Nice car, wonder who it belongs to.

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Chris Mann
356 Fan

Nice car, wonder who it belongs to.

#1 Post by Chris Mann »

Dollars to donuts, it does not belong to the seller. The price is almost high enough to suck folks in.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Porsche-3 ... 3r&vxp=mtr
Chris Mann

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Nice car, wonder who it belongs to.

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Not a "buy it Now", nor can you place a bid. "Contact Seller"; sure; right away.
BS!

C J Murray
356 Fan

#3 Post by C J Murray »

I see no reason to think the ad is a fake. The body is a mess. Look closely, an extra $50k would make it nice maybe. The cherry on the top is the mirror placement. The car is a shiny driver that should be popping out with rust bubbles within 24 months.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I am pretty sure this one was on Indianapolis Craigslist last year.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Eric Lenius
356 Fan
Tag: More is More

#5 Post by Eric Lenius »

Youch CJ!

I did not notice the mess when I was driving it to work this morning. Though either the speedo or the speedo cable is making more noise than it should...And, I really need to vacuum and dust the interior. Yes, it is imperfect. A good driver as you say. It has, however, never been clipped on either end. Minor partial floor board replacement on the passenger side. The big defect is are the doors. Whomever did the work messed up on the passenger door. Anyway, all seen when I bought it in Idaho in Oct 2016. Which, is the source of the pictures being used in this ebay listing. The seller took some nice pictures for the advertisements at the time. Apparently this scammer thinks so as well. And, this is not the first time the pictures have been re-used. Anyhow! 221581 is currently titled to me. And parked in the parking lot here at work.

I am happy with the car. Drives great. Runs even better. Uses no oil. And, I personally like Irish Green.

Maybe a mess is the way to go! I'd buy it again..... :)

Eric L.

Eric Lenius
356 Fan

#6 Post by Eric Lenius »

In short though, yes, the ad is fake.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Doug McDonnell »

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965- ... 6sc-coupe/ Here is where it was actually for sale.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Eric Lenius
356 Fan

#8 Post by Eric Lenius »

Yes, and it was also advertised on the registry classified.

George Hussey
356 Fan

#9 Post by George Hussey »

even with the bad doors and the rest of the bodywork, 50 would have been a great buy if the ad was real. Certainly looked like the original factory insulation was under the rubber mats
George Hussey

C J Murray
356 Fan

#10 Post by C J Murray »

Hi Eric, sorry to be harsh but that was my opinion and yes the doors were what I saw as an indication of very expensive repairs ahead. When doors are that far off I suspect large amounts of Bondo covering really bad metal work. There is nothing wrong with that if the price is in line with the condition and the price on eBay seems about right to me as long as the car drives well and gives the owner a fun 356 experience. It seemed to me that there were people thinking that the price was too low and therefore it must be a scam. Yes it is a scam but I don't see the price being the reason. You are well within your rights to characterize my use of the word "mess" as being not nice. For that I apologize since I well know that to many my cars are a mess also. Each owner has their own standard that makes them happy and I have no right to characterize your car as a mess if you paid your idea of a fair price and it fills your needs. Now, let me tell you why I despise concours trailer queens.... :P Enjoy driving your car.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Eric Lenius
356 Fan

#11 Post by Eric Lenius »

CJ,

No issue with being nice. I intended to put a smiley face after the "youch". Sort of funny considering how good the car has been. It is really just an issue with the passenger door. The drivers door is not bad. It appears that the repairs were done off of the car for some reason. Anyhow, even the new guy was able to detect that in person. It was a topic of conversation and resulted in about a month and a half between the original trip down to inspect and the seller reducing the price. The guy is an excellent mechanic though. I flew down again, paid, jumped in and drove 950 miles home.

These details are even funnier considering what a micromaniac I am......

Eric L.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#12 Post by Adam Wright »

The pics look a lot more like Idaho than Mass.

