points for 'non-original' or dirty stuff, so spending the extra money/effort is never a negative if you're showing the car.
But I agree and admit to attending fewer events as a result of "resale red" overload; there are very few survivor originals left, so we get what the judging rewards.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

George Hussey
356 Fan

#5 Post by George Hussey »

I think it best to restore the car to exactly as it was when issued by the factory, but use the best materials (such as base coat clear coat). ONE day the car will be resold and your heirs will regret the fact that you modified it, and the car is worth tens of thousands less that it would have been if in factory dress.

As a 36 year old punk I was driving my 61 roadster and my 84 cab, both guards red while restoring my 60 roadster. I had the foresight to paint it the original Aetna blue, but could not stand the red interior (thinking girls would deign me as driving a clown car) so changed the interior to black. While I was at it, I sold the original 1600 normal matching numbers engine and installed a 912. Those two moves have probably cost my heirs 20 grand as well as gettin the po po from the concours judges!!
Attachments
IMG_7216.JPG
George Hussey

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jules Dielen »

nice living room George :), i wonder what your garage looks like!
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#7 Post by Adam Wright »

My thought with my car was it's not matching numbers and still has the wonky flat floors, so a color change isn't really going to affect the value. Also, it's my car, not my descendants, and I'm going to drive what I want.
These cars should not be seen as investments.
My rule is never to have a dog or a car you're afraid of, I know too many guys who have had a 356 for decades and decide to restore it and are then afraid to drive it, a car they drove cross country in tornado's without a care in the world, are now afraid to take it to a cars and coffee because it might rain. They are not art, they are cars, drive them, or sell them to someone who will.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#8 Post by Mike Wilson »

Seems to me there has been a previous thread on the topic of the degree of restoration vs. preservation, etc. It all boils down to personal preference and desired outcome. A lot of people have daily drivers and as such, aren't afraid to drive them. Others enjoy the process of restoration and try to achieve perfection, sometimes well-exceeding factory original condition. And yes, there are people that look at a car as an investment even if a car is bought, restored and then sold at a profit.

When I restored my car, I wanted it to have as many original parts as possible and had it painted with single stage paint. It is not numbers-matching, the interior is not factory-correct and even the paint, slate gray, is a bit darker than it should be but, I wanted the best restoration I could afford, not looking at resale value but what I personally wanted.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jon Schmid »

Hi Dave, I would undercoat the car and not just for the sake of originality. As for over restoring cars, my dad restored his (now my) '60 Roadster in 1990 and went with the single stage Glasurit paint when he changed the color from a gawd awful silver metallic color back to its original ivory. The paint is still in great shape. As for my '64 coupe, it has gawd awful silver metallic paint but it was a special order by the OO so when (if?) I get around to restoring it my challenge will be finding a "klose" enough color match.

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#10 Post by Dan Epperly »

I would undercoat simply because it help protect the bottom of the car and cuts down on road noise.

Dave Whittick
356 Fan

#11 Post by Dave Whittick »

The plan for the car is correct color single stage respray and correct color interior although upgraded to leather. It's a matching numbers car and relatively unmolested. My plan was to undercoat the floors and rockers but body color the wheel wells and space under the tank. I just really prefer the look.

John Hawkins
356 Fan

#12 Post by John Hawkins »

Dave,
If you drive the car at all, you should consider at least undercoating under the fenders to prevent gravel from dinging the fenders and causing star cracks in the paint.

Dave Whittick
356 Fan

#13 Post by Dave Whittick »

John Hawkins wrote:Dave,
If you drive the car at all, you should consider at least undercoating under the fenders to prevent gravel from dinging the fenders and causing star cracks in the paint.
I've restored several cars and I've had great luck with a rubberized undercoating under the highbuild then paint. It allows some flex and reduces stone chips. I really like the look of a detailed car and rather dislike the thought of undercoating visible parts of the car like wheel wells. I planned on undercoating the floors.
Here's my 63 rag roof beetle that I painted in 2015 at a show last summer. 3000 miles on the car so far.

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#14 Post by Bill Lawless »

Sandblasted the underside, engine compartment, front trunk, 2 coats of POR15, 1 heavy coat of Wurth Stoneguard
I think it came out good...
IMG_5506.jpg
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350

Dave Whittick
356 Fan

#15 Post by Dave Whittick »

Bill Lawless wrote:Sandblasted the underside, engine compartment, front trunk, 2 coats of POR15, 1 heavy coat of Wurth Stoneguard
I think it came out good...
IMG_5506.jpg
Wow! Looks great!!