What I have learned about my '62 Roadster.

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Tim Herman
356 Fan

Re: What I have learned about my '62 Roadster.

#16 Post by Tim Herman »

The bodies were built the way described in this thread in actuality.
It was to accommodate oil tank in the event that body got lucky
and became a Carrera.
Tim Herman #2197
www.carreramotorsport.com

Peter Bartelli
356 Fan
Tag: Captain

#17 Post by Peter Bartelli »

Now THAT's interesting Tim!

Jon Bunin
356 Fan

#18 Post by Jon Bunin »

Tim Herman wrote:...in the event that body got lucky and became a Carrera.
Tim, plenty of bodies "got lucky" without becoming a Carrera.

Jon Bunin

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#19 Post by Brian R Adams »

"A woman's work is never done." (I quoted that, for the record, so hold your fire.) Clever ironing board, though.
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Tim Herman
356 Fan

#20 Post by Tim Herman »

Peter Bartelli wrote:Now THAT's interesting Tim!

...and true Peter!
Tim Herman #2197
www.carreramotorsport.com

Larry Coreth
356 Fan

#21 Post by Larry Coreth »

Guys,
Being an anal engineer let me play "doubting Thomas" a moment .Where is this "tight" measurement being done? What's the difference left to right?
As I mentioned in a previous post the distance between the tire and the inside wheel well varies as a function of camber, Since the trans is held in position by the rubber mounts to the trans hoop, the variances here are numerous ! Are you sure yours is dead nuts on center?
Now if you measure wheel arch to inner wheel well, that's good but even there you can push the whole fender in and out to suit, ask a 356 racer. So any idea of tight or loose is pretty much in the eye of the beholder !
The manual is not very enlightening. although there is one measurement given between the fender braces mounting holes (1320mm) but it is assumed to be centered.

Finally, Tim where did you glean that bit info ? The only accommodation for Carrera conversion in the left wheel well that I'm aware of is on "A's" such as my Speedster, the engine compartment floor is bolted in place as opposed to welded, the holes for the fill neck, etc., of the oil tank are there,but covered over with tar paper and the mounting brackets for the oil tank and also the Carrera rubber seal holder.
Larry Coreth
Roanoake Rapids, NC

Al Zim
356 Fan

#22 Post by Al Zim »

D'leteren (Dl) was the worst supplier of 356 cars that Porsche ever commissioned to work for them. Some of the cars were sent back to the factory repaired the numbers leaded over and then went to Porsche. At One time I owned Marco Merinelo's car. This car was from California and had no rust. Under the car and in front of the drivers door was a hole large enough to stick you hand through. Porsche was selling cars! if the cars were any good they would have kept on selling them rather than limit he supply to 249 cars. As a manufacturer purchasing hardware and supplies always goes to the lowest bidder. A prime example of this is the Merilli distributors and generators. The cars were not manufactured in Germany parts of German manufacture were taxed going into Belgium. That is why the headlight lenses are different as are the battery and pull cord for the front hood emergency opening. The wiper motor is a Bosch which was almost never used by Porsche they used swf. As an afterthought I would suggest you insure the car for 200K use Michelin defender 195/65/15 tires and do not drive the car rapidly. With some luck you will find a upscale repair shop with the Hunter Elite alignment system we charge in the $400 to align a 356 (its 4 wheel alignment) you will have to bring the specifications from the workshop manual with you to the facility. Changing in ride height and camber will require additional costs. It is my guess that this has not been done since the car left the factory. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#23 Post by Edwin Ek »

Bringing this thread back to life. One more thing, which is a doozy as far as I am concerned. There is a red vinyl manual cover with a D'Iteren logo. I had never heard of such a thing, but have seen pictures.

There are D'Iteren key fobs too, but that is not news.

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#24 Post by Brian R Adams »

FWIW:

I once found a link to an audio clip of a Belgian chap pronouncing D'Ieteren. Can't find it now, but the first German pronunciation in the list here is very close:

http://www.pronouncekiwi.com/D'Ieteren
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#25 Post by Edwin Ek »

A few more to add:

The good German carpet available from most suppliers, including Autos International and Tony Garcia, has bigger loops than the original. Some German suppliers have carpet with more accurate looping.

The brake fluid reservoir can is aluminum, not the plastic job supplied now. A cans are different than B cans.

Windshield wipers and arms- check the thread on this topic.

Yellow-dot foglight switches have screw terminals, not spade connectors as on C cars. There were no switches with bullet connectors.

The post coming out of Roadster sunvisor brackets is not perpendicular to the base, due to the curved windshield frame.

Wow, the shaft of the hand-throttle pull knob when extended is looooong.

On many if not most, but not all, of the Kardexes for these cars, the FE code for the transmission-lock key is not recorded, for some reason. I think the locks came standard on these cars.

The lenses for the Hella 128 foglights have a crown logo.

There is no dimple on the shift knob.

A fellow owner has been immensely helpful in my learning about these cars, but I think he should remain unnamed.

Oh, and two more years later, my car really is returning to the road. I drove it, just on the dirt road where my mechanic's shop-house is, for the first time in 24 years.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#26 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Jon I sent my daughter who lives in Manhattan Beach and surfs your picture. She loves it.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#27 Post by Jules Dielen »

Edwin, congrats on putting the first few miles on your T6R after such a long slumber! Now carry a note pad and keep a list of 'tid bits' to take care of. It WILL get shorter the more you drive. Very cool to have another twin grill roadster on the road!
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Rusty Ferrell
356 Fan

#28 Post by Rusty Ferrell »

A few pics would be nice. Getting these poorly made, (according to Zimz), out of hibernation is a very labor intensive process. In some way I find it difficult to believe that Porsche would let their name be put on something of Poor quality. Sending cars back to coach builders was most likely a common occurance for low volume builders.
Rusty
Rusty

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#29 Post by Jules Dielen »

my S90 T6R was used as a race car by its first 3 owners/ 8/9 years of its 56 year life. I have a few gruesome pictures of my car in its early days, racing in some serious Canadian mud runs and getting track time (including hay bales) in Canada and Washington state. I am frankly highly surprised it survived those ordeals for that many years. If the D'ieteren quality was really that bad, i think it would have been crushed/ destroyed by the late 1960s.

I am happy she survived and can now safely rest in my garage under a blanket, ready for the next fun trip.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Michael Foster
356 Fan

#30 Post by Michael Foster »

Jules, what the H--- is a S90 T6R? I have been around Porsche's since 1966 and have never heard that one. I do know that S90 and T6 makes it a 62-63 car but what is the special R designation you keep putting in your posts. I don't believe Porsche made an R series car until the later 900 series 911's were in production.

Michael Foster
MICHAEL FOSTER