Full Remote Oil Cooler Kit

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
marcsherriff
356 Fan

Full Remote Oil Cooler Kit

#1 Post by marcsherriff »

Hi there, Marc here from Perth.
After recently rebuilding my 1960 356B normal motor, pretty much to Duane Spencer's suggestions in his great little book, I have discovered the limitations of doubling my horsepower, with a new aluminium oil cooler, and our ambient summer temperatures.

I want to put a remote oil filter on, to increase my qty of oil, and naturally to actually filter it all, in my rear wheel well. Hoping the extra litre, running through the pipes, and the filter itself will lower my oil temps. I am strugling to find a vendor that will actually sell me everything in one kit. I really would like the type of remote oil adaptor that has pressure relief, and does not require drilling and tapping my 3rd piece. It sounds like every 356 owner and his dog has done this type of thing, but I am struggling to source all parts from one place. My understanding is i need the following:
Adaptor plate.
Oil lines with fittings
Heat resistant sleeves for above, for where they pass over the Heat exchangers/flapper boxes.
Oil filter holder/mount or whatever the thing the spin on filter actually spins on to, that the lines connect to.

Whilst hunting for unicorns, I may as well say I'd also love it to have a mechanical tacho drive, but will convert my tacho if (when) necessary.

Due to my location on the globe, and my 12 hour time difference with most of you, actually talking to vendors, does have its own challenges.

Any suggestions/advice welcome.
Marc Sherriff
Marc and Cars
www.youtube.com/c/marcandcars

Perth.
Western Australia.

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

Re: Full Remote Oil Cooler Kit

#2 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

Contact http://precisionmatters.biz/
Ron LaDow is a member here and most probably he will give you an answer.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#3 Post by Martin Benade »

A larger oil capacity will at least take more time to get all the oil hot.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dan Epperly »

Martin Benade wrote:A larger oil capacity will at least take more time to get all the oil hot.
...and to get it cooler.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ron LaDow »

Marc did contact me, and I directed him to the old Full Flow article, and pointed out that there is no way I know to satisfy all the guy's requests with a 'kit'; everybody wants to do it differently.
AFAIK, the Pre Mat Adapter is the only one not requiring drilling of the timing cover, but there is not enough real estate to move the oil and drive that tach.
Article: http://www.precisionmatters.biz/pdf/ful ... ration.pdf
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Benade »

If you could give in to drilling the third piece (maybe an extra one) perhaps Vic (356 Enterprises) could put together the parts you need. Hopefully I will not get in trouble with him for suggesting this.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

marcsherriff
356 Fan

#7 Post by marcsherriff »

Thanks for the info Ron. I suspected as much. As to everyone wanting to do it differently, If your product gets away with not drilling, surely this would be the preferred way to do it? Unless I am missing something? Anyway, if anyone has suggestions on sourcing the filtering part of this jigsaw, that they have used, it will be appreciated.
Marc Sherriff
Marc and Cars

Perth.
Western Australia.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#8 Post by Martin Benade »

Look at Ron's setup more carefully. It has the filter right on it. You will not have the tach drive or any extra piping. You may get a little cooling effect, but mostly an excellent filtering effect, in one neat package.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

marcsherriff
356 Fan

#9 Post by marcsherriff »

Martin I was looking at his adaptor with pressure relief option.
Marc Sherriff
Marc and Cars

Perth.
Western Australia.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#10 Post by Martin Benade »

Sorry I wasn't aware he had two products. That one is a good starting point for what you want.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#11 Post by Ron LaDow »

marcsherriff wrote:Thanks for the info Ron. I suspected as much. As to everyone wanting to do it differently, If your product gets away with not drilling, surely this would be the preferred way to do it? Unless I am missing something? Anyway, if anyone has suggestions on sourcing the filtering part of this jigsaw, that they have used, it will be appreciated.
Marc, I thought I sent you a link to an Oz-source for the hoses/fittings. If that didn't come through, drop me a note and I'll forward it again.
Regardless of that, I did an analysis of the alternative 616 lube system mods here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40650
The intent of the Pre Mat systems, Full Flow or Remote, is to NOT re-engineer the factory lube system, since the factory spent 'way more time than I ever could working out how to get oil to the bearings.
The intent is simple: Take the oil out, filter (and cool it?) and run it back in where it came out; no changes, back-flows, block-offs or anything of the sort.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#12 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

If you use the full flow filtering system, would it be possible to use a sandwich plate between the filter and add a remote oil cooler ?
Attachments
oil adapter.jpg

marcsherriff
356 Fan

#13 Post by marcsherriff »

Ron,
never received the response, if it was emailed through. Can you try marc@tbe.com.au ?
I want to order a couple of things from you, so if you could touch base, it would be appreciated.
Marc Sherriff
Marc and Cars

Perth.
Western Australia.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#14 Post by Ron LaDow »

marcsherriff wrote:Ron,
never received the response, if it was emailed through. Can you try marc@tbe.com.au ?
I want to order a couple of things from you, so if you could touch base, it would be appreciated.
Marc,
Got your email and resent the original. If you don't get it end of Sunday (your time) repost here and we'll conduct business on the Registry forum!
What the hell!
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz