Upholstery progress

For Pre A discussions and questions
Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

Upholstery progress

#1 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hello all, The window frames I was having trouble identifying the bolts for, see post of Jan 12th, have been put on the back burner as a retired upholsterer, who lives close to me, said he would help. When I say help I mean do the job, the only thing I was useful for was to stir the glue!! There is not a snowball's chance in hell I would have been able to do the headliner and, if it was possible, I'm even more in awe of Steve Harrison's work.

As much as we tried to use the original rear 1/4 Vinyl panels it just wasn't possible, too much shrinkage and too brittle. Even with a stretching frame, warmth and massage oils, not on me I hasten to add, it just wouldn't work. But hey ho we tried and at least we have preserved the originals for reference and the next custodian. As many have said before me, if you can't do it and it's more than likely one will totally screw it up get someone who can. He also did the glove box liner that I had spent many an hour trying to get right with no creases and it was done in about 30 minutes, he simply had the feel of how much the original material could be handled and how long the glue can be worked with.

We initially didn't like the idea of the original combination of Azure Blue paint, grey carpets & vinyl and tan headliner and tried looking at the original headliner under all sorts of conditions and spectrums to see if we could call it grey to no avail. But I must say it works, especially with the soft texture of the headliner material and Sandi, who is the colour co-ordinater in all things in our house, likes it.

Speaking of Headliner Doug Naef was looking for a piece of original material, my remains are in a bit of a state but if you still need it I might be a able to help if you'd like to contact me.

The picture isn't great but I hope it gives some idea, onwards and upwards.

V
Attachments
KCT INTERIOR (2).JPG
V. Gillespie

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

Re: Upholstery progress

#2 Post by James Davies »

Wow Vincent! You're moving quickly. Looking good!

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#3 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Thanks James, I was incredibly lucky to have the upholsterer living so close and agree to do the job. In the 70's and 80's he was the go to guy for 356 upholstery and over the years has made 16 cabrio tops plus many other restorations. He told me about a police car that he had just finished and the engine guy poured too much petrol in the carbs to help the initial start up and set it on fire!! the owner was understandably distraught and sold it on soon after.

He started as an apprentice in the 60's and has covered an amazing string of projects covering all sorts of cars, boats, aircraft, and anything else you can upholster, a true craftsman.

Any idea about the bolts for the window frames?

V
V. Gillespie

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#4 Post by James Davies »

Not sure about bolts. Let me get back to you.

As for the beige headliner, are you sure it is beige? The cotton products Porsche used on these interiors - grey cord, grey headliner - as a matter of course turned beige over time. Sun, elements, etc. The grey headliner on my car is beige in many parts, but if you can find the protected bit that is stitched to the cardboard insert at the front, you should find the original color, as it is folded over and pressed between the board and the inner window frame. Grey interior with beige headliner just wouldn't look right to my eyes, and I doubt Reutter did it this way. I could be wrong.

Have you got a Reutter Certificate for your car listing its interior and exterior options - paint and upholstery?

Carpet often turns beige as well over time. Most of my original dark blue carpet was brown/beige due to exposure.

Btw, your Azure blue looks a little bright compared to originals I've seen. Lighting perhaps?

James

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#5 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hello James and thanks,

We don't have the Reutter certificate but we have the Kardex and correspondence with former owners. Yep we're sure on the colour of the headliner and the bit by the cardboard is exactly what we used to check and confirm it. Also we were chatting with a guy who worked at AFN, who were the main Porsche importers here, from the mid 60's for most of his career and he said that he wasn't surprised at all. As far as the carpet is concerned it hadn't really changed much, it was just filthy and it was easy to tell it was grey even before I gave it as good a clean as I could without it all ending up as a pile of shreds.

As far as the paint is concerned there were 3 areas on the car where we were 99.9% sure that the paint was original, under/behind the dash, but that's only really overspray, behind a skim of filler on one torsion bar cover and on the glove box latch under a layer of red paint. The first 2 were used to scan and match the paint and, although the finish on the latch is dull due to the process of removing the red paint, to my eyes the match is spot on. It may well be more shiney than when it left the factory or it could be the lights, but new paint formulations no doubt look better than 1950's paint, unless you use matting agents. Also I have no idea when KCT rolled out in 1955 how dull or shiney the finish was. I think I can count on the fingers of one hand the cars I have seen with original paint and they all have looked dull to me, I put that down to their age and experiences, I'm a bit duller than when I started out as well:-)

V
V. Gillespie

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#6 Post by James Davies »

Cool Vincent. Yeah, must be the light in your shop that makes the color look odd in the photo. Great work!

James