Buyer beware Vin# 1280120

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
JoelRosenblatt
356 Fan

Buyer beware Vin# 1280120

#1 Post by JoelRosenblatt »

Forum members:
My name is Joel Rosenblatt, I am a small but passionate collector of vintage original cars, currently owning a 1959 Convertible D, 1959 super coupe, 1982 Targa SC, 1989 930, 1970 914-6. All are clean, original or expertly restored examples. Wanting to ad to my collection, I found VIN# 12820120 a rare 1968 912 in signal green from Dimitry at Palm Desert Auto in Palm Desert California. This car looked good in pictures, and my initial contact with the dealer was favorable and the dealer had good reviews.  Because I was impressed with Dimitry and the reviews, I neglected to get a PPI (I know..) He answered all my questions while assuring me over an over what great car this was. I signed the as is condition paperwork, and happily waited for the car to arrive¦..After receiving the car, nothing could have been further from the truth.

He claimed:

one paint chip on hood (false) mush worse paint then described. chips, bubbles and fisheyes

GOLD SPRAY PAINTED HOOD AND DOOR LATCHES to look new

SILVER SPRAY PAINTED wheel hubs and generator to look new

claimed speedometer not connected but working (false)

claimed gas gauge working  (false)

claimed all lights work (false) (no high beams, no license plate lights, no brake lights)

Seats installed reversed

Wiring was a disaster!

oil temp sender not connected and NO WIRE

oil pressure sensor not hooked up and NO WIRE

the car came with NO GAS CAP

NO GAS TANK VENT TUBE (all gas splashed of car on the way to NY (fire hazard?!)

NO BRAKE FLUID IN RESERVOIR

GENERATOR WAS  DEAD but painted to look new

Freshly undercoated over rust under the back seats, who knows what else?

I blame myself for not getting a PPI, and I was lucky Dimitry accepted the car back after I complained...... but this dealer kept a substantial deposit from me and has the car listed again for far more then I paid. Buyer beware.this car merits a VERY CLOSE INSPECTION to make sure the repairs (if done) were carried out correctly. If not, I would be very careful about this car and dealer.  Feel free to contact me for more details and pictures…. I just don't want this to happen to anyone else. I am just doing what we all do in the Porsche, or any vintage car community, look out for each other.

Tim Berardelli
356 Fan

Re: Buyer beware Vin# 1280120

#2 Post by Tim Berardelli »

If you Google the VIN 12820120, you will be able to see this car at the Dealer's website. Please note no Lower Air Channels, AKA Flapper boxes, or heater boxes. This means that the car has no heat (Duh!) and the engine will run super hot! Also note no pictures of the rear suspension area or engine. Joel, you might want to talk to your Attorney, a strongly worded Demand Letter should get all your money back.

Tim Berardelli

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#3 Post by Adam Wright »

I would check the wheels too, looks like they might not be real FUCHS.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#4 Post by Larry Brooks »

Adam Wright wrote:I would check the wheels too, looks like they might not be real FUCHS.
You are correct Adam - they aren't even very convincing fakes.

Interesting car. Looks very nice at first look, but the closer you look the worse it gets. Surprised he has all of the pictures. Does make for a good game that is my version of "Where's Waldo". Simple really. Count all of the flaws and incorrect aspects. Have a Porsche friend do the same and compare notes.

Anyone care to play?:
http://www.palmdesertauto.com/vehicle/1 ... NAL-GREEN/

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jules Dielen »

that is a LOT of lipstick.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Tim Herman
356 Fan

#6 Post by Tim Herman »

Gorgeous 20 - Footer !
Easy to see how most any one could fall for that one.
Tim Herman #2197
www.carreramotorsport.com

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#7 Post by Bruce Smith »

Even if it were as nice as purported, $69.5K is way overpriced in today's market.
Bruce Smith

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#8 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Bruce Smith wrote:Even if it were as nice as purported, $69.5K is way overpriced in today's market.
I was a little nervous on a 65 C for $33,000 and jumped on a plane to check it out before paid.
Do a 2 day vacation in Palm Springs next time to avoid a headache.

Nanette Reid
356 Fan

#9 Post by Nanette Reid »

Larry Brooks wrote:
Adam Wright wrote:I would check the wheels too, looks like they might not be real FUCHS.
You are correct Adam - they aren't even very convincing fakes.

Interesting car. Looks very nice at first look, but the closer you look the worse it gets. Surprised he has all of the pictures. Does make for a good game that is my version of "Where's Waldo". Simple really. Count all of the flaws and incorrect aspects. Have a Porsche friend do the same and compare notes.

