It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:21 pm 
356 Fan

Hi Y'all, I'm restoring a 1964 356C and need some advice on exhaust systems. What's with the Bursch system? What others are recommended? I'm not restoring the car to be a show car, but rather a real driver! I'm also not going outlaw.

Thanks! Lisa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:18 pm 
356 Fan

Bursch is much louder than stock. Testing has shown that stock is best for normal HP/Torque figures. Downside is still cost and until recently quality of fit. I have 2 65 C's one with stock and one with Bursch. If I were to replace either now I would seriously consider the GDP exhaust provided I didn't have steep driveway or lots of speed bumps to contend with. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35449&hilit=muffler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:28 pm 
356 Fan

Rather than the GDP stainless muffler, which hangs too low, I would opt for the M&K stainless muffler from Zim's, which is a stainless clone of the original Liestritz muffler. They are not cheap ($995), but neither is the GDP, and they fit.

I have the M&K on each of my C coupes now, after bad experiences struggling to make the Dansk version of the "stock" muffler work without leaking somewhere.

64C coupe
65C coupe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:38 pm 
356 Fan

I didn't learn anything watching Dave Wildrick and his muffler dance. I bought two Dansk mufflers from different sources and fought both of them to a standstill. Neither of them would fit. Fortunately both merchants accepted the returns. The third Dansk muffler I was able to force fit to my engine. What a relief. After about 1000 miles the gasket on the rear left exhaust port blew out. The flange on the muffler pipe wasn't on the same plane as the exhaust port on the head. The solution for me was contacting Eisenmann in Germany. They do not stock mufflers for Porsche 356 cars but they will build one for you if you like. About 2 months later and $1400 USD delivered to my door a perfect replica of a stock muffler with ceramic coating complete with "S" pipes and clamps. I was able to install it in about 30 minutes. Talk about a perfect fit. Actually the welder in Germany called back to the states to confirm the engine size and spacing between left and right cylinders.
The price is high but the satisfaction of a perfect fitting quality product seems worth it. I do have a low mileage Dansk muffler that almost fits for sale, cheap.

Jim Learmonth
Houston, TX
65C coupe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:07 am 
356 Fan

Lisa Antonino wrote:
Hi Y'all, I'm restoring a 1964 356C and need some advice on exhaust systems. What's with the Bursch system? What others are recommended? I'm not restoring the car to be a show car, but rather a real driver! I'm also not going outlaw.Thanks! Lisa

Would recommend an original muffler replacement for the un-mistaken unique original 356 exhaust sound. The newer better fitting Dansk muffler replacement would be an option close to the original muffler.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:37 am 
356 Fan

Agree with Wil. I have the Dansk and found for proper fit you need the Dansk heat exchanger sections also. Sound is close to Porsche OEM, but if your budget can handle the OEM I would go with that.

Chuck

1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:16 pm 
356 Fan

Wil Mittelbach wrote:
Lisa Antonino wrote:
Hi Y'all, I'm restoring a 1964 356C and need some advice on exhaust systems. What's with the Bursch system? What others are recommended? I'm not restoring the car to be a show car, but rather a real driver! I'm also not going outlaw.Thanks! Lisa

The newer better fitting Dansk muffler replacement would be an option close to the original muffler.

Dansk has a newer better fitting muffler???

64C coupe
65C coupe