ignorant turn signal question from ignorant 356 consumer

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jim Brown
356 Fan
Tag: Ignorant Porsche Consumer

ignorant turn signal question from ignorant 356 consumer

#1 Post by Jim Brown »

Hey folks...I spent some time playing around with my ignition switch and it would appear that I did something that resulted in my blinkers being nonop. Blinker light on dash remains illuminated, no blink when turn signal is engaged either direction, and no signals at either of the 4 corners of the vehicle. Mine is 1965C.

Any easy advice as to where I should look?

I will add that there was a wire labeled "fuel pump" that had a fuse in it. This wire had a bullet end and was inserted in one of the portals of the ignition switch, but the wire went nowhere. So I removed it altogether. While I can't imagine that's my culprit, I thought I'd share that data point anyway.

I am an ignorant consumer but not an ignorant person in general, and not afraid. There's nothing I cannot do myself if I have good info and two tries at it :D

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: ignorant turn signal question from ignorant 356 consumer

#2 Post by David Jones »

Power for the blinker relay comes from fuse 1 which is supplied from the ignition switch. That wire you removed could be part of the problem, are you sure it went nowhere? Reconnect it but also check fuse #1. Do you have another blinker relay in case that has expired?
Check your brake lights and backup lights they come from the same source.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jim Brown
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jim Brown »

David Jones wrote:Power for the blinker relay comes from fuse 1 which is supplied from the ignition switch. That wire you removed could be part of the problem, are you sure it went nowhere? Reconnect it but also check fuse #1. Do you have another blinker relay in case that has expired?
Check your brake lights and backup lights they come from the same source.
Thank you for your reply. I will check reverse and braking lights as soon as I can. I'm certain the wire went nowhere, and for what it's worth the fuse it was connected to was blown so it would not have been functional. Not the actual but the wire with the fuse looked like this one but red wire instead of black...

Image[/img]

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

While you are waiting for others to chime in, you can begin searche in the Articles section in the Resources Dropdown Tab at the top of the page. To start with you can search for Wiring Diagrams to help your exploration under the dash. Everything you'll ever need to know about your 356 is on this website. Figuring out where to navigate can be the challenge sometimes.

- - Jeff
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#5 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

Check the July/August 2014 Registry's Magazine. There is an article regarding the turn signal and brake light systems.
If the dash blinker light stays on, in some cars that was an indication that you had a blown bulb.
Fuse 1 should be fine if the dash light stays on, it uses the same fuse.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#6 Post by Doug McDonnell »

1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jim Brown
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jim Brown »

brake lights and backup lights work properly. Dash blinker light stays on.
Last edited by Jim Brown on Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Brown
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jim Brown »

Front bulbs all good, rears are Franzen LED units--not sure how to troubleshoot those.

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#9 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

Just to check if the LED bulbs are the problem.
Change the LED bulbs for regular bulbs.
If the fault still exists, change the flasher relay leaving the regular bulbs. If it works, now change to the LED bulbs if it does not work, the LEDS are the problem. If it works with the LEDS the flasher relay was the problem.

Jim Brown
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jim Brown »

now to find the flasher relay...

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#11 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

Are you 6v or 12v ?

Jim Franzen's LED boards (can't call them bulbs - there's a zillion "bulbs" on his boards) need an electronic flasher, particularly one with a pigtail ground wire. Zim's sells them although last time I looked his site said they were out of stock. Worth checking directly by phone.
< Jeff >

2009 997.2 Carrera S

John Weyand
356 Fan

#12 Post by John Weyand »

I bought an electronic flasher from my local NAPA store. It solved the problem of the dash indicator light continuing to flash after the switch was cancelled. I also have LED tail and dash lights. The system worked fine but the dash light continued to flash unless the brake lights were lit. (the flasher I replaced was electronic and worked fine for a year or so)
John W
'64 "C" coupe

Jim Brown
356 Fan

#13 Post by Jim Brown »

Jeffrey Leeds wrote:Are you 6v or 12v ?

Jim Franzen's LED boards (can't call them bulbs - there's a zillion "bulbs" on his boards) need an electronic flasher, particularly one with a pigtail ground wire. Zim's sells them although last time I looked his site said they were out of stock. Worth checking directly by phone.
12V here

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#14 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

Great.

Get one of these flasher units from Amazon and you will have no further issues (this is the type flasher unit that Jim recommended). In fact, get two at this price. You won't likely ever need the back-up, but someone else will and you can be a hero solving their flasher problem. The key is the separate ground wire.

https://www.amazon.com/CEC-Industries-E ... eature_div
< Jeff >

2009 997.2 Carrera S

Jim Brown
356 Fan

#15 Post by Jim Brown »

Problem solved.

I make no bones about my ignorance. So I will share what I learned. Somewhere along the way, while fishing around under the dash I remember noticing a relay not completely plugged in. I pulled it out, looked at it, and plugged it back in. Eventually I noticed my indicator light permanently illuminated ...and the flashers at all 4 corners inop.

I sought guidance here. No apparent fuse issues, ..so I turned my attention to the relay as was recommended here. I bought a new one. Finally got around to replacing it tonight.

When I went to remove the relay that i planned to replace, I found that it was not plugged in correctly. You can turn that thing and plug it in so that only 2 of the 3 points are seated. Depending on which way you rotate it before plugging it in incorrectly, the result may be a static indicator light and inop blinkers at All 4 corners. Remove it and plug it in correctly... problem solved.

These confessions feel like therapy. Thanks.

I have s brand new blinker relay for sale, btw.

Thank you for indulging me.