Pre A Brake Lights

For Pre A discussions and questions
Susan Peifer
356 Fan

Pre A Brake Lights

#1 Post by Susan Peifer »

Hi, The bee hive brake lights are so hard for other motorists to see in daylight that we hesitate to drive the car. Does anyone know of a third brakelight hookup with LEDs that can be put on the back of the car temporarily when driving and then removed? Maybe something that attaches to the deck grille.

Phil Planck
356 Fan

Re: Pre A Brake Lights

#2 Post by Phil Planck »

Bracket1.JPG
I made a bracket that attaches with the upper grill screws. A modified 12v light (to work on 6v)was attached to the bracket and wire tapped into brake light wire. Bracket can be pivoted for best visibilty from behind.

Also, if you have replacement bee hives with 2 poles, you can interconnect them so you have 4 tail lights and 4 rear brake lights. Polishing reflectors with semichrome helps.
Phil Planck

Kevin Wills
356 Fan

#3 Post by Kevin Wills »

Susan Peifer
356 Fan

#4 Post by Susan Peifer »

Thanks to you both for the information, very helpful! I always use hand signals but no one under fifty knows what I'm waving my arms for. Sue

David Green
356 Fan

#5 Post by David Green »

Rather than an external light consider simply replacing the bulbs with CULayer LEDs that are very bright and draw a fraction of the incandescent bulbs' current. You will likely have to change the flasher to an electronic one. Sierra Madre sells one that doesn't require a separate ground wire - just plug-in. Many of us use the CULayer LEDs. Note that they fit within '54 and later beehive lenses.
David

http://culayer.com

Susan Peifer
356 Fan

#6 Post by Susan Peifer »

Thanks for the CUlayer tip, we had been looking for LED lights that would fit the beehives and the info we were finding was confusing as to whether they would work. These are very straightforward. Something to try first and then consider the external light if still needed. Appreciate all the help from everyone, you guys are the best. Sue

Frank Hood
356 Registry Member

#7 Post by Frank Hood »

Found this in our Vendor section.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=46679

Frank

Susan Peifer
356 Fan

#8 Post by Susan Peifer »

Thanks Jack, I've ordered the CUlayer beehive brake lights and after seeing how they solve the problem, I may still want an extra light. I like this product you posted, especially with the signal function. All of these ideas have been so helpful. We just had our cars out today for 'drive your 356 day'' and fortunately we were on country roads without much traffic. I hope others are seeing these ideas, lucky to have smart people working on this... I knew I wasn't alone. Sue

Frank Hood
356 Registry Member

#9 Post by Frank Hood »

Susan

Would love to see a pic of your car! Please post if you would like to share.

Thanks
Frank