Anyone care to play?:
http://www.palmdesertauto.com/vehicle/1 ... NAL-GREEN/
This lower door looks horrid! Some *really* bad bondo work, rust or PS? (Or perhaps all 3 :shock: !)
20180227190900_298713598.jpg

Tim Berardelli
356 Fan

#10 Post by Tim Berardelli »

Also note painted door latch and body color behind the door cards-should be black.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#11 Post by Martin Benade »

That is probably just rubbing compound that didn't get wiped off. I hate to say it but a careful study of all the pictures by an expert could have prevented the whole situation. It is a nice car with a bunch of details that aren't so good, for too much money. The pictures represent it pretty accurately.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#12 Post by Phil Planck »

Where is the 356 content? This should be off topic or on the 912bbs.
Phil Planck

Dimitry Adlivankin
356 Fan

#13 Post by Dimitry Adlivankin »

Joel,

Let's be honest and say all the story NOT just your "good side".

First i'd like to say few words about my self .
I've done Road Racing ,Rally and off-road Racing for Subaru and Porsche in the last 14 years.
I have Bought and Sold over 3,700 cars (700-800) PORSCHE'S in the past 7 years .
I own 6 Porsche's in my collection and a few land cruisers, i'm a car enthusiasts just like you , cars is part of my life .
That’s what I do for living .

After Joel Agreed to the return Terms and shipped the car back to us , got his money back minus the restocking fee which he offered to pay to return the car.

7 Days later We get an Email Threat from Joel Rosenblatt Saying if he doesn’t get all his money back included the shipping the restocking fee and the $80 doc fee which he offered himself to pay in order to send the car back!
He would post this review .

The begging:
Joel first called in early March of 2018 about the 912 ,We spoke over the phone about 3-6 times per day about the car.
I recommended doing a pre-purchase inspection since he had many questions which is normal, I provided a few different shops in the area who specializes in Porsche’s .
After my recommendation with a 3rd party inspector and Phone numbers for local shops, He Declined a 3rd party inspection and wanted to proceed forward.
Joel said its ok ill have you take few videos and pic .

I Provided 3 videos clips of the car running and driving, total of 3 min long.
Over 40 detailed pic of the car besides the 80 pics we have on the website ,INCLUDED DETAILED PIC OF THE PAINT AND PAINT MEASUREMENTS !
(WITH PAINT METER MODEL: CEM DT-156)
Complete paint meter measurements provided IN HIGH RESOLUTION.

We discussed few options as you remember going trough the car and fixing non working items for asking price of $59,750.
You mention that you'd like to fix ALL NON WORKING items YOURSELF and get a Better deal possibleand buy it AS-IS.

On March 3rd You made an offer that was accepted ! part of the deal was you buying the car in AS-IS Condition . after you agreed to the terms which are on your paper work with your signature on it.! you Provided a credit card number for Non refundable Deposit to lock the deal .
AS-IS CONDITION WITHOUT US DOING ANYTHING TO IT. !. (your works !!)

Remember you received total of $9,750 of discount due to work needed to be done listed below :

1)Not Original wheels (replicas) you should be honest about it and tell you forum friends that we discussed about it .
2)Non of the gauges were working , only the tachometer.
(and i said probably needs to be connected or rebuild.)
Never claimed gauges were working .
3) Lights were working except turn signals and license plate and brake lights.
I did miss the high beams , sorry.
4) The car had gas cap on the car when it left the shop , not sure what happen and why it was missing , my problem i guess.
5)There was no gas vent tube on the car! I did send a pic to your phone of the gas tank and front trunk area also on my website you can clearly see on pic.
6)The car had brake fluid, we did check before the car left the shop.
7)Generator was charging just fine , probably the battery was dead when the truck driver left the key on 2nd position. (conman problem) .
8 The car had undercoating i did upload pics on my web and provided to you as well.

And many more items and flaws that i described im sure you know this is NOT a fully restored car. !

When you received the car i called 2 days later to have a follow up .
And i heard your voice, you were disappointed.
I said right away there is anything i can do to help.
You said i understand i bought the car AS-IS and there is nothing i can do about it ! i offered my help right away and offer the option to bring the car back.
After two days you agreed to the Return Terms on shipping the car back on your own expense and -$2,500 restocking fee , After receiving the car you were very thankful of me taking the car back.

We have nothings to hide !
Remember we did not have to take the car back !!
We did because my customer service is a number 1 priority !

Sincerely,

Dimitry

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#14 Post by John Lindstrom »

Dimitry. Anyone that turns over 100 Porsche’s per year is obviously the type of person that most everyone else here abhors. You are our worst nightmare. You cover things up. You paint over them. You’re turning a buck at others expense. Then when a buyer realizes what you did, they have to take the car completely apart and un-do everything that you did wrong. It gets expensive, fast. The rest of us spend decades working on our cars to get them right. And when we sell, we sell at a fair price. You should not post here and expect us to change our view of people like you.

M Penta
356 Fan

#15 Post by M Penta »

Well I don't feel that way at all Dimitry. You obviously have a lot of experience and love for these cars, and have every right to explain your (compelling) side of this story here. You did a lot more then most to make things right with a dissatisfied customer IMO, and it is not fair to be subject to such presumptuous stereotyping.