Ponto Stabil Mirror factory mounting instructions

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Andreas Hartl
356 Fan

Ponto Stabil Mirror factory mounting instructions

#1 Post by Andreas Hartl »

I am working on a B T6 restoration project. The driver door was missing so I had to replace it with a new door. Does anybody know how the Ponto Stabil mirror on the driver side has been mounted by the factory? Best would be a drawing with exact measurements.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Ponto Stabil Mirror factory mounting instructions

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Andreas: I don't have the exact measurements of the mounting holes for the Ponto Stabil but allow me to share my experience mounting mirrors in my car, a '63 B coupe.

When I first bought my car, it came with a driver's side Durant mirror. Wanting increased visibility, I mounted another Durant symmetrical to the driver's side on the passenger side with a 3" bubble mirror. It worked very well. However, when I restored the car, I went with the Ponto Stabil mirrors. Not as much visibility but period correct. Doing more research, the Talbot Berlin mirrors were installed. However, if you mount them where the attachment nuts can be accessed through the mirror access holes in the door, you may not have the best position for visibility. My driver's side mirror is o.k. but the passenger side would need to be move back about 1-2"s for optimum visibility.

When I had the Durant mirrors, I had to remove the door panels to install them. Not a big deal.

My screw up was not positioning the mirrors after the seats were installed and sitting in my driving position.

I hope my experience is of help to you.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Brett Johnson
Registry Hall of Fame

#3 Post by Brett Johnson »

Andreas,

The two attached factory photos are of new 356B Carrera 2 coupes. The one with the mirror has a Ponto installed. The other one is a homologation GT photo with tape over the original mounting holes. The tape was to facilitate subsequent air-brushing...

These should give you a rough idea. The doors had no holes when fabricated and I suspect the actual mounting was likely eyeballed -- please correct me if I am mistaken.
Attachments
Mirror placement 2.jpg
Mirror placement 1.jpg
Brett Johnson

Andreas Hartl
356 Fan

#4 Post by Andreas Hartl »

Hi Mike & Brett,
Many thanks for the superquick reply.
Helps a lot.
Will install the mirror over the weekend and report back.
Andreas

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

I'm glad we could be of help. Keep us posted.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe