Carrera 8K Tach - Correct Face?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

Carrera 8K Tach - Correct Face?

#1 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Looking for some help from the experts here. I have a '64 C coupe and was on my way to Werks Reunion from Richmond when the tachometer started flaking out on me. Needle started bouncing wildly and the gauge itself started making a noise. Previously the needle was rock steady and very smooth. I do not believe it is the tach cable that is the problem but the gauge itself.

I've packed the gauge up and just sent it today to North Hollywood Speedometer for inspection and repair. I believe this tach was restored/rebuilt by Stoddard per the previous owner. It has an 8K face and calibration. I think he wanted a sporty tach to go with the built motor. I really like the 8K tach and want to keep it.

The thing that has always bugged me is the RPM number. It's missing a zero! This can't be right, can it? I instructed NHS to fix it to be x1000 with the single digit values but started to second guess it.

Pics of my tach:

I think I've seen pictures of faces just like mine billed as correct but I'm dubious. Thanks in advance!

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

Re: Carrera 8K Tach - Correct Face?

#2 Post by Mark Sabbann »

Dr. Brett Johnson's Authenticity guide indicates that the tachometer readings for a 2000GS 356B are as yours shows, 8000 highest calibration, 6200-7000 red band and 2200-6200 green band. The missing zero is not at the x100 location but rather at each number, 1-8. They should read 10 - 80 to go along with the x100 and to make sense for actual rpms. The lack of zeros may be because it is an aftermarket face if the story of a rebuild is true. The SC tach in the red 356 I have for sale is here and shows zeroes at each number: https://www.flickr.com/photos/43831794@ ... 526258220/
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan

#3 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Thanks, Mark!

We're there any 8k tachometers for the 356 that had single digit increments? I am sure I have seen pics of dials similar to mine billed as Carrera tachs.

Is the tach you described also appropriate for the 1964 model year Careers 2s? If so I'll adjust my instructions to NHS.

James Bensko
356 Fan

#4 Post by James Bensko »

Hey Sean--I'm no expert. But if you look at this YouTube video of Jay Leno's 1963 356 Carrera 2 with John Willhoit, at about the 14 minute mark where they're showing the car's gauges, you'll see the tach face is single digits, just like yours.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qyluq2j27g

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan

#5 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Thanks, James! Love that video. Checked it out and you're right - Jay's car has the same tach but with 1000 not 100 and single digits.

I'm going to have to assume that the well-respected restorer John Willhoit knew what he was doing!

-S

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

#6 Post by Greg Scallon »

Sean,
Good detective work to you and everyone who helped. FYI: I just checked out the video, and noticed that the red and green warning lights in Jay's gauge are swapped compared to yours. Something to consider if you're going to re-do your gauge anyway. (I have no idea what's correct)

Regards,
-Greg
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus 

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#7 Post by Mark Sabbann »

Sean M Rooks wrote:Is the tach you described also appropriate for the 1964 model year Careers 2s?
Johnson's book only shows the 356B Carerra tach markings, - nothing for the '64 year.
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

Peter Bartelli
356 Fan
Tag: Captain

#8 Post by Peter Bartelli »

Here's a pic of the tach in my '63 C2. There are plenty of not so subtle differences in the face markings. Note the x1000 and the 7 green lines (vs yours with 6) and the general orientation of the numbers. IMHO you have a NHS replacement face on your tach.
Attachments
20180321_170320_resized.jpg

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan

#9 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Thanks Peter! I got to see your car again at Werks (I think you were at Helen last year too) but never got a closeup of your tach.

I've dug in to do some more research. I pulled out my wrinkly copy of Brett's book and also referenced the latest charts from DerWhite. The Restorer's Guide to Authenticity makes no mention of 356C Carrera 2s at all as Mark indicated. DerWhite's charts do include ranges for the 356C C2s:

Per this, the 64 Carreras with mechanical tachs had a total range of 800-8000 with the red range 6-7500. The only green band reference I can find is Brett's at 2200-6200. My bands are correct but my increments are wrong by any measure it seems, as mine starts at 0 with compressed increments from 0-1000. And good eyeball Peter on the # of band lines and number orientation.

On to the number of digits - this seems like it would be an interesting exercise for someone. All I can say is that I've found both versions. Jay's car has singles, but his is a '63, same as Peter's. I did find a few '64s for sale as reference:

'64 at RM, 2-digit: https://www.rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/ ... ter/180609
'64 at Mecum, 2-digit: https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0814-19132 ... a-2-coupe/
'64 at Road Scholars: 1-digit: http://roadscholars.com/inventory/1964-carrera-ii/

One interesting note - all the double-digit tachs have the indicator lights located at the bottom on either side of the turn signal indicator, while the single-digits have the indicator lights in the center top of the dial. My two top indicator lights are for the parking light indicator and the high beam. One is green and the other is blue.

I think I'm happy with the single digits - I like it's hinting at the coming 911-ness. For the increments and band lines - I'm fine with them being a little off, actually, if it helps in preventing someone someday passing this off as a real Carrera tach.

Sounds like single digits, 1000xRPM is the winner!

Thanks everyone!

James Bensko
356 Fan

#10 Post by James Bensko »

Not to complicate things, but (see photo)...7 rings on this one like Peter's. And x100 w/single digit increments. Do you have a VDO part/? at the very top of your gauge (usually not easy to see unless tilted). Unless the face is counterfeit, I believe all VDO gauge faces have an identifying number. VDO may have several versions in their inventory, for all I know. Now, as far as the RPM x100/x1000 graphics go, I believe those are silkscreened on to the face--they can be removed and re-applied by restorers, and it introduces an opportunity for error if the restorer does not notice the 1 or 2 digit increment numbers. Pure speculation on my part.
Attachments
IMG_3554.jpg

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan

#11 Post by Sean M Rooks »

I thought I'd close the door on this thread by thanking you all for your help and posting up a photo of the final product I got back from NHS:

Clearly not exactly as original tachs posted above. I didn't have them change the scale to match the real deal and the x1000 isn't perfectly spaced or sized to be justified left and right with the UPM/RPM marks as it should be.

But that's OK for me. It's not an original tach and now no one will be able to pass it off thanks to our handy reference discussion here. And I can finally stop being annoyed by the incorrect mathmatics. :)