Best advice

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ned Gorski
356 Fan

Re: Best advice

#16 Post by Ned Gorski »

i drive about 400 miles a year. i store my car in a tempered garage no less than 55 deg f in the winter and no more than 78f in the summer . my car is parked on thick rubber mats (horse stall mats) keeps out moisture and stops the tires from getting flat spots .. just before i put the car away for the winter( on a dry cool day) i drain the fuel and add aviation fuel, start it up until i can smell the fuel. i then change the oil start the car for a quick minute . remove the battery roll down the windows put up the top ,prop open the hood about a ft and open the trunk then inflate the car capsule .

i purchased a car capsule well worth the $300 dollar investment. only costs about $3 a month to run . i built a filter for the air intake put it up high with some 4" flex duct( to pull in cleaner dryer air from the ceiling and made a descant bead box for the supply side .The car comes out clean and dry every spring, looks as beautiful as when i put her to bed for the winter. Not to mention the capsule is clear i can leave for work every day and see her sitting pretty in the garage no cover no mice and no mothball smell no problems . The descant beads will last about 3 to 4 months before they start to turn red once that happens i take them out and bake at 165f for a few hours with the oven door cracked open to let the moisture escape until they tum blue again then reuse them.

The aviation fuel is key. i never have carb issues any more .i store every non catalytic gas engine i own with it now. i have not had to rebuild a carb on anything in the past 10 years due to bad gas . one local air port has a pump i can walk up to, the other will bring the truck up to the fence and fill your 5 gallon can.

moisture in the oil has always made me nervous. ever since i saw a crank on the bench at a local vw shop looked like termites got to it from the acid ... they mechanic told me they rebuilt that motor 10 years prior. he said "that's what happens when you don't drive a car and store it with moisture in the oil. it turns to acid and eats it up" ..

fyi the car fits with plenty of room to spare in the small size car capsule . i removed the front bumper prior to storage to repair a few paint chips .

Regards Ned
55 continental Cab
Attachments
15283126169290.jpg
Last edited by Ned Gorski on Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Drew Ogden
356 Fan

#17 Post by Drew Ogden »

Ned, you are the right guy to buy a car from!

M Penta
356 Fan

#18 Post by M Penta »

I have thought about a car capsule, they look like a great solution. I wonder if there is a minimum storage temp for them?

Interesting comment on the oil. I have often contemplated changing before or after storage.

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#19 Post by Mark Sabbann »

M Penta wrote:I have thought about a car capsule, they look like a great solution. I wonder if there is a minimum storage temp for them?
Good question and one I was curious about too. I looked into one available from one of the well know car cover sellers. According to the answer to one customer question, "the capsule can be used indoors in extreme temps." The info on the capsule also indicated that no source of heat, "not even a light bulb" should be inserted into a car capsule. That got me thinking about how to use a battery tender on a car inside a capsule. I guess you would have to make a good seal around an extension cord to keep it from leaking. But, isn't a battery tender a transformer that gives off heat, so how could one be used inside the capsule?. Maybe not. Anyone using a capsule with a battery tender on the car?
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

George Kehler
356 Fan

#20 Post by George Kehler »

I LOVE my car capsule !! Bought from Griots Garage sev years ago. Fan runs without any problems with supplied perforated cover to keep out dirt. Has a small hole to run a battery tender cord but prob not the best idea to have the unit in there. I run my tender cord thru it. The same company, Carcapsule.com., sells the capsule directly, is around $400 but free shipping and is great to look at your beauty thru the clear plastic. Cheaper than a new garage !!
George Kehler II

1955 Coupe
1971 911 S
1997 993 Targa

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#21 Post by Ned Gorski »

i love my car-capsule ..George you are correct, i love being able to see my car ever time i walk thorough the garage and well worth the piece of mind when over wintering, that there are no mice setting up residence under a cover .
I dodged a bullet two years ago, before i purchased the car capsule. A mouse set up residence under my cover in-between the top and the padding, lucky they did no permanent damage .The one down side is i found the fan to be quite loud. that was easily fixed by adding some dryer flex duct and a filter bank it cut the fan noise in half.

Regards Ned
55 Continental Cab