Blue Angels noise ratio

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Blue Angels noise ratio

#1 Post by Ron LaDow »

So SF got the Blue Angels today, and yep, it's always fun.
But 4 went over the abode pretty low (500'; guess. Not rivet-counting close, but see the pilot if they were upside-down close). NOISY!
But it got me to wondering: How much is the jet exhaust and how much is a result of the air being violently shoved aside and then slapping back together (as in thunder)?
Anybody got a clue?
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

Re: Blue Angels noise ratio

#2 Post by Martin Bruechle »

I lived in Brawley near El Centro (10 miles from Mexico) in the middle of Calif.
They train down there and they were always buzzing around,

Heard about a retired Bee Keeper in Brawley with a 356. Tracked the guy down and saw a dusty Pre A all complete and nice.
He didn't want to sell it in 1999. Last year I did some extensive searching calling people and found they guy again.
Said he sold the car couple years ago to his Doctor. Oh well.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#3 Post by Wes Bender »

Ron LaDow wrote:So SF got the Blue Angels today, and yep, it's always fun.
But 4 went over the abode pretty low (500'; guess. Not rivet-counting close, but see the pilot if they were upside-down close). NOISY!
But it got me to wondering: How much is the jet exhaust and how much is a result of the air being violently shoved aside and then slapping back together (as in thunder)?
Anybody got a clue?
The ratio is probably a variable that changes with aircraft type, engine size and type and the speed.

Obvious example: Sub-sonic would be mostly exhaust sound. Supersonic would add the thunderclap of the shockwave. Afterburner would also increase the exhaust sound. Maybe a good question for AgentJayZ.......
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#4 Post by Wes Bender »

An aside: Another guy and I were loading a small blast at an iron mine near Lovelock, Nevada. We were in the bottom of the pit which resembled a miniature Grand Canyon. Two jets from NAS Fallon flew over low and supersonic. We thought we were dead.......
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jon Schmid »

Years ago, when they flew F-4 Phantoms, those suckers were LOUD. I grew up living under one of the landing flight lines for the old El Toro air base and it was near ear splitting. But cool for a 12 YO kid...

George Walling
356 Fan

#6 Post by George Walling »

I don't know the effect they have on the air but living in the flight pattern of the F-15 school house runway for pilots the sound is a sweet sound of freedom. also always enjoyed the sound of the F-4 and F-16 when they were the training planes for the school house.
George E Walling

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#7 Post by Ron LaDow »

Wes Bender wrote: The ratio is probably a variable that changes with aircraft type, engine size and type and the speed.
Obvious example: Sub-sonic would be mostly exhaust sound. Supersonic would add the thunderclap of the shockwave. Afterburner would also increase the exhaust sound. Maybe a good question for AgentJayZ.......
They're flying F-18s, but I have no idea how that relates to other choices.
We were on a boat several years ago; same planes. One did a very low pass (got rooster tails) and misjudged his speed just a bit: BOOOM!!
So, yep, when they go trans-sonic, it ups the noise level a LOT.
And, Jon? It's still cool to a 72YO kid going on 15...
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jon Schmid »

Well Ron, you know the old adage regarding F-4's. Given enough thrust, a brick can fly... :P

George Walling
356 Fan

#9 Post by George Walling »

back in 1965 when in VN we nick named the f-4 the Rino, big old war horse.
George E Walling

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jack Walter »

F-22's put out about 133 DB at full throttle on the flight line - that is very, very loud.
On the delivery flight after they were DD-250'd the pilot would stand the jet on its tail once it cleared the runway and go straight up to past 40,000 feet - they said they had to be careful not to go supersonic during the vertical climb.

C-5A's and C5-B's were loud but the F-22 was even louder. Its a 42,000 pound airplane with over 70,000 pounds of thrust.
Attachments
raptor&356.jpg