"Task Saturation"

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
John Lindstrom
356 Fan

Re: "Task Saturation"

#16 Post by John Lindstrom »

The best way to survive a crash landing in a helicopter is to not have a crash landing..

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#17 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

Herlin:
The blades on the AH1-G are Aluminum over honeycomb and have a very wide cord so they are very stiff. Yes, it was quite interesting cyclic climbing into the clouds to reduce speed and thus loads. I had no idea that would work, but I didn't have any other ideas. As a test pilot, I had 13 malfunctions, so after I got the aircraft to stop shaking and had obtained the ability to reduce power, I was alright.

When I was later working for Bell Helicopter, a production test pilot was testing a new aircraft and the bonded blade weight was evidently not bonded. When he picked it up to a hover, the blade weight flew out, putting the aircraft in a very out-of-balance condition. That ripped the transmission out of the aircraft and he crashed from a hover on his side. My office was right next to the flight line, so that was interesting to experience also. They were very fortunate that they had not taken off yet.

The blades on the AH1-Z (the most modern Cobra) are composite and ballistic tolerant. Sikorsky and the Government community that supports it are used to the pressurized system, so they like to stay with that.

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

Herlin E. Woolery
356 Fan

#18 Post by Herlin E. Woolery »

I Tip my hat to you, Chuck, sure is a harrowing experience I bet.
having an out of balance blade sure will be deadly.

Sikorsky CH53 E will hang on the tried and true blades until 2025 then not sure what the Navy will do :?:

Herlin