356 Electrics Relay

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Alan Winer
356 Fan

356 Electrics Relay

#1 Post by Alan Winer »

DISAPPOINTING: I just received a new 12V 356 Electrics Starter Switch Relay from one of our known vendors. The 356 Electrics Starter Switch Relay, which used to be Hella or Bosch (I forget which) and was steel cased and waterproof, is now a $4 plastic relay made in China for basically the same price.
Alan

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

Re: 356 Electrics Relay

#2 Post by Brad Ripley »

The kit Alan is talking about is made by Joe Leoni. In my opinion the relay with plastic housing is as "waterproof" as the old Bosch metal version. Joe makes a quality product with soldered and covered terminals plus good instillation instructions.

You will find a few VW "Hot Start" kits out there with plug connections and sketchy instruction sheets. Wolfsburg West probably has the best of those.

Plus, of course, one can Build-Your-Own Kit with an inexpensive "open" relay and some wire.

Curt Dansby
356 Fan

#3 Post by Curt Dansby »

Hi Folks
Let's not beat Joe up here. He is in assisted living and while 356 Electrics may have been on the label, he most certainly did not fulfill this order. It is my understanding that some family members are still selling the books and I guess the kits but this would indicate without the breadth of knowledge or QC that Joe had. Joe did a lot for this club and he should not be impugned for "the sins of others"

Curt

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#4 Post by David Jones »

Joe's kits were excellent and did the job well. I bought his headlight relay kits but confess to doing my own switch saver relay. I did not like the idea of putting a relay under the car next to the starter motor solenoid because it was such a pain to get to. I figured it would do the job of taking the load off the ignition switch just as well by being behind the dash and I could sit in the comfort of the drivers seat while I installed it. I used a Chinese made 6 volt relay and bought some extras as they were cheaper than an ignition switch if it should fail. I have one in all my cars and in 10 years no failures.The one I used is this. Do a search on SSR relay kit and read lots of info about problems with ignition switches and starter motors.
IMG_2427.jpg
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Alan Winer
356 Fan

#5 Post by Alan Winer »

My comment was in no way meant to "impugn" Joe and I do not believe that I had done so. I have had numerous contacts with Joe over the years, have purchased all his 356 Electric books and many relays and he has spent time on the phone with me to resolve some issues. I have full respect for the contribution he made to the 356 folks. My post was just merely to suggest the change in product since Joe has not been involved.
Alan

William Block
356 Fan
Tag: blocklab

#6 Post by William Block »

Blocks Books probably sells more of Joe's relays than anyone else -- including Joe (he prefers not to do retail). It's been several years since Joe stopped using Bosch relays -- secondary to quality problems (sound familiar?). Joe is in a retirement complex, most definitely not "assisted living.'' Silk, aka the fabulous Freda, and I had the pleasure of taking Joe to lunch at the end of May. He keeps extremely busy. In the last few months he has rebuilt two generators and a voltage regulator for me as well as building large radio controlled gliders.
bill
Bill Block
BLOCKS-BOOKS.COM
248/672-2637 blocklab@gmail.com
1500N coupe #11994
S tractor #133/7622
1600N S/R #106072
356C cab #161564
911 #303269
914/6 2.8 #9140432388 (for sale)
Freda’s Boxster WPOCA2983WS621230

Curt Dansby
356 Fan

#7 Post by Curt Dansby »

I stand pleasantly corrected. I knew Joe had been trying to retire for many years but people kept sending him stuff. I made an incorrect assumption based on a note in the magazine some issues back. I am glad that Joe is still able to do the things he enjoys.

Curt