I see this a lot in fake ads, car is in NY, but there are palm trees in the pictures, stuff like that.

Be careful everyone, if you think it's your lucky day, it probably isn't. Here is my standard rant, and keep in mind, I've never bought a car that doesn't exist, and I've bought 356's into the thousands.

Rant on Scams, Advice for buyers and sellers. Flame Suit On!
First a word to sellers, there are a couple of things we can do to make it harder for the scammers.

1. It's important when you sell a car to watermark the pictures somehow. There are a million apps for this but you can also go oldschool. When someone I don't know asks me for pictures of a car, I say sure, and cover it in magnets. If they are interested in buying the car they don't care, if they are trying to picture flip or worse, just use the pictures their plans are foiled.
2. It's also why I always take pictures for ebay in the same spot in my shop, that way people recognize the place. I've actually had people call me and say someone was trying to sell one of my cars but they recognized my shop, so it works.

Next a word to buyers.
1. Be careful out there everybody, the more these things are valuable, the more risk, a wise man once said buy the seller not the car.
2. If you think you are being super clever staying up all night searching the dark corner's of the internet and found that Porsche listed on an obscure website and it's just your lucky day or you found some dealer in a small town with a slick website who just doesn't know what he has, don't send the deposit, it isn't your lucky day. If you found it on the internet the gig is up, anyone who can setup a website and take pictures of rare car, can do five minutes of research and won't put it on their site for half of it's true value.
Now if you're pumping gas in your 911 and some guy walks up to you and says he has his uncle's old Porch, do you want to come look at it, that might be real, but if you find it online and it seems like it too good to be true, it is. There was once a time when you could scan craigslist and jump on a deal, that day is long gone. I went to see a well known flipper in NYC several years ago, he had three Indian women sitting in front of computers hitting re-fresh on every craigslist, every classic car forum, and every other avenue every few seconds, that's why that dude calls you within 15 minutes of you placing an ad, trust me you can't compete with that, so if a craigslist ad has been up for more than 15 minutes and it seems like your lucky day, it isn't.
Bottom line, if you find a "super deal" on the internet there is a 90% chance that it is a scam, and if it's not, some flipper will offer the guy way more, and you'll be out of the deal. Another well known west coast flipper will always pay more, just to get people to stop trying. I once won a sealed bid estate auction for three Porsches. Once this guy found out it was me he said, "I'll pay 20% over whatever Adam bid!" Luckily, the seller was a gentleman and I got the cars. But he was willing to do anything to best me.
If you want a deal on a Porsche go out and make some friends, meet other Porsche guys, the best cars never see a for sale sign, they just quietly trade hands amongst Porsche guys. Most of the cars I buy are not advertised, people just know to call me, but all I do is make myself known. I seen some of the best deals happen between two friends, so if you are in the market for a Porsche, get out there and drive, don't surf the net, there are no deals there, but there are lots of scammers.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#13 Post by Jim Nelson »

Adam Wright wrote:.... the best cars never see a for sale sign, they just quietly trade hands amongst Porsche guys. .....

+1 I'm selling a fairly rare car now, and truer words were never spoken. No advertisements anywhere, just word of mouth, with plenty of interest.

Fred Otjen
356 Fan

#14 Post by Fred Otjen »

Since I'm looking for a C in this price range I responded to this ad a month or so ago. eBay promptly sent me an email advising me not to continue with future correspondence and let them know if the seller tried to contact me. So, end of that. Still looking by the way.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#15 Post by Adam Wright »

jim nelson wrote:
Adam Wright wrote:.... the best cars never see a for sale sign, they just quietly trade hands amongst Porsche guys. .....

+1 I'm selling a fairly rare car now, and truer words were never spoken. No advertisements anywhere, just word of mouth, with plenty of interest.
I rarely buy a car that is advertised, this one followed me home over the weekend, barn fresh! I can say that because I literally had a mouse crawl over my hand while looking at the VIN!
Attachments
notchtrailer.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.