Interior

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mark Lomax
356 Fan

Interior

#1 Post by Mark Lomax »

My interior on my '63 is beat up and was removed when they did the floors many many years ago. It's red but the darker version which I haven't seen on some of the interior sites.
So should I:

a. Replace just the worn out parts (80%)
b. Replace the entire interior to its original vinyl
c. Replace the entire interior with an upgrade to leather (does this improvement do anything to the value?)

Note: Entire interior means everything.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Interior

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

If you can match near 100% then you can just replace what is needed. I looked at a 63 with Fawn interior. All original except front seats. Seats didn't match the rest very well. I would not have been happy with the mismatch. I also think the "Lipstick Red" is too red. But I am not a purist. I say do it whatever color you would love. The good shops will match colors for you.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

I essentially had the same dilemma when I restored my car. Most of the black vinyl interior was in good to excellent condition but the headliner was going to be replaced as well as the dash top and there were some other small blems on other pieces. Since metal work needed to be done, it was all removed. Talking to my upholsterer, we agreed to replace it all since the grain of the new vinyl might not match the old and pieces might not fit as before. The only things I didn't have redone were the seats and head rests. Fortunately, as Doug has seen, there isn't much of a mismatch.

As far as leather vs. vinyl, I think for some it does add value and to others, it's just a personal preference. I agree with Doug, the lipstick red is too red for my taste (the original interior of my slate gray coupe was red). There are darker reds that are not as bright.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#4 Post by Jim Liberty »

The color selection in vinyl is almost limitless. Not so for leather. Unless you are doing leather just because you want it go ahead, In my opinion I don't think it will impact the value. Today's vinyls are so good, it is almost impossible to tell the difference. I would opt to do the entire car. Autos International will sell you the kit.

………………………………………..Jim.
Jim Liberty

Mark Reich
356 Fan

#5 Post by Mark Reich »

I upgraded to leather and really like it. I don't know if it adds value but I can't imagine it would detract. Love the leather.
Mark Reich
'61 T5B Super Coupe - Heron Grey
'18 911 Carrera - Miami Blue

John Linden
356 Fan

#6 Post by John Linden »

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva ... 93463.html

The above craigslist ad shows a 1964 356 interior in red. According to the ad, the interior is original and was removed from a 1964 356C many years ago. This may be a good reference to what the color of an original red interior looked like back in the day. No recommendation on my part. I know nothing about the seller, the price or the condition. But it sure does look original and it certainly is red.

John Linden
Alamo, CA
John Linden
Alamo, CA
63 Cab

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Doug McDonnell »

1965 year only seat hinges so ad may not be entirely accurate.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#8 Post by Martin Bruechle »

That Craigslist red interior is pretty cool. Not sure about $9000 cool though ?
My 65 came black with red interior and has a worn out white vinyl interior now.

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#9 Post by Jim Liberty »

OK, I just have to say it again. Porsche bought vinyl, carpet and paint in large quantities. From dye lot, to dye lot the color was never exactly the same. Probably close but not the same. Same for leather especially, I buy three hides always, to allow for bad spots, and plenty for repairs.

………………………….Jim.

PS. Put a color you like, unless it is a serious show, or rare car.
Jim Liberty

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

#10 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

Mark I had a similar dilemma on my '62. My tan interior was all original and in excellent condition throughout the car (I got the car from the last owner for over 50 years). Except for the driver's seat which had been recovered in an awful brown smooth vinyl. I found some correct Porsche pattern vinyl in tan to cover the seat. However, the original vinyl on the passenger seat and elsewhere had faded slightly. I elected to recover both seats with the new vinyl but stopped there to preserve the originality as much as possible. I kept the vinyl from the passenger seat for any future purposes.
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

George Hussey
356 Fan

#11 Post by George Hussey »

replace with the factory original color vinyl

Mark Lomax wrote:My interior on my '63 is beat up and was removed when they did the floors many many years ago. It's red but the darker version which I haven't seen on some of the interior sites.
So should I:

a. Replace just the worn out parts (80%)
b. Replace the entire interior to its original vinyl
c. Replace the entire interior with an upgrade to leather (does this improvement do anything to the value?)

Note: Entire interior means everything.
George Hussey

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#12 Post by Edwin Ek »

It's your car. Do you prefer leather? If so, make the upgrade. Roadsters never came with leather, but many are restored with it. Their value is enhanced, not diminished.