Registering as a "Historic Vehicle"

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Greg Spreeman
356 Fan

#1 Post by Greg Spreeman »

Here in NJ we can pay $44 to register as a "historic vehicle" and the inspection is waived. How do you folks register your cars? Any trade offs registering as a historic car? Any ramifications on the insurance side?

Thanks all,
Greg Spreeman
1965 356SC Coupe
1964 356C Coupe
2001 996 Cabriolet

Gone but not forgotten:
1970 914
1965 356C Sunroof Coupe
1989 911 Carerra

Stephen Dempsey
356 Fan

#2 Post by Stephen Dempsey »

Greg - in Missouri we can also register as a historic vehicle. The safety inspection is then waved. You are supposed to not drive the car more than 1,000 miles per year for personal use, but can drive it to "events" and for "service". Others from MO may respond as well to check me on this.

The cost of my insurance dropped significantly.

Steve
64C #127596
Reg #17193

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#3 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Greg, I'm also in NJ. I have standard registration and plates and have since I've owned the car. You can still get collector car insurance with the standard registration if that's an issue for you, so you don't have to worry about that either way. But if you get the QQ plates (historic) you will only be able to insure it with the collector insurance...not for a daily driver if that's your intent (at least that's what most DMV employees told me). With the QQ plates you just need a one time safety inspection and as long as your car's in decent shape it should have no problem passing that. You will get different answers about the details of how it all works from the DMV depending on who you talk to. Most DMV employees have told me that you can not use the car for anything other than show and maintenance driving. Supposedly you can't drive the car during rush hour, to/from work, etc. and you will get pulled over if the police see a QQ plate on the road in rush hour traffic...but I doubt that. Even if it is a law, I've never heard of anyone getting ticketed for it and I know lots of NJ cars with QQ plates that are driven at any time of the day. I think the mileage limit in NJ is 1,500 but I could be wrong. There is also collector registration (not historic) which I think works like the QQ registration but with standard plates (not QQ) but most of the DMV guys knew little about it and just handed me a pamphlet and said go away.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Glenn Ring
356 Fan
Tag: On theSamba.com

#4 Post by Glenn Ring »

I have "collectors" insurance which allows me a wide range of uses including please driving. The only restrictions are 6000 miles a year, must be garages, not used for work and must be an "additional" car meaning 3rd car with 2 drivers in the household.

They issue me a FS-20 (insurance card) with the term HISTORICAL on it. That allows me to register the car as Historic and also to use YOM (Year of Manufacture) plates. The plates I have on my Vw are the original one that came on the car when I purchased new in March 1974.

My cost is $155 per year.

I'm in New York State.
Glenn Ring

Restored Bosch Distributors

Nick Daffern
356 Fan

Historic Vehicle Plates

#5 Post by Nick Daffern »

Here in the state of Washington we have 3 options for registering historic cars. The first is to register the car yearly which allows unrestricted use of the vehicle and costs whatever the current registration fee is. The second is to re title the car as a historic vehicle and pay a one time $55 fee which is good for as long as you own the car. You are issued a plate that says "historic vehicle" and the car is only supposed to be used for club events or display. The third way is to find a YOM plate, take it to the Department of Licensing to make sure no one else is using that number sequence, and have the car re titled for that plate. A one time fee of $55 is charged and is good for as long as you own the vehicle. The same restrictions apply as to the "historic" plates.

Some of the companies that insure collector cars require you to have the car registered as a "historic" vehicle because of the restrictions that are established on the use of the car.

Mark Todorovich
356 Fan
Tag: Drive em

#6 Post by Mark Todorovich »

Steve, Greg,
In Missouri we also can do year of manufacture plates., which are also
considered a historic vehicle. Besides the restrictions Steve talks of
you are supposed to have a log of miles driven in the car. Very lightly
and sporadically enforced , but a potential issue. Reid Vann here in St.
Louis runs a counterfeit modern plate with 63 Carrera as the number on
his 4 cam . He says if he got a ticket the picture would be worth the
fine.

-----Original Message-----

Greg - in Missouri we can also register as a historic vehicle. The
safety inspection is then waved. You are supposed to not drive the car
more than 1,000 miles per year for personal use, but can drive it to
"events" and for "service". Others from MO may respond as well to check
me on this.

The cost of my insurance dropped significantly.

Steve
64C #127596
Reg #17193

-------------------- m2f --------------------

To contact an administrator admin@356registry.com To unsubscribe go to
http://www.356registry.com/forum/m2f_usercp.php
Read this topic online here:
http://356registry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7881#7881

-------------------- m2f --------------------

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
Mark Todorovich 4243
52 Coupe
56 Speedster project now underway
63 Cab?

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

Re: Registering as a "Historic Vehicle"

#7 Post by Dave Wildrick »

Greg Spreeman wrote:Here in NJ we can pay $44 to register as a "historic vehicle" and the inspection is waived. How do you folks register your cars? Any trade offs registering as a historic car? Any ramifications on the insurance side?
In Texas, if you register the car as an antique, you can use either current year plates from the Dept. of Transportation (D.O.T.) or you can take year of manufacture plates for approval to the D.O.T. and use those. You can also buy plates from the D.O.T. that say “antique vehicle” on them and use those.
The cost for a 5-year registration as an antique (with no inspection required) is about $50. All of the above plate types require placing a sticker on them showing expiration date.

You can only use the vehicle for exhibitions, club activities, parades, or other functions of public interest, but you can drive it for routine maintenance. I use inexpensive antique car insurance from J. C. Taylor on both my C coupes.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

S.J. Szabo

#8 Post by S.J. Szabo »

The general rule of thumb is that all "special" (historic/antique/collector/YOM/etc) plates are appropriate for garage/trailer queens only with serious restrictions on use (basically, to and from the trailer... No trips to the 7-11 or Sunday drives down some leafy two-lane). Most States (and all insurance companies) have no sense of humor about this and can make life miserable for the passive-aggressive miscreant.

Drivers are plated in the usual way, tho most states will exempt 25+ yr. old cars from inspection (laws may vary, see your DMV for details).

Insurance is the usual crapshoot whichever way you go, but it is wise to have a "stated value" rider to protect against a lowball settlement.

Also worth mentioning is that most insurance companies are growing increasingly hostle toward old cars, forcing many who actually drive their cars to choose between friendlier (and more expensive) botique insurers and their persickity but heavily discounted (multi-car, over age X, house&car, etc.) family policys.

It all depends on how far one is willing to go to avoid boredom and the increasingly omnipitant "Nanny on Board" of Moderne cars & trucks.

Conrad Carter
356 Fan
Tag: Let's be careful out there!

#9 Post by Conrad Carter »

Big advantage in NC is reduction in property tax for the car!
Conrad

Erik Thomas
356 Fan

#10 Post by Erik Thomas »

Rhode Island has an "antique" plate that I have on most of my old cars. This costs 40 dollars a year, and no inspection is required. Only supposed to be driven to and from events, and for recreational purposes, not as a daily driver. In practice, there is very little enforcement of this. I have classic car insurance, limited to 2500 miles per year, stated value coverage. Cars must be garaged and must report odometer reading each year on renewal form. Once a vehicle is over 25 years of age, regardless of plate type, the car is not required to pass the emissions test. If you want an inspection sticker, you pay 50 dollars and they "fail" the test, but give you the sticker. This bit off baffonery with the sticker allows general use of an antique car.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#11 Post by Jules Dielen »

how is that for digging up old threads, almost a decade since last post :)
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.