GENTLEMEN, START YOUR ENGINES!

Vendor announcements of new 356 products, product changes, recalls, requests for product feedback, or changes to their business.
Ron LaDow
356 Fan

GENTLEMEN, START YOUR ENGINES!

#1 Post by Ron LaDow »

New Precision Matters Auto Prime
Modern gas is far superior to what we had when our cars were new, but between the ethanol and the formulation for closed F-I systems, it is also extremely volatile and it leaves our carbs high and dry in a very short time. Until now that has meant a lot of cranking or some modifications to the car.
We are very proud to introduce our new Auto Prime product, designed to quickly and automatically prime your dry carburettors: Step on the gas, hold it for several seconds, and start your engine. Plus, our design automatically refills while you drive without starving the carbs. All with zero modifications to any metal part of the car.
Instuctions 001.JPG
Yes, it works. As with most of our products, it’s been tested on my personal car. On (dry) installation of a prototype, it was filled after approximately 3 miles of city driving. After two weeks of sitting (and drying), I lifted the deck lid, held the carb levers at full throttle, and heard the satisfying ‘gurgle’ of fuel going down and air going up. The car started instantly with the standard half-open throttle and a bit of pumping to keep the cold engine from quitting at idle. It got less than a mile or so to refill, but seems to have done so. Since then, I’ve ignored it and while it has yet to sit another two weeks, it’s had one instance of a week to dry out; same result.
The total capacity of the canister and the hoses approximates 30cc; far more than enough to start a car in any reasonable state of tune. I don’t know how long it will stay full; the two-week-try seemed to be full, and the molecules attempting to escape to the atmosphere are going to have to pass up the fuel line, through the float valve and into the float bowls to find their way out. Let’s just say it’ll take a while.
It installs with hoses/clamps, and the nylon-ties you see fastening the actuating ‘Blade’ to the forward throttle lever; no holes to drill, no electrical parts/mounting/wiring, no outboard motor parts in your engine bay.
And, except for the same hoses you trust every time you start your car, it is all metal; fool-proof and safe. Oh, and any change in the force required to push the throttle remains theoretical and undetectable.
We are proud to introduce the Auto Prime and will have a display unit at the Lit Meet for your examination. Plus we’re offering a limited number of pre-orders available at an introductory price. Please stop by the Precision Matters table and take a look.
(edit; note to self: Proof read before posting)
Last edited by Ron LaDow on Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: GENTLEMEN, START YOUR ENGINES!

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

Does the canister move up every time you step on the gas?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ron LaDow »

Martin, yes it does and the design addresses that to keep fuel in the canister for use on starting.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Benade »

That is simple and clever.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#5 Post by Adam Wright »

To quote something I've seen on the internet,
"Shut up and take my money!"
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#6 Post by C J Murray »

Hi Ron, nice product but where did you get that fantastic cheesehead screw? Hope you sell many at the lit show.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

DonCichocki
356 Fan

#7 Post by DonCichocki »

Ron,
Is there one canister on each side for each carb?

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#8 Post by Ron LaDow »

DonCichocki wrote:Ron,
Is there one canister on each side for each carb?
Don, this was one of those design developments where it got simpler as it progressed.
It started with a fairly complicated linkage to empty two canisters and probably would have never sold. But as the sketches went through the "Revs", it became obvious that was not necessary.
Some of the "Rube Goldberg" sketches from last Fall are funny, looking back on them.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#9 Post by Ron LaDow »

Adam Wright wrote:To quote something I've seen on the internet,
"Shut up and take my money!"
Still waiting on the final number from at least one supplier. I'll have pricing on it this coming week.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Lars Hvidsteen
356 Fan

#10 Post by Lars Hvidsteen »

nice product , would like to have it, but I have one possible concern

How much will the rubber hose travel for zero to top? i think perhaps 20mm x multiple throttle actions on a long trip / develop
rubber fatique ?

rg.Lars
Porsche 356 B T6 1962/7 Slategrey/Coralred
Porsche 911 1966 Bahamayellow/Black pipita

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#11 Post by Ron LaDow »

Lars Hvidsteen wrote:nice product , would like to have it, but I have one possible concern
How much will the rubber hose travel for zero to top? i think perhaps 20mm x multiple throttle actions on a long trip / develop
rubber fatique ?
rg.Lars
Lars, this got quite a bit of thought.
You can look high and low for any engineering calcs for cycles-to-failure, and since hydraulic lines (think brake lines) are commonly cycled, that seemed to indicate it is not a major issue.
So I checked various sources for 'good design practice': keep the pressure low, generous bend radius, small cycle excursion, no rubbing.
And I think we're in good shape; pressure is <1/20th of rating, 12" - 14" bend radius (3" on the spool), max excursion of <20*, with a typical excursion of probably <10*, good clearance all around.
Horse-back guess; it'll need replacement about the time the engine needs a rebuild.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#12 Post by Ron LaDow »

Lars,
The web page is up now; see here for the flex limits in use:
http://www.precisionmatters.biz/auto-pr ... er-kit.php
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#13 Post by Eric McKinley »

Has anyone got any feedback on the use of Ron's auto prime kit.

I would be interested to hear comments from registry members who have installed one on their engine.

Many Thanks in advance.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#14 Post by Ron LaDow »

Eric,
I wanna hear from them too, especially if they aren't working as advertised. There are some 30 to 40 kits in the field now, and no one has griped.
For what it's worth, my prototype (30cc) can gives me a month's worth of 'no pumping'.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#15 Post by Eric McKinley »

Ron,

As you know I have a number of your products on my car and have been happy with them.

I am sure the auto prime kit will be no different.

It would be good though to hear from the registry members who have installed them and can give real time feedback.