356 for the Memory of my Father

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Eric Marshall Green
356 Fan

Re: 356 for the Memory of my Father

#61 Post by Eric Marshall Green »

I have a model 356 painted that fish belly silver. It does look less blue than yours. But look at my car. It can look basically blue, green, or gray. At least for a plastic tub of junk!
Attachments
DSC_7118_preview.jpeg
I'd rather drive a plastic junker than be a prig.

Eric Marshall Green
356 Fan

#62 Post by Eric Marshall Green »

Probably pretty close to the actual color of my plastic junker.
Attachments
20171006_162001 copy.jpg

Eric Marshall Green
356 Fan

#63 Post by Eric Marshall Green »

Jules, is this your car? Your color?
Attachments
53_Porsche-1500_Super_DV_10_GG_01.jpg

Eric Marshall Green
356 Fan

#64 Post by Eric Marshall Green »

My 356 from 1975 that my father called "that junker." He was pretty much right, but it ran across the country MANY times. It was actually a 1956 356A 1600S, but some idiot before had been unkind. His dent in bumper.
Attachments
20645243_1279282528864292_3296047486917095984_o.jpg

Eric Marshall Green
356 Fan

#65 Post by Eric Marshall Green »

I was referring to Bobby Rembrant. Not the great Dutch painter Rembrandt who painted The Night Watch.

My father's 1952 engine was a one-off racing engine created by Porsche. Sadly it had a one-off cam so when the timing gear stripped the cam could not be replaced. The gear was riveted to the cam. But where did you get your information? I've been looking for information on my father's car for MANY years. Vin 11560 took about 20 years to get. My COA might arrive by 2020.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#66 Post by Jules Dielen »

Eric Marshall Green wrote:Jules, color changes in every light and with everything it is next to. The only way to see it is to surround it by white.
All jokes aside, would LOVE to see many more pictures of your 1952.
Then how can you tell my car is the wrong shade of stone gray? Were you at the event this photo was taken and noted everything that is next to it? All the pics you post are outside, and i see no white sheets of paper with a 'whole' in it on any of them. My car is under artificial light next to a huge 15' x 10' LED video screen showing historic Porsche race videos. Do you notice the difference in color on your IM outside vs inside? Outside it looks silver, inside it looks like a medium blue metallic.
My father's 1952 engine was a one-off racing engine created by Porsche. Sadly it had a one-off cam so when the timing gear stripped the cam could not be replaced. The gear was riveted to the cam. But where did you get your information? I've been looking for information on my father's car for MANY years. Vin 11560 took about 20 years to get.
You have definitely come to the right place to get information about 356s. The 356 Registry has an incredible wealth of knowledge from long term members like Vic Skirmants, Bob Campbell, James Davies just to name a few. I was still in diapers when you made your trek around Canada in your '56!

Based on a few historic records your dad's car was equipped with a standard 1500 engine, number P30436 and it was indeed delivered directly to Canada. If it had a race engine, it may have been installed at a later point in time, but not by Porsche. It also did not have aluminum doors or lids, at least not per the factory records. I wonder if it survived and is still around, it would be fantastic if it is. It would have been a twin to my car (although mine actually came with a 1500s, P40057).

And no, the pre A on the grass is not my car, it is a later model. Since your personal obsession is Reutter built cars between 1952 and 1959 I'll let you study and compare the 2 pictures and then you can tell me the differences :)

still waiting on the quotes from other members!
Last edited by Jules Dielen on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Roger Shapiro
356 Fan
Tag: Still searching for the Holy Grill

#67 Post by Roger Shapiro »

Eric,
I think you have a beautiful IM replica 356. As a matter of fact I’ve almost bought a couple of them, but stopped short. The design of the 356 may well one of the greatest auto designs ever. I give full credit to Erwin Komenda far the timeless design. Heavily influenced by the Bauhaus school of design and the love of graceful lines, he was able to produce a design that was simple, elegant, and yet completely functional. Like the Movado wrist watch, the 356 body design is absolutely museum quality. That is why it is so heavily copied and imitated.

As I’ve said numerous times, appreciating the 356 is an acquired taste. You obviously have the taste.

