Drum Brake cleaning

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Rusty Ferrell
356 Fan

Drum Brake cleaning

#1 Post by Rusty Ferrell »

Recently purchased a 62 which has been apart and on jackstands since sometime in the 90s. I'm in the process of installing the wheels and tires, but first the transaxle, so I can roll the car a bit.
Cleaning the brakes drums I noticed there is a wire or spring steel around the diameter of the AL between the finned outer drum and the steel center which is cast with the aluminum. How is the drum built and what is the purpose of the spring wire?
Wishing all you 6ers out there a healthy day,
Rusty
Rusty

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Drum Brake cleaning

#2 Post by David Jones »

That was an aftermarket accessory supposed to reduce brake squealing. More snake oil from the 60's. Take it off and throw it away or sell it on E-bay.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#3 Post by Martin Benade »

If it is at the edge junction of iron liner and aluminum, I believe that is factory, an attempt to dampen vibrations. Often those are missing with no ill effect. The liner is shrunk in and will not fall out as long as the drum is in spec.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Bil Brown
356 Fan

#4 Post by Bil Brown »

the iron liners have a machined "hook" on the inside edge that, when shrunk in the drum, mate with a like machined area in the drum, for the two to lock together after cooldown.
Attachments
SAM_3523.JPG
SAM_3521.JPG
Bill Brown

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#5 Post by Geoff Fleming »

I doubt this was done by the factory...seemed to be a 'home remedy' back in the fifties and sixties, used by quite a few owners. If memory serves, I believe it was even mentioned in Porsche Panorama as a means to dampen braking noise.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#6 Post by Adam Wright »

This...
Attachments
brakescoward.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.