'53 Transaxle Gear Noise

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

'53 Transaxle Gear Noise

#1 Post by Dan Kalinski »

Guessing this is normal for these old transmissions (to whine) from the year of 1953. But, told my friend that owns this car, would ask the Registry if this is normal. Think he has been listening to this noise for the past 40+ years... Also, this has a '59 engine in it.

Further, he complains of a hard time to get into reverse. I'm guessing the linkage probably needs to be adjusted.

What would be the test to determine if bearings/gears need to be replaced?

Thanks.
Attachments
53 2.jpg

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

Re: '53 Transaxle Gear Noise

#2 Post by John Lindstrom »

Sounds perfectly normal to me.

John Brooks
356 Fan

#3 Post by John Brooks »

Dan
Check the oil. Then.
You could jack it up on stands, remove the wheels and spin it by hand in neutral. Feel for dragging or small jerks, if it feels ok, hold one drum fixed, spin the other. Then start it and idle it in each gear and see if you hear anything.
It does not get driven much so it could have a couple light rusty or dry balls on a bearing.
Put it in 3rd or 4th and run it up to 2500-3000 for a few minutes. Just spin the axels and drums. Let the axels droop and they will fill the wheel bearings end with fresher oil. Get everything rotating and wetted.

If it does not make any unusually loud whining or noises, take it out and drive it fast in a low gear and try to sling some oil around and re wet everything.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi
it probably would be prudent to have it torn down while there are a few "experts" practicing their craft.
j

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dan Kalinski »

John Lindstrom wrote:Sounds perfectly normal to me.
Think you are right!

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dan Kalinski »

John Brooks wrote:Dan
Check the oil. Then.
You could jack it up on stands, remove the wheels and spin it by hand in neutral. Feel for dragging or small jerks, if it feels ok, hold one drum fixed, spin the other. Then start it and idle it in each gear and see if you hear anything.
It does not get driven much so it could have a couple light rusty or dry balls on a bearing.
Put it in 3rd or 4th and run it up to 2500-3000 for a few minutes. Just spin the axels and drums. Let the axels droop and they will fill the wheel bearings end with fresher oil. Get everything rotating and wetted.

If it does not make any unusually loud whining or noises, take it out and drive it fast in a low gear and try to sling some oil around and re wet everything.
Drained the trans fluid last summer. Don't recall seeing anything that looked suspicious and don't think the plug was very bad at all with accumulated swarf. Pumped in gear oil off the shelf, not Swepco, don't remember what it was and was supplied by the owner. Have 201 in the shop, but perhaps 203 would be fine too which is straight 90w.

Once we get it in the air will do what you recommend and see what happens.

Thanks again for your post.
Attachments
g356.jpg

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#7 Post by Dan Kalinski »

Jacques Lefriant wrote:Hi
it probably would be prudent to have it torn down while there are a few "experts" practicing their craft.
j
Will probably go down this road soon enough.

Thanks for posting here.

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#8 Post by John Lindstrom »

He probably needs to take it out and drive the piss out of it. Once she warms up a little, she’ll probably sing on the ride back to the garage. My cars always drive better once they’re warmed up real well.

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#9 Post by Edwin Ek »

Does it whine all the time? Under power, coasting, in every gear?

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#10 Post by Dan Kalinski »

John Lindstrom wrote:He probably needs to take it out and drive the piss out of it. Once she warms up a little, she’ll probably sing on the ride back to the garage. My cars always drive better once they’re warmed up real well.
Will bet the car has not seen a 50 mile drive in years. Only two people have driven this car under the current owner and I drove onto my lift and then off...... Think a spirited drive is certainly in order.

Thank you.

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#11 Post by Dan Kalinski »

Edwin Ek wrote:Does it whine all the time? Under power, coasting, in every gear?
Not sure on this but will get to test drive once this “little” issue is resolved from a badly placed car and the garage door.....dang.
Attachments
A8F14298-A831-4120-B5A3-9471A75DE389.jpeg

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#12 Post by Edwin Ek »

I asked my mechanic (who has been working on these cars and rebuilding their transmissions since they were new) about this. He said the transmission shouldn't make any more noise than a 741 in good shape. Very possible that it was run out of or low on oil. No way to really figure out the scoop without taking it apart.

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#13 Post by John Lindstrom »

Only thing worse than closing the garage door on your 356 is closing the garage door on your friends 356. Ask me how I know...

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#14 Post by Ron LaDow »

Dan Kalinski wrote:
Edwin Ek wrote:Does it whine all the time? Under power, coasting, in every gear?
Not sure on this but will get to test drive once this “little” issue is resolved from a badly placed car and the garage door.....dang.
Dan, you have the collective sympathy of the commentariat and if you add $5 to that, it'll get you a cup of coffee from a barista.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#15 Post by Dan Kalinski »

John Lindstrom wrote:Only thing worse than closing the garage door on your 356 is closing the garage door on your friends 356. Ask me how I know...
Certainly a very embarrassing moment.....