chassis mockup

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: chassis mockup

#16 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Maybe he'll pre-rust certain areas to make them more correct.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#17 Post by Martin Benade »

Without thinking of the effect on anyone else, I would be satisfied with a faithful recreation of a car that I couldn't otherwise afford.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#18 Post by Ron LaDow »

C J Murray wrote:Exactly.
(MHO)
Doesn't matter UNLESS it is presented fraudulently.
Years ago, there was a wonderful (fake) 550 at Gary's Camp Out, 6-cyl power, really neat Didion rear suspension ; GREAT! No 550s, nor their value was harmed.
Fake Cobras? Who cares? Check a hot-rod show for plastic Duces. Or not. (My opinion: 2 pedals, not a hot rod)
How much is replaced? If I were buying, I'd ask to see "before" photos to make sure someone didn't "restore" the Speedster I sold as scrap in '76.
Other than that, it is as it always has been: caveat emptor. How many Bugatti T57s still exist?
I would suggest to Mike that the trunk floor be stamped such that serial number fakery is made obvious.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#19 Post by Martin Benade »

Maybe even a serial number on almost every part.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

C J Murray
356 Fan

#20 Post by C J Murray »

I wonder how many scrapped Speedster titles are being pulled from desk drawers and dusted off?

Actually I have recently found a legal way to acquire titles for old cars and motorcycles without using any of the people who advertise such services. It's easy. Too easy. All you need is a serial number that doesn't show on any motor vehicle records.

I am not personally as concerned about being the victim of fraud so much because I believe that I can tell the difference between an original car and something that was made yesterday. New shells may cause an increase in fraud but that just adds another method for crooks. Fraud is common and you would be surprised to know that many people you respect have engaged in fraud. Follow the money.

For me, the reason I don't want a 2019 Canadian Speedster is that I don't want to appear to be what I am not. I don't want to be like the politician that lies about his war service or college grades. Appearances aside, I would be driving along thinking, I wonder what a real one feels like. It's better to buy a 2019 Kia.

Realistically though I think Mike will find plenty of buyers.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#21 Post by Adam Wright »

I've already joked that I'm going have to put plexi over the wall of dead cars because there are a few Speedsters up there. No plucking from the wall!!

Personally I'm a big fan of building cars you can't afford. That's why I'm currently building a 904 and a 550. Seeing as I don't have the 8 million laying about for such cars and even if I did I wouldn't want to drive a 5 million dollar car around. But if I build it, I can drive it like I stole it, because if I wreck it, I can build it again, and again.
One thing I am doing that's just a personal choice, is I'm using Porsche chassis' for both cars. The 904 is going onto an old IMSA 914-6, Bob Garretson may recognize it. And the 550 is going onto a rolled over C Coupe I have out in the yard. In my mind when I'm done they will both still be Porsches, with Porsche DNA, albeit Porsche Special's of my creation, but there is a long history of the Porsche Special.

All joking aside, I think what Mike is doing is a great thing, now you can race a Speedster at the track with no worries, or build the outlaw you always wanted. The guy who bought Da Spoodster from me already had a Speedster, but he couldn't run it like Da Spoodster with wild abandon! There are two things I refuse to be afraid of if I own them, a dog or a car, if you have one you're afraid of, get a new one. Now being afraid of your wife is natural, I'm terrified of mine, but dogs and cars, I'm the KING!
Attachments
spoodposter.jpg
vinwallnew1.JPG
skinned914.jpg
120.jpeg
61.JPG
85.JPG
83.JPG
82.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#22 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I am always happy to see decent parts reproduced. I am old enough to remember when used might be found and Chuck Stoddard started reproducing some parts. I also Remember when RD was in Eaton Rapids Michigan and you could rarely get ahold of them. Keep it up Mike.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Roy Smalley
356 Fan

#23 Post by Roy Smalley »

Having owned, restored and driven many, I think....my opinion as it is, Speedsters are art, mechanically and aesthetically. So it can be duplicated much as a print of a priceless Monet or Cezanne and rather than be housed in a vault, enjoyed by those that cannot afford an original. I think it is a good thing as is restoring those that barely survived. Both a tribute to Porsche engineering and automotive art.
 Roy Smalley
Texas

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#24 Post by Martin Benade »

Cj, if you drove a new Canadian Speedster you would look exactly like what you are- a man that owns a Speedster. Nothing dishonest there. Also if Mike gets all the spot-welds duplicated it should drive just like the real thing.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#25 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Doug McDonnell wrote:I am always happy to see decent parts reproduced. I am old enough to remember when used might be found and Chuck Stoddard started reproducing some parts. I also Remember when RD was in Eaton Rapids Michigan and you could rarely get ahold of them. Keep it up Mike.
I remember hand-bending my own longitudinals over a large plastic pipe.
Thanks, Mike.

