Roadster for sale at Aase

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve Casper
356 Fan

Roadster for sale at Aase

#1 Post by Steve Casper »

Does anyone have any information on the Roadster that is being sold at Aase (link below)? I've spoken with them and their description is "driver quality with some panel fitment issues". The car has an older restoration, but no details on how extensive or who did the work are available. Also, if anyone knows of someone local that can put eyes on the car before I fly out to see it that would be a great help.

Thanks!

https://www.aasesales.com/collections/c ... adster-red

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

Re: Roadster for sale at Aase

#2 Post by Edwin Ek »

You perhaps already noticed this ...

CoA says matching numbers for engine and transmission. (You probably know that Porsche will only confirm those numbers if you provide them. It will not give them out.)

However, the description cites different numbers. Also, there is a discrepancy in interior color.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#3 Post by Wes Bender »

That's an earlier CoA when they were still giving out that info. I don't see where AASE is advertising it as a "numbers matching" car. At least the new owner will know which numbers should be in the car.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#4 Post by Edwin Ek »

CoA says matching numbers. Person buying CoA knew enough to provide the original numbers.

Steve Casper
356 Fan

#5 Post by Steve Casper »

Agree that the add is a bit confusing, but the guys at AASE have been very clear that is not numbers matching.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#6 Post by Wes Bender »

Edwin Ek wrote:CoA says matching numbers. Person buying CoA knew enough to provide the original numbers.
Reread my post.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Steve Casper
356 Fan

#7 Post by Steve Casper »

I'd like to thank all the members here that sent information via email. I've decided to go a different direction and follow a lead on a car closer to home.

Hats off to the team at AASE, they have been nothing but helpful and accomodating trying to get me an accurate description of this car. If someone is looking for a driver quality roadster, this would be a great candidate.

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jim Alton »

There was a truly "unusual" Certificate of Authenticity with a 1958 Porsche 356A T2 Cabriolet at Bring a Trailer <https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1957- ... 6a-1600-2/> recently.

It represented the car as coming from the factory with a 1953 transmission and painted 356C [Sky] Blue 6403. The engine number also seemed a bit too high and the production date a little early.

Bring a Trailer withdrew the car from auction.

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#9 Post by Edwin Ek »

Wes Bender wrote:That's an earlier CoA when they were still giving out that info. I don't see where AASE is advertising it as a "numbers matching" car. At least the new owner will know which numbers should be in the car.
One would think that adding the phrase "matching numbers" to the CoA means that the buyer of the CoA provided the numbers. Otherwise, what's the point of adding the phrase? And how else could Porsche know the status of the car?

Ed Pimm
356 Fan

#10 Post by Ed Pimm »

I have CoA's that simply state the engine and trans numbers ( no mention of matching numbers) . These are earlier CoA's that you could have gotten with just a VIN. Porsche has recently changed the CoA process. Now you give the VIN along with the engine and trans numbers and they will specify matching or not matching numbers. It seems odd that the CoA says matching numbers but the current drive train isn't matching.

Ed
Ed Pimm

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#11 Post by Larry Brooks »

I think it's fairly obvious that that is a recent COA and they just supplied the numbers they knew it came with. Most likely from a Kardex, or possibly from old paperwork with the car. I recently did that with a 1970 914/6. The car had a 1971 911S engine in it, but I knew what the original number should be. Sold it as a non matching numbers car, but that way a future owner might be able to track down the original engine.
Attachments
coa.jpg

Robert Thiemrodt
356 Fan

#12 Post by Robert Thiemrodt »

I'm now totally confused. Is Porsche supplying the numbers and then stating (Matching numbers) ? Or, is buyer of C.O.A. supplying numbers, and, in the event the numbers being supplied to Porsche are incorrect, does Porsche list the incorrect number? And then state, (non-matching)? It would seem as though Porsche should supply all numbers once given the VIN, to keep everyone honest, and accurate.
The left lane is for passing, MOVE OVER!!!!

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#13 Post by John Lindstrom »

Buyer supply’s numbers. Porsche confirms if correct numbers matching, they do not confirm matching numbers if numbers are incorrect. You are right, Porsche should be honest, but then everyone would just buy blank engine cases and stamp them to appear “correct”. Human nature, you can’t have a perfect world. Sorry.

Robert Thiemrodt
356 Fan

#14 Post by Robert Thiemrodt »

John,
To quote from A Few Good Men, I am "crystal clear" with your explanation. Thanks for that. However, with this now being Porsche's new process, how would someone who buys a non matching engine car ever know how to hunt down the correct engine for their car?
The left lane is for passing, MOVE OVER!!!!

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#15 Post by Martin Benade »

I guess you cannot know what number to search for. I suppose a few actual engines could be reunited, and probably a lot more could be fraudulently restamped, something Porsche is not trying to support. It seems reasonable.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna