Hello from Denmark

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Nicolai Richter-Friis
356 Fan

Hello from Denmark

#1 Post by Nicolai Richter-Friis »

My 356 B T6 cab from 1963 has a missing "oli pip" what would be the right solution for my model?

Have a great day.

Best regards Nicolai

motor spørgsmål.jpg

Phil Planck
356 Fan

Re: Hello from Denmark

#2 Post by Phil Planck »

My 63 S90 has flip top oil fill. I thought the one you have was only on 356C.
Phil Planck

Nicolai Richter-Friis
356 Fan

#3 Post by Nicolai Richter-Friis »

Is a C engine!

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#4 Post by David Jones »

Nicolai there is only one option because you have aftermarket carburetors. Run the hose down beside the dipstick to exit below the engine. That hose would have gone either to the carburetor air cleaner if you had factory carbs or down to exit under the sheet metal. See this drawing for options.
http://www.stoddard.com/porsche-356/por ... ation.html
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#5 Post by Vic Skirmants »

The Euro heater engines needed the big, narrow can to clear the snout. It was a special one; large, like the later ones, with a small hole at the bottom like the flip-top cans.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jules Dielen »

maybe drill a hole in the carb top and install the elbow to make it vent into the carb.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#7 Post by Ron LaDow »

Jules Dielen wrote:maybe drill a hole in the carb top and install the elbow to make it vent into the carb.
I had an SC with aftermarket air 'filters' years ago. Took some welding to make the elbow and a 'chassis punch' to make a hole in the top of the 'filter', plus a grommet to span the difference in diameters.
Dumping it in the carb is messy, since the carbs tend to be cool (gas evaporation) and the stuff coming out of the case is warm-to-hot vapor, which condenses on the first cool surface it can find. But unless you are right up against the CR limit of your engine combo, the crummy octane rating of oil vapor shouldn't cause any problems.
Dumping it out the bottom tends to burn it on the hot muffler surfaces.
It is GONNA get out, you just chose where it lands first.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

M Penta
356 Fan

#8 Post by M Penta »

I chose to vent it to the air cleaner on mine. Have not noticed oil mess or much residue in carb. I used the vent tube from Stoddard and had the elbow and grommet on hand. Works fine, but grommet is cracking so I'd like to track down a silicone one.

download/file.php?id=50181&t=1

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#9 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I really dislike the idea of dumping oil fumes into my carbs so on my C I used the engine tin cover plate from an earlier car: http://www.stoddard.com/53906645.html and purchased a radiator hose with a 90 degree bend to go through and long enough to end under the plate. I just took the oil filler and plate to my local car parts store to pick a hose of the correct size.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jules Dielen »

Ron LaDow wrote:
Jules Dielen wrote:maybe drill a hole in the carb top and install the elbow to make it vent into the carb.
I had an SC with aftermarket air 'filters' years ago. Took some welding to make the elbow and a 'chassis punch' to make a hole in the top of the 'filter', plus a grommet to span the difference in diameters.
Dumping it in the carb is messy, since the carbs tend to be cool (gas evaporation) and the stuff coming out of the case is warm-to-hot vapor, which condenses on the first cool surface it can find. But unless you are right up against the CR limit of your engine combo, the crummy octane rating of oil vapor shouldn't cause any problems.
Dumping it out the bottom tends to burn it on the hot muffler surfaces.
It is GONNA get out, you just chose where it lands first.
is this something common you see on C/SC cars where it has this setup from the factory? I believe the C breather hose goes into the base of the air filter.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

M Penta
356 Fan

#11 Post by M Penta »

They are vented to the air cleaner from the factory. I don't like the idea of oil fumes and oil film on the back of the car, and have also had problems in the past with other cars when trying to vent to atmosphere through a long hose. A short hose and slight vacuum will minimize CC pressure, which helps prevent leaks and some say helps rings/seals seal better. I definitely prefer to vent to the carb instead of a hose out the bottom of car, but too each his own.

John Clarke
356 Fan

#12 Post by John Clarke »

Hi Nicolai
Welcome from Denmark, Our 912 motor in the 356 has always vented a lot and we have all the rubber vent pipes from (both heads, crankcase / oil filler), feeding to a remote polished Aluminum Oil Catcher Tank. This is mounted to the rear (pulley side) tinware that closes the engine compartment to the body. This small tank also is vented through a small conical filter to atmosphere. Not sure if the racers have to have this arrangement? I will try and upload a pic if interested.
Kind regards Jay