gregorycampbell
356 Fan

#26 Post by gregorycampbell »

Sometimes I think that the next caretaker of 80356 will restore it to its Speedster moment in time.
Attachments
NuQilKpn4UVAMSy7QvY2okyXWSRU5a-nBCiHDDUNLRQ,pJ0dKkPj5ViP7JeTn5qpg1SUvKE5a4qtO1NtJFmYfrI.jpeg
Gregory Campbell
'60 Roadster, Outlaw
'67 Double Cab, Porschwagen
'18 904 w/ faux cam
'55 Speedster, Devin bodied Racer
'64 Elva Porsche
'64 Coupe, RHD Racer
'62 Single Cab, Volkshauler
'57 ghia, Porschized rally car
'55 Sunroof, Outlaw

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#27 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

To make Galvalume parts?

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

Mike DeJonge
356 Fan

#28 Post by Mike DeJonge »

Thanks for all the comments, we are excited about this project.
Doing this project has enabled us to do several things we were unable to do before.
We can now verify fit and correctness of the parts we produce. We have several cars here, A,B and C models and have noticed numerous different stampings for different cars. We are now able to make several parts which are different by making inserts for the dies, so several parts can be made by the same basic die set. We can now also verify the fitmentof the parts and can make final adjustments if needed. Some dies have already been modified slightly to be able to make better parts, and we will also be making dies for a few parts that are still being made by hand. Making dies for hand made parts will effectively eliminate variances on the parts. By having the chassis on a celette bench, which is the go to bench for the Porsches we can verify.
this project has also enabled us to produce parts that we never would have nor contemplated making. We have totally stripped a speedster of all the removable parts and then removed the complete outer shell, giving us access so we can digitally scan all the sheet metal parts.
This project will also enable us to deliver to market an affordable speedster, an iconic car. We will also then be able to make available all sheet metal parts, faithfully duplicated. This will also enable the restorer access to parts, which will be in our inventory, reducing the high costs of a restoration. Hand-made parts often expensive, not available, ill-fitting or have extended wait times, we aim to change this. We will have available from our inventory, and cost effective, and better fitting parts.
We have all been to car shows, and have seen the fibre glass cars and can quickly recognize them as fibre glass quite easily. We aim to produce a body which will accept stock parts from a 356, and be a lot less recognizable as a replica.
In producing this car we have no intention of making it possible for builders to be able to defraud unsuspecting buyers, although that will most likely happen. Fraud only occurs when something is misrepresented intentionally. There are many "suitcase" cars out there, just built from parts from a real car, and some people are ok with that and some are not. What is ethical? Each of us has to answer that for themselves, and each of us will have different levels of tolerance. Its good that we can all express our own levels of tolerance without being castigated for our views.
we think that this will be an affordable project for the younger generation coming up, and that hopefully we will be able to engage more people. My three sons are looking forward to driving speedsters even thought they will not be "real". This project should also be good for the ancillary parts producers/seller/suppliers since more parts will be needed to get the cars on the road.
We knew there would be those who have mixed feelings about a project like this, and we respect those voices. We had mixed feeling about this project also because of the numerous aspects, such as values, perceived value effects, capital invest, return on investment, the time it takes, effect on values of stock parts, and the list goes on.
Overall we hope we can ALL enjoy these cars to some degree, if you can actually own one or if it makes your restoration more affordable.
attached are some pictures of the real speedster we took apart to digitally scan.
oh I got the pictures right this time so you can look at them without twisting those neck muscles
Attachments
speedster chassis 3.JPG
speedster chassis 2.JPG
speedster chassis 1.JPG
speedster chassis.JPG
Mike dejonge
Restoration Design Inc.
52 Pre A Body Bumper X2
53 Pre A coupe
54 Pre A speedster
56 Speedster
60 D'letern Roadster
67 911
05 997

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#29 Post by David Jones »

More power to you Mike. I am one of those weirdos that have absolutely no desire to own a speedster. I still think to this day it is an ugly car with the top up and the minimalist design left me cold, especially in spring and fall. I prefer my "A" cabrio for comfort even if it does not handle on the level of the equivalent model year speedster but nowadays handling is not something I seek in a vintage car. I do however have a set of door vin plates off a defunct speedster so if I change my mind and feel the need to build a speedster I will give you a call.
Like Doug I remember the days of RD in Michigan and spending about a week calling Bill every day but never getting hold of him but as I was in the area I went by there and a lady in the "complex" new how to get him and I was able to buy the parts I wanted but it was a nightmare dealing with him. We should all be very thankful to Mike for taking the risk and enabling such a reliable source of supply for parts.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#30 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Mike, David: +1.