Aluminum 550 Spyder build

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Message
Author
User avatar
Adam Wright
356 Fan
Posts: 8410
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:00 am
Tag: KTF

Re: Aluminum 550 Spyder build

#31 Post by Adam Wright » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:01 am

Charles H Jacobus wrote:What engine are you planning for it, Adam?

ChuckJ
Still planning on that. Right now I have a rolled over C Coupe that I plan to skin and use the chassis. Then I'm going to chop a 914 at the fire wall and use the engine/gearbox and rear suspension.
I always need stories for my Barn Find column in the magazine, if you have a good story to share, please let me know.

Dan Epperly
356 Fan
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:35 pm

Re: Aluminum 550 Spyder build

#32 Post by Dan Epperly » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:50 pm

Adam Wright wrote:
Charles H Jacobus wrote:What engine are you planning for it, Adam?

ChuckJ
Still planning on that. Right now I have a rolled over C Coupe that I plan to skin and use the chassis. Then I'm going to chop a 914 at the fire wall and use the engine/gearbox and rear suspension.
Curious why you are going that route instead of using a 356 drivetrain.

User avatar
Adam Wright
356 Fan
Posts: 8410
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:00 am
Tag: KTF

Re: Aluminum 550 Spyder build

#33 Post by Adam Wright » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:16 pm

Dan Epperly wrote:
Adam Wright wrote:
Charles H Jacobus wrote:What engine are you planning for it, Adam?

ChuckJ
Still planning on that. Right now I have a rolled over C Coupe that I plan to skin and use the chassis. Then I'm going to chop a 914 at the fire wall and use the engine/gearbox and rear suspension.
Curious why you are going that route instead of using a 356 drivetrain.
In order to fit under the bodywork it has to be transverse mounted, like the 550 was, as is the 914. Not to mention I will have the benefit of a 901 gearbox and a much more powerful 914 motor, which I can make into a monster later. If there is anything doing autocross has taught me, it's that the extra power the 914 has makes autocross a lot funner, than in the 356.
Attachments
0.jpg
914curve.jpeg
914curve.jpeg (26.22 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
I always need stories for my Barn Find column in the magazine, if you have a good story to share, please let me know.

User avatar
Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan
Posts: 490
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 5:02 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Aluminum 550 Spyder build

#34 Post by Charles H Jacobus » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:43 pm

This brings me back to when I was 12 years old and built a 2 speed go-cart with an aluminum body. The chassis was fun to design and build, but the satisfaction of shaping the body far surpassed that, so I really appreciate and am envious of what you are doing. When you get this project done I may have to come visit and experience a real builder's tools, expertise and results.

ChuckJ
Attachments
go kart3.jpg
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

User avatar
Adam Wright
356 Fan
Posts: 8410
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:00 am
Tag: KTF

Re: Aluminum 550 Spyder build

#35 Post by Adam Wright » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:56 pm

Charles H Jacobus wrote:This brings me back to when I was 12 years old and built a 2 speed go-cart with an aluminum body. The chassis was fun to design and build, but the satisfaction of shaping the body far surpassed that, so I really appreciate and am envious of what you are doing. When you get this project done I may have to come visit and experience a real builder's tools, expertise and results.

ChuckJ
If you want the real deal experience, Wray does classes once a month, it's a great 4 days, you get to shape metal and learn the tools, while being surrounded with Jags and Ferrari's, it's pretty cool.

http://www.proshaper.com/coachbuilding-classes/
I always need stories for my Barn Find column in the magazine, if you have a good story to share, please let me know.

Jon Bunin
356 Fan
Posts: 1381
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:06 pm
Location: Vista, CA

Re: Aluminum 550 Spyder build

#36 Post by Jon Bunin » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:41 pm

Adam Wright wrote:
Dan Epperly wrote:
Adam Wright wrote:... Then I'm going to chop a 914 at the fire wall and use the engine/gearbox and rear suspension.
Curious why you are going that route instead of using a 356 drivetrain.
In order to fit under the bodywork it has to be transverse mounted, like the 550 was, as is the 914. Not to mention...
Adam, the 550 and 914 Porsches did not have transverse mounted engines or transmissions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transverse_engine

Here is a transverse mounted engine in a Lamborghini Miura chassis.
Attachments
epcp_0901_01_z+lamborghini_miura+turin_salon_chassis[1].jpg
Jon Bunin

User avatar
Adam Wright
356 Fan
Posts: 8410
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:00 am
Tag: KTF

