Getting ready to change oil...tips appreciated

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
tim noble
356 Fan

Re: Getting ready to change oil...tips appreciated

#16 Post by tim noble »

Be careful when reinstalling the oil filter cap after changing the filter. Not only can oil leak past the gasket but if the bolt is not seated with the proper copper washer you may find your engine compartment covered with oil. The washer supplied by one of our venders is narrow and has a way oversized ID so it does not fit snugly on the bolt and because of the narrow width, even when carefully centered, it’s nearly impossible to get a good seal. I just tossed 2 after having no luck and lots of cleaning up oil, annealed the old one with a torch and it worked perfectly.
Tim

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#17 Post by David Jones »

Tim, is it possible you bought the wrong copper seal as there is a choice because there are at least two different bolt sizes used because of the difference between the filter cans. See this article.
https://porsche356registry.org/article/230
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

tim noble
356 Fan

#18 Post by tim noble »

David
I believe you are correct. They have a 16mm x 22 mm and a 12 x 18 both described for 356 and 912. SO a cautionary note to self "use the proper washer and don't just search for copper washer". Thanks
Tim

Larry Haskett
356 Fan

#19 Post by Larry Haskett »

I have a question concerning the oil filter canister. In the Heidi and Franny's Garage video on changing the oil, when Franny takes off the top of the canister she mentions it has a spring. Later on when she is putting the top back on you can clearly see it. I know the canister in my C does not have the spring. Should it?

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#20 Post by Ron LaDow »

Larry Haskett wrote:I have a question concerning the oil filter canister. In the Heidi and Franny's Garage video on changing the oil, when Franny takes off the top of the canister she mentions it has a spring. Later on when she is putting the top back on you can clearly see it. I know the canister in my C does not have the spring. Should it?
At least one of the cannisters has that spring (or should), but to be honest, I'm not sure what it is intended to accomplish. It's not like the filter element has a lot of freedom-of-movement without it.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz