WCSTA -28- 1956 Speedster 82772, 17 years exposed 41 Dry

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Mark Todorovich
356 Fan
Tag: Drive em

Re: We Can Save Them All! New Entry 56 Speedster 82772

#1 Post by Mark Todorovich »

Twice Barn find, once Warehouse find. Forgive my story, but it certainly is an important part of this cars History which is wound into mine and my marriage’s. I met my wife at a PCA picnic. In September of 1973, because of that she has sometimes participated and always endured my addiction. At the end of 73 there was an ad in Panorama, that someone was planning on going racing and he would trade a stripped Speedster for a complete 356 motor. My close friend Fred Thatcher had a spare motor and I bought it for less than the price of a tire today. I arranged to go pick up the car in farm country in southern Illinois. I thought a great day would be the day of my wife’s wedding shower. Little did I know that I was supposed to stop by and uh and awe at all of the beautiful gifts.
Instead in a borrowed car and trailer I showed up to pick up the car. There were two speedsters in a decrepit old shed on a farm back lot. I felt I made a great deal because I got the one that had a Windshield and frame. I’m not sure my confidence was so high when I opened both doors and the frame sagged. I had already arranged with Ted Melsheimer who started Groupe 356 in St Louis to keep it in his barn on the back of his property. The car had a bill of sale from a Sherriffs auction , I gathered that it had been stolen and stripped in the 50’s. All of the rust is from the top down. There wasn’t any floor , but the battery box and fender wells are all extremely solid. Since I had a 60 roadster that I had just blown the engine on and my wife had our 52 Coupe , a 60 Cab, and a 65 911. I had no money our time to do anything but stash it .
As you all know time flies, 13 years later Ted calls and tells me I have to move my car as he is going to tear down the shed and build a nice garage. The Pictures of it on its wheels are from then with Ted in the German helmut celebrating his and the cars cultural history. I moved it between a couple of Warehouses and manufacturing facilities where I was able to find some protected space.
I’m not sure how long it has been at Dawson’s Speed shop. At least 20 years. Over that time we have stripped it of everything and done a little tin work. I stopped Jerry because the car had become so valuable that I felt we had to have the work done by a well recognized shop. Jerry Dawson is a fabulous welder and has built dragsters and funny cars that stay straight at 240 mph. Since then I have had the steering wheel done by Kochs, Gauges by Hollywood, and through the old talk list picked up high bow top, original red side curtains, original speedster seats in a horrid caramel vinyl, and a 56 engine case about 40 cars removed. We have rebuilt all of the brakes and transmission. This could be the goad that finally gets me pushed through to the finish on this project.
Attachments
speedted.jpg
speed3.jpg
speed1.jpg
dawsons garage.jpg
speedsterrear.jpg
speedsterjalopy.jpg
Mark Todorovich 4243
52 Coupe
56 Speedster project now underway
63 Cab?

Mark Todorovich
356 Fan

WCSTA -28- 1956 Speedster 82772, 17 years exposed 41 Dry

#2 Post by Mark Todorovich »

engine number 63515 looking for (I have 63823) Trans 12089 rebuilt by local legend Rudy Goodues. Check out the bumpers already painted in Aquamarine
Attachments
Aquamarine metallic.jpg
speedrf.jpg
spdrear.jpg
speedint.jpg

Mark Todorovich
356 Fan

Re: WCSTA Vote Vote Vote

#3 Post by Mark Todorovich »

As a response to Glens post and to ask for as many votes as I can get I want to show some more pictures and discuss my car. I have been gathering parts for decades. Years ago I picked up the seats from the talk list from Canada , perfect wood base and hinges, hideous caremel coler.The original gauges and steering wheel were sent to Palo Alto and Kochs they have been stunningly redone. The top came from California the PO switched to a low bow,this top is perfect also. The original side curtains were an eBay find. It doesn't look like they were used much.i have a redone set of bumpers already finished in Aquamarine . The PO had researched the color and had two sets redone. The trans is matching number and redone . I have all of the major parts for motor but want to time its completion with bodywork. Sitting is no good for moving parts.

The difficult part of redoing is sourcing all of the missing bits. I have tried to do most of that first. Most of the bright work has been re chromed or polished already. I commit to completing this car. Your vote would really help.
Check out my WCSTA post 17 years exposed 41 dry.thanks to Stoddard for a great contest as well as being the go to source that keeps our hobby alive and to all of you who favor my project with a vote.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Mark Todorovich 4243
52 Coupe
63 Cab?

Mark Todorovich
356 Fan

Re: WCSTA -28- 1956 Speedster 82772, 17 years exposed 41 Dr

#4 Post by Mark Todorovich »

In response to posts about doing the work. I have been working hard on my wifes 52 in order to finish and have the time to devote to the speedster. I am pretty close , adding all the gauges , putting in quarter windows and installing interior is the punch list.
We just finished my sons 67 Bug that he had purchased painted and in pieces.
Other projects i have done include my 69 911T i bought as a tarted up boy racer and redid as a lovely stock car true to its period.
I have the commitment and the experiance to get this done. Your help will push me along. Thanks
Mark
Attachments
1969 911T 003.jpg
911side.JPG
pam52bday.JPG
pamscars2.JPG
vw orange.jpg
Mark Todorovich 4243
52 Coupe
63 Cab?

Roy Smalley
356 Fan

#5 Post by Roy Smalley »

Mark were there remnants of the original vinyl on the doors or dash trim and if so, color? Or do you have the cardex that gives the interior colors? If original Aquamarine Metallic according to Heinrich's book, 56 only came with tan upholstery, tan carpet and a tan top. Just trying to see if there were variations offered beyond the standard that early in the game......

The top factory sample page looks to be blue under a magnification....

Roy Smalley
http://www.eurowerks.com
 Roy Smalley
Texas

Mark Todorovich
356 Fan

#6 Post by Mark Todorovich »

Roy, it looks like the side cards were painted or dyed black. See the red behind escutcheons and on back. I have the certificate of authority at my office I'll post Tuesday
Attachments
image.jpg
Mark Todorovich 4243
52 Coupe
63 Cab?

Mark Todorovich
356 Fan

#7 Post by Mark Todorovich »

Here is the COI. I came across the Speedster seats , and I think they will be cool when re upholstered. The other pictures illustrate how little rust there is other than the floors. my theory has always been that it rusted from being exposed without a top, not from driving around. Battery box, wheel wells, doors. and headlights are all very solid for a car that has had this much abuse.
this car is going to completed. your vote could really move up the schedule.
Thanks
Mark
Attachments
Picture6.jpg
Picture6.jpg (54.67 KiB) Viewed 7881 times
Picture5.jpg
Picture5.jpg (65.15 KiB) Viewed 7881 times
Picture4.jpg
Picture4.jpg (55.21 KiB) Viewed 7881 times
Picture3.jpg
Picture3.jpg (55.64 KiB) Viewed 7881 times
Picture1.jpg
Picture2.jpg
Mark Todorovich 4243
52 Coupe
63 Cab?

Roy Smalley
356 Fan

#8 Post by Roy Smalley »

Thanks. The color stated would imply it was non metallic; perhaps just an omission. The color on the doors sure look to be metallic to me, assuming that is original. (if it is and there is sufficient coverage, you should consider having it scanned and color matched). Also, the black running down the doors is probably the dye used on the panels?? Metallic is a much different color than non metallic, and according to all I have read, Aqua metallic was the only blue offered on speedsters in 1956, and the majority I have seen that have been restored are metallic. What is your opinion about the doors? It appears Aqua metallic was only offered in 1956; the 57 on color charts show non metallic, and before 56 blue speedsters were 'sky' blue. Aqua metallic was prone to very early failure.

I see seats were original coupe seats.

Would you check the underside of the door card panel and see if there are any chalk mark numbers and if they correspond to your vin?

Also, is the eyebrow originally red and the other trim?

I see the inside of the side curtains are red, but the outside sure looks blue? Is that correct and do they look to be original? Could you take a close up photo of the exterior showing the stitching?

Appreciate you posting this......
 Roy Smalley
Texas

Mark Todorovich
356 Fan

#9 Post by Mark Todorovich »

Roy, I couldn't find any markings on back of door cards. In lower back corner of passenger door there was some smudged white that could have been chalk . I might be seeing part oa V as the only marking. The eye brow cover is definitely red that has been dyed flack . I have four 16/3.25 wheels dated 2/55. The paint code is 607. I can't get to side curtains tonight but I will. Thanks for your interest.
Mark
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Mark Todorovich 4243
52 Coupe
63 Cab?

