What type & size of tires to use / what fits? / "best" tire?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Tires for 65 C

#391 Post by David Jones »

I do agree that the Vredestein tire is probably a better choice but being a cheapskate and not driving my cars in the winter I decided to buy the Sumitomos for 50% of the cost of the Vredesteins and accept the limitation and the increased RPM.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Al Zim
356 Fan

#392 Post by Al Zim »

I first started using Michelin tires in 1963 on my Volvo PV544. I have never changed brands. The tires are round! That is important. The finish on the tires are excellent, and they usually do not deteriorate quickly. For the 356 my last purchases were the Michelin Defender 205/65X15. This tire is a little wide for a 4.5 inch rim. The edge of the tires will not be flat on the road unless you use factory inflation pressures. Reproduction Michelin tires manufactured by a tire company in the U.S. use a different case than the Michelin company uses and the construction is not the quality of Michelin. My Opinion al zim 2018/08/30
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#393 Post by David Jones »

Al, I found that 185's rubbed badly on the rear of the inner fenders and limited lock when parking and also made the low speed steering heavy. I imagine 205's would be even worse. Hopefully one does not have to negotiate too many hairpin bends in Texas.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Ashley James
356 Fan

#394 Post by Ashley James »

165 x 15 Vredestein T Tracs on my Healey 3000 and soon my 356C. IMO wider tyres spoil the ride and make steering heavier. Trouble is that they often feel better than worn out tyres they replace so you may not realise.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#395 Post by Adam Wright »

Tire rack has a "house brand" . It's called the Classic All Season, I've been using them and I like them. The price varies, I've gotten them for $65 each, but had to buy one last week and paid close to $90.
Attachments
tirerack.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#396 Post by David Jones »

Adam, What appears to be those classic tires are on amazon for $56. and here for less but more for shipping.https://simpletire.com/cordovan-p165-80r15-cpt08-tires
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#397 Post by Adam Wright »

David Jones wrote:Adam, What appears to be those classic tires are on amazon for $56. and here for less but more for shipping.https://simpletire.com/cordovan-p165-80r15-cpt08-tires
Wow, that's even better.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#398 Post by David Jones »

Adam, where are those classic tires made and what manufacturer does it say on the sidewall?
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#399 Post by Adam Wright »

Made in China, isn't everything?

No names, just Classic radial.
Attachments
IMG_2301.jpg
IMG_2300.jpg
IMG_2299.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#400 Post by Brad Ripley »

Actually, made by SHANDONG LINGLONG TYRE CO., LTD. 0U ZHAOYUAN CITY SHANDONG CHINA

To read the code, the first two digits after "DOT" , unless you miss the words "Made In China" that Adams photo'd. -- see http://www.tiresafetygroup.com/tire-dot ... lant-code/

Paul Lima
356 Fan

#401 Post by Paul Lima »

I'm with Al Zim. I don't like paying the higher prices, but with Michelin I've always gotten excellent quality. I'm going to try the 195-65 15 Premier A/S next (on my 5.5" wheels). This isn't the ultimate sports car tire, but an all around tire (emphasis on Round) with an outstanding reputation. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... mpare1=yes

Bob Morris
356 Fan

#402 Post by Bob Morris »

Thanks for all the advice. Went with the Vredestine Sprint from Tire Rack. Will be here next week.
Bob Morris
Emory TX
65 C
2007 Cayman S
2018 Macan S

John Clarke
356 Fan

#403 Post by John Clarke »

Hi Bob,
What a good choice you have made. We have The Vredestein Classic Sprints on both our cars in 165 x 15 .
I can't recommend them enough. Good looks for any Classic car, superb performance , both in wet and dry and at a very reasonable price ! David, didn't know there were tires that you couldn't use in cold weather .
Cheers Jay

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#404 Post by David Jones »

For what it is worth Jay, here is a write up on summer tires.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech ... techid=220
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Paul Lima
356 Fan

Re: What type & size of tires to use / what fits? / "best" t

#405 Post by Paul Lima »

Update on my Roadster tires; I found some Bridgestone RE960 A/S Pole Position in 195/65-15; these are what I had on the car and they are excellent performers (I think the euphemism is "spirited driving")