Engine Test Stand Question

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dan Mazur
356 Fan

Engine Test Stand Question

#1 Post by Dan Mazur »

Hi Folks,
Im putting together a test stand for my 356 C, 6volt engine.
I acquired what appears to be a later VW buss bell housing and fabbed up a weldment to mount it to the engine stand.
Silly me, I didn't read up on the forum before starting down this rabbit hole and now realize the issues with starter motors not fitting, bushings too small, etc.
I did machine away some of the casting so the 356 lower bolts were accessible for nuts and washers.

It seems this was addressed in an earlier thread, but no final resolution was posted.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4630

Question for those who have gone before; Is there a way to make this work with a 6 volt 356 engine, or should I bail out before diving deeper in the rabbit hole?

Thanks and Kind Regards
Dan
Attachments
IMGP1185.JPG
IMGP1184.JPG
IMGP1183.JPG
"I never leave Ann Arbor. The real world is too hard to face."

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Engine Test Stand Question

#2 Post by David Jones »

Dan, one issue with the bus trans piece if it was for a 12 volt starter will be the diameter of the hole for the starter shaft. It is smaller than the 6 volt starter so will not fit. The solution is to turn the starter shaft down on a lathe which unfortunately requires dismantling the starter motor.
A VW starter from a parts store is cheap and if you use 12 volts it will spin the engine over very well.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#3 Post by Doug McDonnell »

PM sent
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

John Brooks
356 Fan

#4 Post by John Brooks »

Dan

Does the 6V starter bolt up? Enlarging the hole is pretty easy, and putting in the bushing. I have used an old bent window case half for years and it works for 6V like it should, and my 12V started does not have the extended shaft for the bushing so it works both ways.
You might find your setup a little shaky that far up the pole, when running. Mine is below

http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Resto ... stand.html
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

John Weyand
356 Fan

#5 Post by John Weyand »

Don't alter the trans starter bushing hole, use a special bushing bushing that the buggy guys have used for years. It will allow a 12 volt starter to fit a 6 volt mount.

https://www.appletreeauto.com/12V-TO-6V ... a30ab5f939
John W
'64 "C" coupe

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#6 Post by David Jones »

But a 12 volt starter has the wrong starter dog and will not mesh with the 6 volt starter ring gear and there is no bushing that can fit in the already smaller diameter hole in the 12 volt starter case. Ask me how I know because I just did it with a bus trans starter housing. A new 12 volt starter with the correct 6 volt starter dog will cost more than using a new 6 volt VW starter with a turned down starter shaft. The 6 volt VW starter will work very well with 12 volts and as it is not in frequent use should not cause any significant damage to the starter ring gear.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

#7 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

Dan -
Perhaps of alternative interest:-
As depicted below, I used Tom Perazzo's engine stand adapter for my 6v C engine and starter.
Tom's Zalex Industries' adapter comes in full or half ring configurations with starter mount.
For specific info: <zalexindustries.com> or call Tom at (858) 243-0476.
- Wil
Attachments
DSCN0316.JPG

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#8 Post by Dan Epperly »

I use an old VW bell housing on both my Porsche and VW engine builds 6 or 12 volt. The OD on the bushing housing is the same, the ID is different, so as someone pointed out you just need to get the adapter bushing. For the 12v its a narrower ID. With a fatter OD assuming it's a six volt flywheel.
Everything else should fit right up.