1960 356 Roadster body work

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Doug Tamura
356 Fan

1960 356 Roadster body work

#1 Post by Doug Tamura »

I purchased a 1960 356 roadster in boxes several years ago. I have finally saved up enough money to start restoring it. I have two questions to start. I am getting ready to hire a body man to restore all of the rust. The bottom pan is gone, I know a lot of companies sale replacement pans. Does any one have suggestions what company makes the best pan I should order?? The second decision I need to make. The bottom of both doors have a fair amount of rust around the weep holes. Is it better to have my body man try to repair the doors or should I purchase replacement lower door panels and have them welded on??

As I get into my project I will become a steady customer on this site. I am afraid this is just the beginning.

doug

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: 1960 356 Roadster body work

#2 Post by Adam Wright »

Another Roadster saved, good job!

As far as the door bottoms, can you post some pics of how bad the rust is? If it is localized you might not want to do the whole door bottom, this is a job that if not done right is tricky to make right. Like the old door bottom repairs on my Roadster, done wrong makes a lot of trouble.
Attachments
18.JPG
16.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#3 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Does your proposed body man have 356 experience? Especially with an open car? If he has done several, maybe let him decide which panels to use.

Jon Bingham
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jon Bingham »

Vic Skirmants wrote:Does your proposed body man have 356 experience? Especially with an open car? If he has done several, maybe let him decide which panels to use.

Doug, whats the company called of your body man?

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#5 Post by James Davies »

As for floor pans, the most accurate ones being made right now are done by Simonsen. Not their old orange ones - those are not accurate at all - but their new galvanized sheet ones.

https://www.instagram.com/simonsen356panels/

The Restoration Design ones are also very good and probably priced better for N. America.