Mark Todorovich
356 Fan

#10 Post by Mark Todorovich »

Roy, i suspect you are right about it being Aquamarine Metallic. the paint code is 607. According to Willhoits website it is AM. I have also sent the formuls that I recieved from Bob Cannon years ago. I am attaching a link to the sales add from the car which I bought the original bumpers. It was done in Chicago.

http://www.europeancollectables.com/inv ... equence=26

http://www.willhoitautorestoration.com/paintsamples.php

January, 2002
Aquamarine Blue Metallic Paint Formula
56 Porsche (matched to paint under chassis number plate)
Glasurit 55 line: basecoat/clear coat
Basecoat formula for 1 Gallon:
GLA55A427 346.9 (grams)
A548 614.8
A125 939.7
M99/09 1907.8
1240 2405.5
A696 2659.8
A531 2862.8
MO 3121.0
352-91 3170.9
Mark Todorovich 4243
52 Coupe
63 Cab?

Mark Todorovich
356 Fan

#11 Post by Mark Todorovich »

These side curtains are original ,but not from my car. The outside is black and the inside red. Notice the holes on the lower corners, what am i missing? Thanks to everyone that has voted for me. If you are still on the fence, I promise to do you proud with this car. i have been in love with these cars forever. My son Cole is just as involved but doing a lot of learning, trading and fixing up Vw's and Harleys.
Thanks
Mark
Attachments
sidcurts2.jpg
sidcurts1.jpg
Mark Todorovich 4243
52 Coupe
63 Cab?

Mark Todorovich
356 Fan

#12 Post by Mark Todorovich »

The Speedster is in process. We moved it from Dawson's speed shop in St. Louis to Pasemetos in Chi town. After owning it for 42 years and never having driven it . I have committed to a first class reconstruction. I am not sure how comfortable I'll be with that nice a car, but Pam's 52 which will be on the road and at shows this summer will give me taste of having to worry about a car, rather than look for places to get the rear ended a little loose.
The finished one is same year same color in Tom Funk's shop when we got there.
Every journey starts with a small step , ours was about 250 miles to Chicago.
Attachments
IMG_0667.JPG
IMG_0521.JPG
IMG_0533.JPG
Mark Todorovich 4243
52 Coupe
63 Cab?

Mark Todorovich
356 Fan

#13 Post by Mark Todorovich »

an update. Lot's of body parts have shown up at Pete's in Chicago. Mostly from Trevor. We are moving along , As you can see we still have along way to go , but it's going to get done.
mark
Attachments
294.JPG
287.JPG
283.JPG
254.JPG
250.JPG
Mark Todorovich 4243
52 Coupe
63 Cab?

Stephen Masefield
356 Fan

#14 Post by Stephen Masefield »

You may know this from other sources... whilst you have the floor out double check the position of the master cylinder hole and mounting bolt holes. Several repro offerings have their holes 'off' and need re positioning .... Check by placing some steel as a 'pseudo' drivers side floor and see how the pedal assembly offers up...hole too low on mine prior to fixing . (sorry its sideways - refuses to insert with correct orientation !)
P1020123.JPG
Steve
'57 Coupe
'61 Sunroof Coupe
'79 911SC Targa (Stupidly sold)
'23 Subaru BRZ (poor mans Porsche)
Ford Diesel to haul 'stuff'

Mark Todorovich
356 Fan

#15 Post by Mark Todorovich »

Body work is done. They are currently assembling all the trim over the primer after it fits perfectly they will disassemble paint and reassemble. Then on to mechanical electric and interior. I just had a wrench thrown in the process of someone enquiring about buying it. Either as is or after paint and trim assembly.
I am a little unclear about what completed value is as well as current unfinished . ANy help on that would be appreciated.
Notice in previous posts what has already been done.
Tranny is matching number and rebuilt. Motor isn't but the case I have is a 56 and about 300 numbers different.
Attachments
primtub.jpg
primrtside.jpg
primerfrnt.jpg
prmrear.jpg
Mark Todorovich 4243
52 Coupe
63 Cab?