Done sand blasting...

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Bill Lawless
356 Fan

Done sand blasting...

#1 Post by Bill Lawless »

That nasty job is done.. But I had a few blow throughs where the rusted panel had thinned so much from the rust.. Not enough to replace full panels.
So is welding in patches the only solution or is there some cool trick that is much faster that I'm not aware of.. Somebody mentioned SEM Patch Panel Adhesive?? Not sure I'm sold on adhesive!!

thanks,
Bill
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Done sand blasting...

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

Panel bonding adhesive is good stuff, but it just doesn't seem appropriate for a 356. Also if you are patching a hole, it will require an overlapping patch. This type of patch welded in would be considered poor quality. If you are doing a restoration, stick with the molten steel.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ron LaDow »

I'm no panel guy, either beating or welding, but I'd back Martin here. A bonded patch may well work, but it it was ever detected, the value of the car is probably reduced by some large amount. Even if you have no plans on selling it, it will be sold and there's no reason to save a penny now and lose $100 later.
Anyone remember Miami-Air and his riveted and bonded Conv. D? I'd hate to have been the one to jack up one corner and try to open a door.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Benade »

A friend of mine owned a 59 Cab that had been structurally rebuilt with a huge number of medium-sized rivets. It was masterfully done, probably about as rigid as original, but it just wasn't right. It passed the jack test.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#5 Post by Adam Wright »

I looked at a friend's Speedster a few years ago, it had fiberglass floors, that he put in back in the 70s. Still there, still working, but you can bet the value of the car took a hit. So yes the only real answer is to weld in full panels or partial panels. The good thing about partial panels is you can many times leaves the Factory spot rivets and seams, so it looks pretty good when done.

When they re-did the floors on Speedster #1 that's what they did, little pieces, one at a time, but were able to save the seams on the Factory Floors. So it can be done well and it can be done right, just takes time and patience.
Attachments
1954 speedster.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#6 Post by Bill Lawless »

Thanks All,
Yeah, I didn't even know about the Patch Panel Adhesive, but it sounded like a cop out way to do it..

Enjoy Your weekend,
I'm heading to Trapp Family Lodge for some All German car show today...

Bill
 Thanks,
Bill
82' SC Targa

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#7 Post by Thomas Sottile »

Panel adhesive is use in many new cars construction the advantage is the ares will not rust were is is bonded. and will out last the car.

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#8 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Although I wouldn't suggest gluing panels on any 356 due to the value of these cars, I did epoxy four new quarter panels from the trim strip down on my MGB over 30 years ago. MGBs were (and still are) cheap and all I cared about was getting it done fast since it was my daily driver, and I couldn't weld.

I used countersunk pop rivets and PC-7 epoxy from the local hardware store. This was years before modern adhesives specifically developed for the purpose. No problems at all after all these years. In fact, I'd forgotten that's how I repaired it until reading this thread! Just last week it won second place at my town's monthly car show. No one can tell it has glued on panels unless they look in the trunk where you can see the seam on the sides.

Ron, it was a shame Miami-Air chose this method for his D as we all told him at the time, but not because it wouldn't work, just because it's, well...not an MGB.
Attachments
IMGP0376.jpg
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#9 Post by Adam Wright »

Thomas Sottile wrote:Panel adhesive is use in many new cars construction the advantage is the ares will not rust were is is bonded. and will out last the car.
Body shops use it a lot, I was told by my body guy to put the new rockers on my truck with this stuff. The problem is you can get it at NAPA, for around $30, but you have to have a $300 gun to use it correctly, so not so great for your average guy. I welded them on the truck.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#10 Post by Martin Benade »

If you are in the business, the body shop supply place will easily give you the gun for free, I have probably 5 of them, for different brands. I have seen the glue work great, and I have seen it work not so great, and it is hard to tell which result you got unless it falls apart.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#11 Post by Joris Koning »

Adam Wright wrote:When they re-did the floors on Speedster #1 that's what they did, little pieces, one at a time, but were able to save the seams on the Factory Floors. So it can be done well and it can be done right, just takes time and patience.
A, will have to look that up. Have all the documentation on that restoration. The floors indeed needed work!

J.
Attachments
IMG_20180909_105527.jpg
IMG_20180909_105437.jpg
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Roy Smalley
356 Fan

#12 Post by Roy Smalley »

Roy Smalley
Texas

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#13 Post by Martin Benade »

Just an opinion, if the occupants legs were trapped due to deformation, an extra 6" of roof deformation due to the roof letting go probably didn't have much to do with the floor/leg area deformation. I would also like to see if the same accident with a welded roof would fare any better.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#14 Post by Bill Lawless »

Martin Benade wrote:Panel bonding adhesive is good stuff, but it just doesn't seem appropriate for a 356. Also if you are patching a hole, it will require an overlapping patch. This type of patch welded in would be considered poor quality. If you are doing a restoration, stick with the molten steel.
Just re-reading this:
By "molten steel" do you mean something like this:
http://weldfabulous.com/bessey-lm-06-6o ... 48QAvD_BwE

Bill
 Thanks,
Bill
82' SC Targa