Re: Aluminum 550 Spyder build

#37 Post by Adam Wright » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:50 pm

Jon Bunin wrote:
Adam Wright wrote:
Dan Epperly wrote:
Adam Wright wrote:... Then I'm going to chop a 914 at the fire wall and use the engine/gearbox and rear suspension.
Curious why you are going that route instead of using a 356 drivetrain.
In order to fit under the bodywork it has to be transverse mounted, like the 550 was, as is the 914. Not to mention...
Adam, the 550 and 914 Porsches did not have transverse mounted engines or transmissions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transverse_engine

Here is a transverse mounted engine in a Lamborghini Miura chassis.
Okay, it has to be reverse mounted to how it is normally in a 356. You get the idea, a rear mounted gearbox.
I always need stories for my Barn Find column in the magazine, if you have a good story to share, please let me know.

User avatar
Adam Wright
356 Fan
Posts: 8410
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:00 am
Tag: KTF

Re: Aluminum 550 Spyder build

#38 Post by Adam Wright » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:36 pm

The sheet metal for the rear is done, at least the outer skin. I will have the tail on display at the open house. Very exciting.
Attachments
47.JPG
48.JPG
I always need stories for my Barn Find column in the magazine, if you have a good story to share, please let me know.

User avatar
Emil Wojcik
356 Fan
Posts: 1315
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Metuchen, NJ

Re: Aluminum 550 Spyder build

#39 Post by Emil Wojcik » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:40 pm

Looks great. I hope you don't plan on painting it when it's done. Would be a shame to hide that hand-worked surface.
Emil Wojcik
'64C Euro coupe

User avatar
Adam Wright
356 Fan
Posts: 8410
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:00 am
Tag: KTF

Re: Aluminum 550 Spyder build

#40 Post by Adam Wright » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:42 pm

Emil Wojcik wrote:Looks great. I hope you don't plan on painting it when it's done. Would be a shame to hide that hand-worked surface.
I think I'm going to paint the outside and leave the inner in bare metal.
I always need stories for my Barn Find column in the magazine, if you have a good story to share, please let me know.

User avatar
Emil Wojcik
356 Fan
Posts: 1315
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Metuchen, NJ

Re: Aluminum 550 Spyder build

#41 Post by Emil Wojcik » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:15 pm

Adam Wright wrote:
Emil Wojcik wrote:Looks great. I hope you don't plan on painting it when it's done. Would be a shame to hide that hand-worked surface.
I think I'm going to paint the outside and leave the inner in bare metal.
I guess that's a good compromise and it is your car after all. I'm sure it will look great painted too.
Emil Wojcik
'64C Euro coupe

User avatar
Adam Wright
356 Fan
Posts: 8410
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:00 am
Tag: KTF

Re: Aluminum 550 Spyder build

#42 Post by Adam Wright » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:55 pm

Cool crate arrived today bearing the remains of a long destroyed 550 Spyder, it's amazing how light the pieces are! It's like X-mass morning at Unobtanium today!
Attachments
IMG_9468.JPG
IMG_9471.JPG
11.jpg
IMG_9470.JPG
1.jpg
I always need stories for my Barn Find column in the magazine, if you have a good story to share, please let me know.

M Penta
356 Fan
Posts: 692
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 10:07 pm
Location: VT

Re: Aluminum 550 Spyder build

#43 Post by M Penta » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:36 am

Looks like this will be another amazing (and ambitious) project Adam. Nice parts delivery! It will look great painted or bare, but sure love the look of hand worked bare aluminum, such as the great 550 on last months magazine cover.

How do you find the time? I need to get my priorities straight...

User avatar
Adam Wright
356 Fan
Posts: 8410
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:00 am
Tag: KTF

Re: Aluminum 550 Spyder build

#44 Post by Adam Wright » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:51 am

M Penta wrote:Looks like this will be another amazing (and ambitious) project Adam. Nice parts delivery!

How do you find the time? I need to get my priorities straight...
Thursday is the only day I'm at the shop by myself, so I try and devote at least part of that day to working on my own stuff, I don't always succeed, but I try.

The 550 stuff is crazy, you can pick up the doors with one finger.
I always need stories for my Barn Find column in the magazine, if you have a good story to share, please let me know.

M Penta
356 Fan
Posts: 692
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 10:07 pm
Location: VT

Re: Aluminum 550 Spyder build

#45 Post by M Penta » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:02 am

Nice find on that stuff, plenty of 550 DNA!

Post Reply