Stoddard/NLA New Stainless Exhaust - Who has installed one?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
C J Murray
356 Fan

Stoddard/NLA New Stainless Exhaust - Who has installed one?

#1 Post by C J Murray »

Cheers,
Has anybody installed the new stainless Stoddard/NLA exhaust system? How did it fit? Any leaks? How does it sound? Do you have any pictures? Pictures of the position of the tailpipe termination? I ask that question since some of us have cars with no bumper guards. Inquiring minds want to know!

Brad, are the 2/4 head pipes extended into the mufflers to equalize all 4 head pipe lengths?

https://www.stoddard.com/nla-111-010-05-ss.html.html
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

Re: Stoddard/NLA New Stainless Exhaust - Who has installed o

#2 Post by Brad Ripley »

CJ,

I have only briefly seen and driven a 912 with this exhaust. Sounds good and I experienced no flat spots in normal driving. However, I do not know about the internal construction of the mufflers or how far the pipes might go into each muffler. That type of info might be proprietary to Magnaflow (Car Sound Exhaust, Inc), the manufacturer of the system.

The exit pipes may be angled down slightly to clear the bumper if guards are not installed.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#3 Post by C J Murray »

Thank you Brad. I have the factory cutouts but not the guards. That is how I originally built the car also using the normal Dansk muffler and custom made s-pipes of greater diameter and extended a bit more to make up for no funnels/guards. I really don't like the low position of the sport muffler pipes. Well, the Dansk failed, I tried a stainless Dansk that failed quicker and now I have a GDP sport muffler type that fits great, sounds fine, but looks stupid because I have 2 unused cutouts.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Alex Goodhart
356 Fan

#4 Post by Alex Goodhart »

Hi CJ:
Last edited by Alex Goodhart on Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#5 Post by C J Murray »

For any exhaust you should use the Remflex gaskets that will compensate for most manufacturing defects to achieve a good seal.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rfl- ... ke/porsche

Big engines run well with the stock muffler. Mine made a little more on the engine dyno with a 4 into 1 open race exhaust but that is not practical on the street. A friend with a mild 1720cc tested the new Stoddard system against the GDP sport muffler and the GDP performed best. I was using a Dansk stainless stock type which was fine but it shook itself apart, developed cracks and broke welds. The big engines do put more stress on the muffler. I am now using a GDP sport muffler which is beautifully made and reasonably priced. http://usstore.concept1.ca/Porsche-356- ... WIN-62911/
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Alex Goodhart
356 Fan

Who has installed o

#6 Post by Alex Goodhart »

Has any one used
Last edited by Alex Goodhart on Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chris romney
356 Fan

#7 Post by chris romney »

I have one of "Tiger's" stinger exhausts. It has a few thousand miles on it. So far so good. Fits well, no leaks. It is pretty loud though if you have an open car.

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#8 Post by Dan Epperly »

The Dansk on my 912 looks like a grenade went off inside it after 15k miles. Two holes and broken welds, explains all that backfiring. Anyone ever had any luck welding them back up?

Alex Goodhart
356 Fan

Who has installed o

#9 Post by Alex Goodhart »

[quote="chris romney"]I have one of

Jon Paul Phillips
356 Fan

Re: Stoddard/NLA New Stainless Exhaust - Who has installed one?

#10 Post by Jon Paul Phillips »

I ordered one of these Stainless sport exhausts through NLA June 27th and they're still showing no ETA and approximately 1 1/2 weeks just to get it in house so they can ship it. I guess they're made to order?

DanWalkowski
356 Fan

#11 Post by DanWalkowski »

Watching this thread, because I’m curious if anyone has installed and used this system. I do like the tips that are made to finish the exhaust.

Jon Paul Phillips
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jon Paul Phillips »

I'll post up when I get the car back on the road, might be awhile. The Stoddard/NLA Stainless Exhaust did ship two days ago .. and is on it's way. Stoddard said the delay was due to Magnaflow 'retooling' but didn't elaborate on what exactly that meant... maybe Brad or somebody from Stoddard can chime in here. Hopefully an improvement to solve some issues with manufacturing? I've read this exhaust design produces the same power/torque results as the stock factory exhaust does .. which I understand is better than the 'under the bumper' dual outlet 'sport' exhaust offerings .. but not as good as some "4 in - one out" sebring/stinger style. I wanted something a bit more throaty but no angry neighbors please.

Greg Carter
356 Fan

#13 Post by Greg Carter »

I've installed one in my 1720cc equipped 356C that retains the engine's stock look (Zenith carbs, coffee can air cleaners, etc). FWIW here are my thoughts below.

GOODS

- It's got a great raspy sound that I really like and it sounds sweet when I wind the engine up. It's louder than a stock muffler but there's no drone that will drive you nuts on a long trip.
- It's stainless so it shouldn't rust and appears to be very well made.
- I have not dyno'd this system on my car but others have reported a slight decrease in mid-range torque. I can't tell any real difference between it and a stock muffler.
- It allows me to keep my PreMat full flow filter assembly and there are no clearance issues with it and the muffler (my car is a late '65C coupe with electronic tach)
- The included clamps are heavy duty and, with Remflex exhaust gaskets, I have not noted any exhaust leaks

OTHERS

- It took a little effort to get the flanges lined up and bolted to the engine although nowhere near the alignment issues of some of the Dansk mufflers
- The exhaust tips are longer than stock S-pipes and I had to remove the rear bumper to get the tips into the exhaust funnels in the bumper guards. I think you could just trim them to fit without removing the muffler.
- The #2 and #4 exhaust flanges / pipes don't have enough curve in them (they're L-shape as they exit the exhaust flanges) and you can not put your pre-heat tubes in if you want to use them. The solution, I think, is to have a muffler shop make the pipes slightly more S-shape to provide clearance between the pipes and the cylinder head. This would allow the pipes to drop in place as they should.

Overall, I am very happy with the exhaust and I really like the louder (but not too loud) noise / exhaust note. Once I get the #2 / #4 exhaust pipes reshaped I can get my pre-heat tubes in and then it would be about perfect in my book.

Greg

John Clarke
356 Fan

#14 Post by John Clarke »

CJ
Sounds to me too much like a hopped up VW. The merging of the 2 banks doesn't seem to have helped with the Mid Range Torque! Where most of us use the power,
Are there dyno comparisons? At Idle it sounds lumpy (to me) .
Jay

Jon Paul Phillips
356 Fan

#15 Post by Jon Paul Phillips »

Just an update on mine. I received the exhaust from Stoddard Wednesday. The biggest visual difference to the pictures I've seen so far is the upper set of pipes are no longer welded to the muffler. Magnaflow made them a slip joint to provide more flexibility during mounting which looks like a good move to me. The new pictures on Stoddard's website does show that change with those upper pipes clamped together .. however, those clamps were missing from my box and no mention of them in the install instructions. I got the two big 2" Magnaflow clamps for the exit pipes, but no smaller ones for the new slip joints on the upper pipes to the engine. Stoddard called Magnaflow and then checked their new stock of the last shipment and turns out all of their new stock is missing those clamps as well. Magnaflow made those clamps for this newly tooled batch and is sending Stoddard enough clamps to cover their stock and orders so mine will be in the mail Monday hopefully.

I'll post up when we get the engine put back together and fit up the exhaust.
JP