Welcome to the forum, but be aware you are dealing with a highly passionate group. And i do mean passionate. What you have is a very very nice tribute to your father and to Erwin Komenda. It isn’t a Porsche. That doesn’t mean it cannot be enjoyed. You did a great job with your IM Tribute. Enjoy it.
Roger Shapiro

Eric Marshall Green
356 Fan

#68 Post by Eric Marshall Green »

Thank you, Roger. The IM base was and is just the beginning! Cheers to you. I am a bit passionate myself. Or so the girls tell me.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#69 Post by Adam Wright »

Jules,
I think after 5 pages of this you can just come to terms with the fact that this guy may in fact be a pigeon.
Last edited by Adam Wright on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Eric Marshall Green
356 Fan

#70 Post by Eric Marshall Green »

Thought you might enjoy seeing some progress shots of the interior. The seats are leather that was custom dyed, and the plaid was designed and woven by my wife from an unusual thread that comes from northern Quebec. Extremely strong but feels like cotton. And I believe QC is the first guy to achieve the five-fold in a plaid. I chose the plaid inserts to honor my one hero Sir Stirling Moss and his beyond compare 1955 Mille Miglia drive. Talking to Jim S. a few days ago on the phone, he said when he had had lunch in London with Stirling about a year ago, Stirling felt that it was the crowning achievement of his life. I could not agree more! Pray for Stirling, he is not well at the moment.
Attachments
IMG_4609.JPG
IMG_4598.JPG

Eric Marshall Green
356 Fan

#71 Post by Eric Marshall Green »

Roger, the one thing that is SO unusual about the 356 design is that it's really the only 1950s or 1960s sports car that is based on the female form. It looks female to me, where as almost all the other exotic cars then seem to be a varying strata of masculine. The XKE might have a bit of a transexual look, but still pretty male. But the 1956 356 in particular is very famine, the 1955 Continental as well. The beehives just drive me crazy! So perfect. I was think of placing some blue dots in a set of worn lenses. Remember blue dots? I would ignore the chrome ring.
Attachments
20171011_215305.jpg
20171011_215250.jpg
Last edited by Eric Marshall Green on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eric Marshall Green
356 Fan

#72 Post by Eric Marshall Green »

Adam, I like all birds, although the pigeon is not my favorite. I have a funny pigeon story but I'm sure you would just make fun of it to make yourself feel like a big man. You must he one of Jules's "yes" men.

Eric Marshall Green
356 Fan

#73 Post by Eric Marshall Green »

Jules, my father's car had the engine installed at the factory, and the doors, hood, and engine lid were aluminum. If your information is correct, the the vin number I waited so long to get is wrong, and the COA was a waste of time. One thing that REALLY bugs me was that Porsche said the car had been delivered to Toronto. It wasn't. It was Montreal. My dad had a deal with Ferry, that the car must be exhibited in Montreal at the 1952 car show there. Drove my father crazy, protecting the car all day, every day. When my dad touched the paint of a Porsche, he always used a white linen handkerchief.

When I go to the Valley to pick up my plastic junker, I will be meeting with Jeff Zwart and Freeman Thomas and make a plea with them to get someone into the Porsche archives. There must be many letters between my father and Ferry. Also, I bet Porsche took photos of the car because it was so special.

Photo is from the same car show but when my father raced for MG. Probably 1950?

And, yes, Jules, I knew that wasn't your car. The wheels on your car are wrong for 1952.
Attachments
MG copy 2.jpg

Eric Marshall Green
356 Fan

#74 Post by Eric Marshall Green »

Roger, also wanted to mention, although Henry at IM built the base of my car it is NOT a standard IM at all, which I'm sure Henry would nod to with some consternation. Everything was custom designed by me over a 40 year period of time. I had actually ordered the car in 2008 when certain financial restraints set in BIG TIME. I have been rather poor all my life, and my father died in penury leaving me a mother to care for for over 30 years. And the art world only rejected me until recently, thus FINALLY being able to create my dream. And of course without DK and QC I would NEVER have been able to do it. But many bits on my car are one-off custom like the steering column, engine, dash and interior, gas filler, etc. DK bought the correct fluted lenses in Germany, and most of the badging comes of my dad's 1952 or my 1956 356. DK found the NOS horn button and the guys at Aasse Brothers have been great finding rare bits. But that damn steering wheel! 3k! Ouch. But what do you look at all the time when not the road.
Attachments
IMG_5210 copy.JPG
IMG_5245.JPG
IMG_5222.JPG

Eric Marshall Green
356 Fan

#75 Post by Eric Marshall Green »

A photo from the road when SO few people cared about 356 Porsches. I had gas station owners say to me: "Get that Nazi piece of shit off my property before I blow a hole in." How things have changed. I was repeated henpecked in school all through the 1960s because my father drove a 356.

Kris and myself in 1975.
Attachments
2 copy 6 2.jpg