Makes noise when turning right !

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
JohnLiles
356 Fan

Makes noise when turning right !

#1 Post by JohnLiles »

The sort of noise that sounds like a low pitch version of an electric drill drilling into some metal !

My car has 356C running gear - disc brakes and 5J x15 wheels , grafted onto a '55 pre A , not sure about steering and suspension components . It does not get driven much in the UK winters as they put salt on the roads , but it was out yesterday for its first long drive ( 200 miles) since late Sep . about half the time it was on twisty country roads and after a while began to make that noise on the right hand turns , even with only a small deflection of the steering wheel .
Nothing on left hand turns. Nothing when running straight . Nothing on the gentler right hand turns of an expressway / motorway . Was doing reasonable speeds so would have been some loading resulting from the turning.

I will have to take it in to get repaired and was trying to anticipate what the problem might be , any thoughts ?
1957 'A' and 1955 'Continental Outlaw'

David Green
356 Fan

Re: Makes noise when turning right !

#2 Post by David Green »

It may be a tire rubbing on the fender due to one of the torsion bars stuck down. Try lifting up on the fender lip and see if the body pops up. Not sure about your setup but make sure you find and grease all the torsion tube fittings.
David

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

Also check to see if you have a wheel weight on the inside of the rim rubbing on something.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

C J Murray
356 Fan

#4 Post by C J Murray »

I would look at the wheel bearings first.

If it continues....3 left hand turns equals 1 right hand turn, no more noise. :P
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

James Learmonth
356 Fan

#5 Post by James Learmonth »

Check the routing of the flexible hoses to the brake calipers. If they aren't properly routed they will rub on the tire in a turn. Please don't ask me how I know.

Jim Learmonth
Houston, TX

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Check rear 36mm axle nuts, 1 could be loose.

JohnLiles
356 Fan

#7 Post by JohnLiles »

Thanks guys for the quick responses !
I suspect wheel bearing (s) .
Back in prehistory , about 1970 , I had a Super 90 that got a bent half shaft causing the rear wheel hub bearing on that side to fail , made similar noise......etched into long term memory !

Harold Singh
356 Fan
Tag: Cooling with air

#8 Post by Harold Singh »

C J Murray wrote:I would look at the wheel bearings first.

If it continues....3 left hand turns equals 1 right hand turn, no more noise. :P
Two wrongs don’t make a right but, three lefts do!

:D
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White

Mike Smith
356 Fan
Tag: Its Only for Fun

#9 Post by Mike Smith »

Have you sorted out the ride height yet ?
Mike Smith (Essex - UK)

JohnLiles
356 Fan

#10 Post by JohnLiles »

Mike Smith wrote:Have you sorted out the ride height yet ?
..Er , no Mike ! The kids wont let me do it . Have got the 356 International coming up next week so focussed on getting it running well for that .

Rob Green
356 Fan

#11 Post by Rob Green »

I agree with Martin on this one. I had a similar sound when turning right only. After looking at several possible causes, it turned out to be a loose rear axel nut. Even though they are castellated nuts and have cotter pins, if they are the slightest bit loose and have movement in the axle splines, they will create excess movement and become loose. I was surprised at this as they are installed with an amazing amount of torque! (if installed correctly) If they have not worked too loose they can be re-torqued.
Cheers,
Rob
64 356 C Coupe

Al Zim
356 Fan

#12 Post by Al Zim »

The first thing I would check to see is if the brass fitting that attaches to the brake caliper has moved. This fitting must be an angle fitting not a straight fitting for the brake hose to position properly. If not correct his is a dangerous situation to have. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#13 Post by Dick Weiss »

If the axle nut gets a little loose after it was previously torqued to 385/400 ft.lbs., you'll have worn splines on both axle &/or drum allowing a
slight rotation between the two under acceleration and braking loads and will wear the drum's hub face (& shim) even w/the cotter pin in place.

JohnLiles
356 Fan

#14 Post by JohnLiles »

Well , I took the car in to Jaz Porsche here in sunny UK , run by Steve Winter . Steve has a 356SC and also a pre A that he is restoring , so he understands how these cars work.

Initial diagnosis was front LH wheel , noise disappears when brakes applied while making turn . On examination the pads were rubbing plus a bit of play on that bearing and a small bit of play on kingpin .

That was sorted out quickly , however test drive showed the noise still present on RH turns !

Further test drive with mechanic in passenger seat confirmed rear LH wheel was the source , and on examination the bearing and seal ring had gone , so also had transmission oil on the parking bake ( handbrake ) shoes.

So replaced both rear wheel bearings and seals plus one set of handbrake shoes . While chequebook was out also replaced the tyres , as discussed on a separate thread on this forum the date codes were pre year 2000 !
So instead of Michelin XWX 165/15 tyres all round with minimal grip , now have Pirelli Cinturato CA67s in same size and higher speed rating . These still look period but are 60% of the cost of the Michelins.

Car now fit for the ( European ) 356 International tomorrow in UK 8)

C J Murray
356 Fan

#15 Post by C J Murray »

Result! :D
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M