I need advice on Restoration Books !

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Chris Choin
356 Fan

I need advice on Restoration Books !

#1 Post by Chris Choin »

I've done some restoration on the 1965 356 c but I need some technical books. I believe my dad had started the 12v conversion in the late 60's. He had modified the car a bit from the moment he bought it. He pulled the original motor and stuffed (DON'T FREAK OUT!) a turbocharged Corvair motor in it. He was known for stuffing Corvair motors into speedsters too(mid engine style). He had built his own turbo for his 356c and that car may have been the fastest 356 around in the late 60's-early 70's. Some of you may remember it.

My dad died in 2015 and last year I was able to pick up the car and bring it back to my home in Michigan. It no longer has the Corvair motor in it and it took me a bit of research to finally figure out it now has a 1968- 912 motor in it. I've been going through the wiring harness, checking for chafing and damage and it is in surprisingly good shape for all he had done to the car in the past. I'm trying to go back to all original but finish his 12v conversion. I need to know what books are good for wiring a 12v conversion and how to finish linking up the 912 motor. Also he put a new headliner in and I can barely tell where the interior lights go.

So I'm looking for a book or set of books that will show me how the interior goes together and technical instructions for shift linkage, brakes, setting camber, and engine assembly and fuel line placement. Whew. Yes, I know I have my hands full but I'm very good with cars (thanks dad) and I know I'm dealing with a 2-3 year project.

Thanks in advance for any help.
-Chris
Attachments
My Porsche 356c.JPG

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: I need advice on Restoration Books !

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Definitely an Outlaw. I see fender flares front and rear. If ever near Kalamazoo/Battle Creek are I have 2 C's One stock and one Outlaw. For wiring get Joe LEONI'S BOOK. Michigan's own Bill Block sells it along with most other 356 books. http://blocks-books.com/BLOCKS-BOOKS/356.html http://blocks-books.com/BLOCKS-BOOKS/356Electrics.html General restoration start with Jim Kellogg 2nd Edition and Registry Restoration Guide #1 and #2. That will get you started. If it now has the 912 motor in it then you should be good to go there. My Outlaw has a 66 912 motor.
Last edited by Doug McDonnell on Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#3 Post by Doug McDonnell »

1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Originals or copy of factory workshop and parts manuals. I got copies from the late Charlie White. His daughter is still running the website: http://derwhites356literature.com/Porsc ... ature.html For a C you need B, T6B and C supplements.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#6 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Wiring for the interior lights goes through the drivers side A pillar and crosses over at the front of the headliner for passenger's side. Make sure your dad left the wiring intact before you go cutting for interior lights.

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#7 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

For the electrical part of your restoration you do not need to buy any book, just read all the articles written by Greg Bryan in the registry magazine. The first article appeared in the May June 2014 issue. The article regarding the 12V conversion appeared in issue May June 2017.
Just click in the magazine tab of the registry's page and you can read all the magazines.

Chris Choin
356 Fan

#8 Post by Chris Choin »

Thanks for the info Doug ! I remember my dad flaring out the wheel wells when I was a kid. I have some photos that show the car with huge back tires and cambered like crazy. I remember the Corvair motor would idle so funny - it loped and sounded like it would stall out. He track raced it at times and I remember seeing him spin out a few times. We used to go on trips with many other Porsche drivers and heard them all across CB radios. That was so much fun. The 912 motor is confusing me since I can't figure out how the fuel line to the tank line goes....it's missing! I guess the books should show me enough info to rig it up. Here are some pics from 1975-76
Attachments
Porsche 3.jpg
Porsche 1.jpg
Porsche 4.jpg
Porsche 5.jpg

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

#9 Post by Jim Clement »

Elfrink is great for lots of that information
Jim kellogg's book is also very good general restoration book.
next up.. . is find some one that has done it before around you.. see if they can give you some advice.
I sure learned how to take my car apart, and put it back together several time.. it is a giant puzzle.. only goes back together well one way..

Chris Choin
356 Fan

#10 Post by Chris Choin »

Thanks Jim, yeah I'm afraid I'll take something apart and bang I just killed it when I go to start the car. I've seen Jim Kellogg's book, that's on my short list. I'm trying to not order too many books unless I have to. I wanna see what you all think are the best technical and pictured/diagramed books out there... and/or articles. The nearest place to me for any kind of service is Appleton, Wisconsin. I live 3 hours north of Green Bay and I have only seen one Porsche in our town(4 years ago) and for all I know he was on a road trip.

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#11 Post by Phil Planck »

Chris
The 356 used a metal fuel line that goes under the drivers side carb and exits through a grommeted hole in the front vertical plate.
DSC03880.JPG
fuel line route.jpg
Should be able to see it in above pics, especially second one where the bright playing shows up. Yoiu can make one with a cheap tubing bender and 5/16(I think) tube. Helps to have a sample to pattern after.

Each end of the line connects to flex fuel hose, one going to pump and one going to metal fuel line exiting back of floor tunnel above transaxle.

I'm a troll about 1 1/2 hr. South of the bridge just off US 23.

If you ever head down, feel free to stop by.
Last edited by Phil Planck on Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Planck

Chris Choin
356 Fan

#12 Post by Chris Choin »

Thanks for the pics Phil! Yes that helps. I would be happy to stop by and visit. More happy if I can drive the 356 down there this summer!

-Chris

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#13 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Phil is the closest 356 to you in Michigan probably. Doug Darrah who owns abcpartewerks lives in Appleton Wisconsin and is a great source for starters, generators,voltage regulators. http://abcpartswerks.com The hook up for your fuel line will be the same as a 356SC with Solex carbs. Assuming your 912 has Solex carbs. http://www.stoddard.com/porsche-356/car ... lines.html I have Solex on both my C's because I like them. Especially when a bit warmer I can get you any picture you would like of fuel lines. Here is one phot I took showing part of the line and linkage behind the fan housing.
Attachments
IMG_0312.JPG

Chris Choin
356 Fan

#14 Post by Chris Choin »

Thanks Doug, any help is much appreciated. Yes, they're the big bad boy Solex 40 PII-4 carbs. I pulled one off last summer to clean it up a bit. The poor car had been sitting for years and I'm not sure if the engine was ever started by my dad; there was a bit of build up on the carbs. I think my dad was getting ready to test it out and ran out of free time. He had so many project cars and worked his business right up to the end.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#15 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Some good fuel line pictures of a C with Zeniths here that Preston posted when he was doing his car. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28918&hilit=fan+shr ... ne&start=0