Restore or Replace?

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Jason Lindquist
356 Fan

Restore or Replace?

#1 Post by Jason Lindquist »

Going to be asking this question about a lot of items. Just got the car back from paint and beginning to line up the parts to reassemble. Not trying to make a concours winner, just want to drive it. Can these be repaired or should I replace? Thanks in advance for your input!
Attachments
IMG_1537.jpg
IMG_1538.jpg

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

Re: Restore or Replace?

#2 Post by Mark Pribanic »

IMHO, I would re-use the originals
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#3 Post by Norm Miller »

Looks like coastal corrosion.
I would use simichrome polish, they will look fine even if you polish through the clear coating.
Don't polish the Reutter badge, just wash it.

Norm

Jason Lindquist
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jason Lindquist »

Thanks for the advice! More question for you guys. Are the "Porsche" and "S" emblems supposed to be gold with a clear coat? Would bead blasting take the green oxidation off the hood badge and not ruin the enamel? Lastly, should I install the headliner before the carpet of carpet then the headliner? Thanks again for the info!

Jason

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I did headliner first. Carpet I left util just ready for carpet then seats. I felt no use getting in and out repeatedly with fresh carpeting to install rear window and quarter windows, clothes hooks etc.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jason Lindquist
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jason Lindquist »

Same question, different parts. Should bead blast or replace? Are these anodized? Thanks for looking!
Attachments
IMG_2296.JPG
IMG_2294.JPG
IMG_2293.JPG

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#7 Post by Dan Epperly »

Jason Lindquist wrote:Thanks for the advice! More question for you guys. Are the "Porsche" and "S" emblems supposed to be gold with a clear coat? Would bead blasting take the green oxidation off the hood badge and not ruin the enamel? Lastly, should I install the headliner before the carpet of carpet then the headliner? Thanks again for the info!

Jason
The green is just oxidation, try a drop of Ospho on it and see what happens.
As for the aluminum bits they were anodized. I polished the hell out of mine by hand and reused them because I hate aftermarket stuff.