Fitting vertical trim over threshold mat

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jack Banville
356 Fan

Fitting vertical trim over threshold mat

#1 Post by Jack Banville »

I'm attempting to install the vertical aluminum trim over the threshold mat on my '63 Ruetter coupe.
When I dry fit the mat and aluminum trim there is a 1/8" gap between the bottom of the trim and the top of the door opening. The pre-existing holes are not even close to lining up with the holes in the trim.
The wide edge of the mat is on the outboard side, not one of the ribs. In other words I'm fitting the trim over the thinnest edge of the mat. Both the mat and the trim are new.
All of my reference books show the trim fitting over the mat, not butted against the mat.

What am I going wrong?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Jack

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Fitting vertical trim over threshold mat

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Good discussion and pictures by Bruce Baker in this old link: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25248&hilit=threshold+trim
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jack Banville
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jack Banville »

Thank you, Doug,
I did a search and read that post prior to posting mine. I'm doing exactly as Bruce described yet his vertical strip is in the correct position relative to the lower door opening. Mine is 1/8" above it.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Currently available trim does not align with original holes-at least it didn't on my 65 C. I just marked and drilled new holes.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Benade »

What was the source of your rockerpanel/thresholds? They may have been made too deep.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jack Banville
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jack Banville »

Doug, I had to drill new holes as well. I finally back beveled the edge of the mat and got it to fit pretty well. Sometimes you just have to work with what you have.

Martin, you asked a good question. And that may very well be the case. I wish I knew the answer but I bought this project after all the body/metal work was finished.

Thank you both for the help.

Jack