Another Possible Scam

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: Another Possible Scam

#16 Post by C J Murray »

Matt seems to live at both ends of the USA.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#17 Post by Martin Benade »

I sent him a message asking why the cab is half price, and f there is something wrong with it.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Gary Carriveau
356 Fan

#18 Post by Gary Carriveau »

This begs the question:
What vetting is done for classifieds, especially from new and/or most recent membership??

Gary
Gary W. Carriveau
'64 C Coupe

C J Murray
356 Fan

#19 Post by C J Murray »

Gary, is it time for a "one year rule"? No posting classified ads until you are in your 2nd year of membership?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#20 Post by Adam Wright »

Gary Carriveau wrote:This begs the question:
What vetting is done for classifieds, especially from new and/or most recent membership??

Gary
I've joined other forums that have a very effective way of weeding out people who just want to place ads or fake ads. You can't place an ad in the classifieds until you have placed 10 postings in the forum. It's basically if you don't want to be part of the community and participate you don't get to make money off said community, but it also works for the scammers, if you don't want to participate you don't get to scam. Scammers don't like work, if you make em work, you tend to weed out the numbers.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

James Watters
356 Fan

#21 Post by James Watters »

Adam Wright wrote:
Gary Carriveau wrote:This begs the question:

Gary
I've joined other forums that have a very effective way of weeding out people who just want to place ads or fake ads. You can't place an ad in the classifieds until you have placed 10 postings in the forum. It's basically if you don't want to be part of the community and participate you don't get to make money off said community, but it also works for the scammers, if you don't want to participate you don't get to scam. Scammers don't like work, if you make em work, you tend to weed out the numbers.
This!!!!!!!!
59A Coupe
64C Sunroof

David Lawrence
356 Fan

#22 Post by David Lawrence »

It's a dull day for me so I decided to run some membership numbers.

There are 13,211 members

8,254 have no posts
11,376 have less than 10 posts

As of noon today the top 3 posters are:
Vic Skirmants with 6,343
C J Murry with 6,667
Adam Wright with 7,791
David Lawrence #1087
'64 C Cabriolet (Signal Red/Black Leather)

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#23 Post by Mike Wilson »

I agree there needs to be some sort of vetting process and am inclined to agree on the 10 post rule. However, it appears by the numbers, over half of our members have never posted. Perhaps they are just reading and learning, but if they wanted to post an item for sale, their lack of posts would exclude them from doing so. So maybe it's a 10 post or x number of months of membership before being able to offer an item for sale?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#24 Post by Adam Wright »

In the other forums I've seen with the 10 post rule you see a lot of, "Hi, I'm Adam introducing myself" posts. Which is good too because it starts dialogue about people and cars who may have stayed silent. I can't see how the 10 post rule can harm anything, but I can see how it can really help.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#25 Post by Mike Wilson »

I agree with you, Adam. The 10 post rule would at least be a good start. I think members should introduce themselves and tell us about their cars and where they live. Think of it like an on-line meet and greet.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#26 Post by Wes Bender »

If you think about it a bit, this thread is living proof that "vetting" is taking place. It's primarily the members doing it, thus taking a little pressure off of the volunteers who run the site. I'm sure they keep an eye on things too, but as volunteers, I'm pretty sure they appreciate our feedback. When was the last time a member got screwed by a 356 for sale on the site?
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#27 Post by Martin Benade »

I got a response from him this afternoon: From Quay Shipping Australia. He said "I'm selling it for lower cause I have 3 Porsches car and I decide to sell this out.
Do you have anything to know about my car? Where are you located?
Thanks"
The address is actually quay_shipping@deliveryman.com, which I believe is American, but not so sure about his English.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#28 Post by Adam Wright »

Mike Wilson wrote:I agree with you, Adam. The 10 post rule would at least be a good start. I think members should introduce themselves and tell us about their cars and where they live. Think of it like an on-line meet and greet.

Mike
A member such as yourself should propose this to the Trustee's, I am not highly regarded by the governing body of this club so coming from me will not be well received, even if it is a good idea.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#29 Post by Mike Wilson »

Adam, are you on the s-list?! Naw, can't be!

I'm sure some of the trustees read/monitor the forum so the issue of vetting is out there for them to see & discuss.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#30 Post by Adam Wright »

Mike Wilson wrote:Adam, are you on the s-list?! Naw, can't be!

I'm sure some of the trustees read/monitor the forum so the issue of vetting is out there for them to see & discuss.

Mike
Yeah, going back year's when a former President of the club mentioned that we need to keep a close eye on the "Adam" element of the club, whatever that is. The feeling from the Trustee's has not lightened up since.

Also, they are the first to say they don't monitor the whole forum so someone should email them direct and propose this, someone other than me.
www.unobtanium-inc.com