starter wont work when engine hot ??

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
JohnLiles
356 Fan

starter wont work when engine hot ??

#1 Post by JohnLiles »

If have been sat in slow traffic or running at speed for a while , when I switch engine off it wont restart.
Just a slight dimming of ignition light but no noise whatsoever.
Leave it for a few hours and will restart like normal.

Push button start , 12 electrics , 912 motor
Have not searched this yet , but guess something needs replacing or repairing ? :(
1957 'A' and 1955 'Continental Outlaw'

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

Re: starter wont work when engine hot ??

#2 Post by Dan Epperly »

JohnLiles wrote:If have been sat in slow traffic or running at speed for a while , when I switch engine off it wont restart.
Just a slight dimming of ignition light but no noise whatsoever.
Leave it for a few hours and will restart like normal.

Push button start , 12 electrics , 912 motor
Have not searched this yet , but guess something needs replacing or repairing ? :(

You might get by with installing a hot start relay. But my experience is that usually means the starter is on it's last legs before it gives up the ghost.

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#3 Post by Thomas Sottile »

John check the grounds and all main power connections as metal gets hot it will expand and brake contact.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#5 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Starter bushing needs replacing. My first Porsche would crank strongly when cold but after even a slight warm-up, not the slightest reaction of the starter. Easy and inexpensive fix...of course, I learned the hard way, after Porsche charged me a fortune. As Harry Pellow used to say, "Experience is a hard teacher but a fool has no other!"
Of course, cleaning/replacing the ground cables, etc. also helps.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Benade »

My first Porsche acted that way due to a bad ground strap. For six months I had to either count on staying where I went for a couple of hours, or bring a friend to help push-start. The bushing seems to be the most common fix, though.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#7 Post by Neil Bardsley »

I had a hot issue on my 6v car. Worth checking the wiring from the positive battery to light switch and then the ignition switch. Mine had decay badly and was worse when heated up.

JohnLiles
356 Fan

#8 Post by JohnLiles »

Thanks for the responses so far guys , have had a look at the thread referenced.

Just for clarification , when the starter wont work it is not even trying to work , there is no movement or noise , you know that you have pushed the starter button and it has operated because the red ignition light dims ( I dont have key start but pre A button start)
The engine is a 912 type , the electrics are 12v , so assume the starter will be 912 type . I might stick my head under the car to examine further , don't like that confined space much so not rushing to do it !!

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#9 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Starter can not be a 912. Won't fit.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#10 Post by Doug McDonnell »

The reality is that it s usually not one thing. One thing may make it better but not correct. Here is my favorite way to look at the problem. http://www.cyberwerkstatt.com/Members_O ... ooting.htm Could be starter bushing, could be starter itself, could be wiring. Could be your ignition although it sounds like someone has rewired ignition already to try to fix.Even if you replace the starter bushing and it works I have found that every single wire end should be renewed to good copper. When everything is renewed you will never have a problem again. Sometimes hard to get to that point though. A perfect example is my own a few years ago. I completely restored my car including new wiring harness and all ground wires new, etc etc etc. Everything was new or rebuilt. Car would only crank slowly and hard to start. Drove me nuts. I went through the starter troubleshooter and it ended up being the brand new Bosch Premium rebuilt starter. New starter from abcpartswerks.com (see ad in the Registry magazine) and all is well and starts easily. PS every wire end on your car is now 63 years old. Consider having every wire end at starter and battery renewed.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

JohnLiles
356 Fan

#11 Post by JohnLiles »

Vic Skirmants wrote:Starter can not be a 912. Won't fit.
Hi Vic , the engine no is 832331 and the transmission no is 62379 . Does that narrow it down ?