Distributor for 356A T2 1959

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Freddy Rabbat
356 Fan
Tag: Real Carreras have 4 cams

Distributor for 356A T2 1959

#1 Post by Freddy Rabbat »

Hi folks,
I just discovered my 356A T2 1600 normal was sold to me with a VW distributor.
What is the best source to get a correct replacement complete distributor for my car?
Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Cheers,

Freddy
www.356carrera.net

Pascal Giai
356 Fan

Re: Distributor for 356A T2 1959

#2 Post by Pascal Giai »

Freddy

You need a BR18...
My friend John Jenkins is restoring them very well.

Are you coming to Rennsport Reunion ???

Pascal Giai, San Diego

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#3 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

Freddy Rabbat wrote:Hi folks,
I just discovered my 356A T2 1600 normal was sold to me with a VW distributor.
What is the best source to get a correct replacement complete distributor for my car?
Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Cheers,
Use of the descriptor "correct" may make the restoration more complex when it comes to fitting parts like the condenser, rotor and cap for the T2. Also the black ignition wire with ring connectors each end that is fit between the distributor and coil available from Vendors today is not quite "correct" even if you have assured the "correct" hand and number of coils [turns] imparted thereto is valid. Fitting of the "correct" insulator in the housing of said black wire to the points has been supplanted by most of the builders for other methods as well due to its absence. Bosch points will have the logo and an original "correct" condenser bracket as well. The latter has vanished for the most part as has the logo on the ferrule that is fit to the end of the fuel hose at the later installed fuel pumps. And don't forget that little "V" on the connecting fastener for the banjo fitting at the carburetor. All this "correctness" can be carried much, much to far--but I bear witness to loss of a top finish at a Parade Concour because the car entered failed to have the "correct" coil number for the engine that was fit to the car. Not my car. I retired from that competition in 1964.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Freddy
I have a rebuildable one for you if you ever visit me for free. BTW the original owner of the Cab (1 of 2 1965s) I used to own was Johnny Halliday I wished I had known that before I offered it for sale I was a fan. Is the Cab registry still on line?
j

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#5 Post by Jim Liberty »

John Jenkins at Carburetor Rescue can help. He rebuilds all my distributors, and his partner Jim K. works his magic on my carbs. ………………..Jim.
Jim Liberty

Freddy Rabbat
356 Fan
Tag: Real Carreras have 4 cams

#6 Post by Freddy Rabbat »

Hi Pascal, Jacques and John, thank you very much for your inputs, I got a nice BR18 from Brian Smith http://www.sparkingplugs.com/4.html and will have it installed next week on my car.
Will post here my feedback on the final result.

Jacques, I would love to be around your area to pick up one on a sought after visit to your place full of rare parts!! I will use your kind offer one day!!

Hi Albert, I love the concept of correct, but I go as far as form follows function... It is going to a car that was never restored that I love to drive. I fully agree with your concept of not competing on the extremes.

Cheers my friends!!

Freddy
www.356carrera.net