Anyone had an Ablation ?????

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Greg Stout
356 Fan

Anyone had an Ablation ?????

#1 Post by Greg Stout »

If you have...you know what it's for. A-Fib.
Just got one done on Monday, and I'm hoping I won't need a "tough up" 2nd round.
If you have A-Fib that goes away by itself, then this is the best option to get rid of it for good. It's even effective for folks with more persistent A-Fib.
Check it out @ Web-M.D. and other, non-histrionic medical sites for information. 8)
Member # 1809 , June 1978
'60 Cab-'60 Rdstr-Envimo S:90
'60 Rdstr-'64 C Cpe-'62 Cab
Envimo S:90-'63 Cpe-'62 Cpe
above…all Sold and long gone….
current Garage Pals…
IM Roadster D
1960 T-5 Coupe (52nd one built)
1968 912 Coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Anyone had an Ablation ?????

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

I hope you don't need a tune up, Greg!

All the best!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dan Epperly »

Greg Stout wrote:If you have...you know what it's for. A-Fib.
Just got one done on Monday, and I'm hoping I won't need a "tough up" 2nd round.
If you have A-Fib that goes away by itself, then this is the best option to get rid of it for good. It's even effective for folks with more persistent A-Fib.
Check it out @ Web-M.D. and other, non-histrionic medical sites for information. 8)
I've heard different things about the effectiveness in the long run.
How harsh was the "procedure?" My cardiologist is recommending it for when I turn 60.

Curtis Batchelder
356 Fan

#4 Post by Curtis Batchelder »

Yep, just had one a few months ago. It did what it was supposed to do, Not so bad of a procedure in retrospect, way better than medication and better prospects for being around longer. But that being said most of the procedure(s) were not harsh, but the critical aspects were intense, but of short duration and a limited number of "zaps". It was an AFlutter problem, nice Dr' she reset the timing and reduced the idle. Less medication(s).

Best to you.

Curt
Member #968
53' 356/10 Coupe
So CA
Last edited by Curtis Batchelder on Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Frank Earle
356 Fan

#5 Post by Frank Earle »

Yep, I had mine a little over a year ago. I needed a pacemaker installed, and as part of this procedure, I also needed to take care of an A-fludder, which is not quite A-fib, but certainly fixable. The ablation procedure was not too bad, a tad uncomfortable when they tried four times to sever (via laser) the circuitry that produced the fludder. As I mentioned, the procedure wasn't too bad, just moments of being uncomfortable. I'd say it brought a whole new meaning to heartburn at that time! In all, it was about an hour-plus to complete then the surgeon moved on to installing the pacemaker, which took about three more hours. Long day at the office!

I was told that an ablation procedure wouldn't work for A-fib, but I sure hope the information's wrong, and if does work that would sure help a lot of people with that condition!

I wish you success and a speedy recovery should you elect to do the procedure.

Frank Earle

chris romney
356 Fan

#6 Post by chris romney »

I've had two ablation procedures. The first one didn't quite get everything. In the intervening period between the first and the second ablation, mapping technology and the cardiologist's ability to control the temperature while cauterizing improved dramatically allowing them to get everything the second time. They have to be careful to not burn your esophagus. It's been several years since the second procedure and I've had no issues. I didn't have a big problem, but still play a lot of competitive sports where the a-fib would kick in. It's a big quality of life improvement. I would encourage everyone who has a-fib to at least check it out and see if it's a viable option for them.

Chris

Greg Stout
356 Fan

#7 Post by Greg Stout »

I was out cold for mine. Only vague memory of peeing after the cath was removed and thinking it was razor wire coming out.....
Some chest soreness over the next few days, and one 24 hr period with constant PVC's....but everything settled down by day 5 and it gets better each day.
I would not consider this a 'harsh' or 'intense' Hospital experience. I agree with above...I really didn't want to 'live' with the A-Fib, as it will F U your lifestyle, especially if you are active....and anti-arrhythmia meds have some nasty side effects....and nobody wants a Stroke !!!!!!
I say fix it, don't 'treat' it. Did get some major technicolor on my inner thigh, groin area (cath insertion site)....Purples and yellows !!!! Likely due to me being to 'active' on day 3 and being on blood thinners the past year. No biggie.
Have to wait 3 months to determine if I need a 'tough up' session, but for now, I give Ablation five stars.
Member # 1809 , June 1978
'60 Cab-'60 Rdstr-Envimo S:90
'60 Rdstr-'64 C Cpe-'62 Cab
Envimo S:90-'63 Cpe-'62 Cpe
above…all Sold and long gone….
current Garage Pals…
IM Roadster D
1960 T-5 Coupe (52nd one built)
1968 912 Coupe

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#8 Post by Dan Epperly »

Hi Greg,
So how are you doing three years later? My cardiologist was a little off, I didn’t quite make it to 60 without getting it done. Had it done five days ago and I don’t turn 60 until November.

Jeffrey Gamble
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jeffrey Gamble »

Been dealing with A-fib for a few years, received advice from a MD friend to have a sleep study which found I had low oxygen levels (not sleep apnea) at night that caused heart stress. Purchased a home Inogen concentrator and with in a couple of months No more A-fib. Cardiologist who were all to ready to perform the ablation procedure are amazed. So far so good. Good luck out their gentlemen.

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#10 Post by Dan Epperly »

Jeffrey Gamble wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:27 pm Been dealing with A-fib for a few years, received advice from a MD friend to have a sleep study which found I had low oxygen levels (not sleep apnea) at night that caused heart stress. Purchased a home Inogen concentrator and with in a couple of months No more A-fib. Cardiologist who were all to ready to perform the ablation procedure are amazed. So far so good. Good luck out their gentlemen.
That’s great news. I guess you were getting it at night then in your sleep?