The 356 coming to an end or just beginning?

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Steve Douglas
356 Fan

Re: The 356 coming to an end or just beginning?

#16 Post by Steve Douglas »

Hey Adam, are you out here invading the stashes of parts, the Scoopy Van looks like one that runs around the Santa Cruz Mountains. We still have a few stashes left, but dwindling fast.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#17 Post by Mike Wilson »

A new business venture for you, Ron! Badges that read "Replica", "Modified", " Non-Matching", " Not a Real Super 90, SC..."

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#18 Post by Ron LaDow »

Mike,
Not a bad idea but the people who should be customers wouldn't buy 'em.
Maybe I should offer them as stickee-backs to be applied as appropriate...
Here's what my hot-rodded Speedster got:
Spdstr + 1 - Copy.JPG
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#19 Post by Adam Wright »

Steve Douglas wrote:Hey Adam, are you out here invading the stashes of parts, the Scoopy Van looks like one that runs around the Santa Cruz Mountains. We still have a few stashes left, but dwindling fast.
Not this trip, just redwood watching.
Attachments
red1sm.jpg
red4sm.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#20 Post by Mike Wilson »

Excellent, Ron! A great individualistic statement.

Just a thought. You would think that Porsche, who is so protective of its brand, logos, etc. would have raised objections to replicas using the Porsche crest and Speedster script.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#21 Post by Adam Wright »

Ron LaDow wrote:Mike,
Not a bad idea but the people who should be customers wouldn't buy 'em.
Maybe I should offer them as stickee-backs to be applied as appropriate...
Here's what my hot-rodded Speedster got:
The attachment Spdstr + 1 - Copy.JPG is no longer available
I had a similar thought when I build Da Spoodster, the guys at Restoration Design were nice enough to make this for me on their laser cutter.
Attachments
spood250.JPG
spoodnow.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#22 Post by Ron LaDow »

Mike Wilson wrote:Just a thought. You would think that Porsche, who is so protective of its brand, logos, etc. would have raised objections to replicas using the Porsche crest and Speedster script. Mike
I think the Porsche US legal staff missed the boat early on; the reason Ferrari is calling a station wagon a "Lusso" is in recognition of the US requirement that a 'trade name' must be used in trade within X years, or the originator loses control of it.
And that emblem is probably the LEAST personalized part of THAT car; the shape was preserved and nearly nothing else.
Adam,
I wish I could have had Mike water-jet those for me. They were coping-sawed, filed, sanded, drilled and pins silver-soldered, and then gold-plated.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Jeffrey Gamble
356 Fan

#23 Post by Jeffrey Gamble »

Ron LaDow wrote:
Mike Wilson wrote:...no replica owner I've ever talked to has tried to pawn it off as a real 356.
Mike
When some one puts a "Plastic Fake" badge on the car, I'll accept the attempt at honesty.
Amen Ron,,,

Sadly, the Replica Revolution has been going on for many years. Looks like the original Faithful owners are silently being over run by nubee replica "enthusiast". By example take look at the already over run replica Hot Rod and Cobra worlds.
Very difficult to understand Porsche AG repop of the Rome to Berlin and #1 Roadster especially as both the Original cars still exist. The knee jerk is they build a #1 show car as a "pusher" sans drive train. Really!

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#24 Post by Emil Wojcik »

I've been on a forum for high-end watches for years and visit it daily. There's always someone new who posts photos of a watch asking if it's real. They're immediately told when something's fake and no one will ever post how to tell the difference (not wanting to give the fakers info that will help them make better fakes), and they also immediately remove the photos of the fake and sometimes close the entire thread. So they obviously take fake watches very seriously.

But when it comes to 'replica' cars, they seem very accepting. The site has an off-topic section for cars and I recently commented that a member's 'replica' Speedster is no different than owning a fake Rolex, Patek Phillipe, or whatever, and the group's collective comments showed that they didn't get the comparison, implying owning a fake watch was very wrong but a fake car was no big deal.

I guess what I'm saying it that right or wrong out in the real world seems to depend on what you're passionate about more than the actual facts. I'll bet there are some Registry members here who drive around in their real 356 wearing a fake Rolex thinking there's nothing wrong with that, but I just don't get it, from any perspective.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#25 Post by Jon Schmid »

I'm with Ron on this one. As long as the plastic cars are not depicted as Porsche factory cars I couldn't care less. Most people don't even know what my cars are in the first place.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#26 Post by Vic Skirmants »

I wear an old Timex with chipped crystal. Push a button and it lights up at night so I can decide if I need to get up and pee, or should tough it out for 1/2 an hour.

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#27 Post by John Lindstrom »

I hate that last 1/2 hour when I really do want to just get out of bed and go take a piss, but not quite as much as I really do want to just sleep some more.

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#28 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Vic Skirmants wrote:I wear an old Timex with chipped crystal. Push a button and it lights up at night so I can decide if I need to get up and pee, or should tough it out for 1/2 an hour.
Yeah, but I bet your Timex is real. And as far as deciding whether to get get up to pee when I know my alarm's going off in half an hour, if I wait for the alarm I'm going to be changing the sheets. And even worse, I'd then have to explain it to my wife.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#29 Post by Mike Wilson »

Here's a hint: set your alarms for 3:56 (required 356 content) so you can get up and pee and then have plenty of time to catch some more z's!

Watches? I don't need no stinking watches! I'm retired! Why is it when you retire and have no more meetings or schedules to keep, they give you a watch?!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#30 Post by Bill Lawless »

Replica's are like FAKE News... Or it's like buying a Rolex from a guy with the spread out on the side walks of New York City for 20 bucks.... :)
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350