Engine Compartment Material

For Pre A discussions and questions
Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

Re: Engine Compartment Material

#16 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hello, I can finally post some photos of the engine bay and boot/trunk quilts.

The grey side quilts are from our '55 and the front and rear are from a '55 Carrera a great guy let me borrow to copy, hence the many cut out holes. The boot/trunk side pieces in red are from the side of our '55, which is odd as those in the engine bay are grey, but judging by the archaeology of the rust, glue etc when I took them out of the car, and also the recollections of the owner in the late 60's, they would appear to be original.

I have not seen many but over the years I have seen one quilt from an A, in brown, that had 2 slots cut with the edges stitched for the voltage regulator, and also one with a diamond pattern and another with a chess board pattern sewn into it, I assumed to keep the filling more secure. Those that i have seen have been either grey or brown, and the only 2 consistent things were the rubbish quality of the vinyl and the sloppy sewing of the edges, it wanders off in many places!

Hope this helps someone.

V
Attachments
ENGINS AND BOOT QUILTS 001.JPG
ENGINS AND BOOT QUILTS 005.JPG
ENGINS AND BOOT QUILTS 002.JPG
ENGINS AND BOOT QUILTS 008.JPG
SOUND DEADENIHG QUILT, REAR PANEL & STEERING WHEEL 006.JPG
SOUND DEADENIHG QUILT, REAR PANEL & STEERING WHEEL 003.JPG
SOUND DEADENIHG QUILT, REAR PANEL & STEERING WHEEL 002.JPG
SOUND DEADENIHG QUILT, REAR PANEL & STEERING WHEEL 001.JPG
V. Gillespie

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#17 Post by James Davies »

Fantastic photos! Thanks for sharing.

In terms of construction of the quilt for the engine bay, it looks like is cotton rag (dark grey with flecks of color?) with a burlap layer on each side, and then a layer of vinyl on the front side?

What's the back side of the red vinyl pad that goes on the front side walls in front of the fuel tank?

Cars up through 1954 used a single layer of carpet on those side walls, a hold-over from the split-window Reutter cars that had carpet not only on the sides but on the floor in front of the fuel tank as well.

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#18 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

The engine quilt layers are vinyl, then the beige 'felt', then the burlap/hessian scrim, there is no burlap/scrim layer between the vinyl and 'felt'. The red Trunk/boot side quilts are simply vinyl with a thin layer of the felt stuck to it.
The attached photos I hope shows what I mean with the grain and maybe the quality of the vinyl is apparent.

V
Attachments
Voltage Regulator &  close details of quilts 008.JPG
Voltage Regulator &  close details of quilts 007.JPG
Voltage Regulator &  close details of quilts 005.JPG
Voltage Regulator &  close details of quilts 004.JPG
Voltage Regulator &  close details of quilts 003.JPG
V. Gillespie

Jim Wayman
Registry President

#19 Post by Jim Wayman »

My 55 has the original engine compartment insulation. Rather than a vinyl material, it appears to be more of a light "oilcloth" type of material. It has a very definite woven back with what seems to be a coating on it that has the color. It is brown, now faded.
Jim Wayman

Gary Leong
356 Fan

#20 Post by Gary Leong »

Reviving this thread and deviating a little ....
How is the engine compartment insulation secured. Contact glue I assume, but some photos show screws with cup washers, others appear to have dome fasteners - where are they positioned and how many?
Can someone please post photos detailing this?
Thanks,
Gary

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#21 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hello Gary, in our Sept '55 the red side panels were stuck on and the rest were fixed with a bit of glue and then around the edges with screws in cups, exactly the same as used to secure the door cards.

I might still have the paper patterns I made and I might have marked the positions of the fasteners, it's been a few years since I did this!

It will be a couple of weeks before I can check out whether I still have them but if I do you are welcome to them.

V
V. Gillespie

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#22 Post by James Davies »

Very cool. Vincent. If you find the patterns, could you post a photo or two of them here, so people have them for reference? Great info.

Gary Leong

#23 Post by Gary Leong »

Fantastic! Thank you Vincent, that would be very helpful.

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#24 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Found them, but busy at the moment! will post photos as soon as I get a bit of time.
V
V. Gillespie

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#25 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

With all the eating and drinking out of the way I've managed to take the photos so here they are
IMG_5143.JPG
IMG_5142.JPG
IMG_5140.JPG
IMG_5139.JPG
IMG_5138.JPG
IMG_5137.JPG
IMG_5136.JPG
V. Gillespie

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#26 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

And the rest of them
IMG_5135.JPG
IMG_5134.JPG
IMG_5133.JPG
IMG_5132.JPG
IMG_5131.JPG
IMG_5130.JPG
V. Gillespie

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#27 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

By the way I wouldn't worry exactly where these screws are, as the few I have seen are 'there or there abouts'. This goes particularly for the small bits, in between and either side of the hinges, it's a bit of a struggle getting onto the screws, I’d say it was really just where one could get the screwdriver onto them.

My view is that the quilts got a slathering of contact adhesive, slapped onto the engine bay walls, and then the screws were simply 'forcefully' screwed into the same approximate area!

V&S

PS For the 1st in 30+ years we were in the UK for New Year so we went to the New years Day Classic Car meet at Brooklands Museum in KCT.

An amazing all sorts line up of just over 1000 cars and 1000's of people. I hadn't finished parking the car when the 1st admirers came up for a chat, Sandi didn't manage to get out of the car!

I saw 1 T6 coupe, 1 T6 Cabrio. & a '55 speedster.

Lori Schutz had sent me some excess copies of the Registry magazines to promote the club which were eagerly accepted by anyone interested in 356s.

V&S
V. Gillespie

Gary Leong
356 Fan

#28 Post by Gary Leong »

Hi Vincent,

Thank you so much, - really appreciated. This info will certainly enable us to continue this task with added confidence. :D

Wishing you and all our 356 Registry members a prosperous and rewarding 2024!

Cheers
Gary

Jim Wayman
Registry President

#29 Post by Jim Wayman »

If it hasn't already been mentioned, it is pretty easy to determine hole locations for the screws and there should be existing holes from the previous screws. If no holes, there probably wasn't material on the walls.
Jim Wayman

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#30 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hello, If the paper patterns are of use to anyone just drop me a line and I'll pop them in the post.

V&S
V. Gillespie