Weeping Solexes

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

Weeping Solexes

#1 Post by Ronald Sieber »

Both my 57 356A and my 69 912 have 912 engines in them with Twin Solexes (40 PII-4s). Both engines weep a mite at the base of the carbs where there is a visible brass plug, as well as weep at the inspection hole for the float level adjustment. They leave a light brown stain around the leaking areas.

This leakage may not be a major problem. It does not look to be a potentially flammable condition, as these are small amounts, but they probably contribute to the gas odor that I detect whenever I go in the garage. One set I had rebuilt by a vendor that we use in the club about 5000 miles ago. Both sets of carbs are not high mileage units, are kept in good running condition, but both exhibit the same weeping.

Is this a common problem with these units? Do others have this same condition? Is there something that I need to fix, or am I worrying a bit too much?

Opinions?

Phil Planck
356 Fan

Re: Weeping Solexes

#2 Post by Phil Planck »

I would install new washers. Call 356 carb rescue for good ones.
Should not weep/ leak.
Phil Planck

Jim Kaufmann
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jim Kaufmann »

The float level is too high in the bowl. A simple test, if that's the problem, is turn the float adjustment screw 'in' 1/2 turn. Try to clean the carbs up where you see fuel leaking, then take for a few rides being sure the engine gets hot. Still leaking? If this helps clear things up with the fuel leakage, go a step further. Best to get a float gauge on the carbs and set top of the meniscus to the bottom line of the P78 gauge. This is where we set up carbs before shipping them out to customers and got the best feedback.

Not on this chat line a lot, to busy restoring carbs, call the shop if you need further help.

Jim Kaufmann
356 Carburetor Rescue LLC

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dan Epperly »

I'm usually the one weeping when something is wrong with my Solexes.

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dave Erickson »

Ronald Sieber wrote:Both my 57 356A and my 69 912 have 912 engines in them with Twin Solexes (40 PII-4s). Both engines weep a mite at the base of the carbs where there is a visible brass plug, as well as weep at the inspection hole for the float level adjustment. They leave a light brown stain around the leaking areas.

This leakage may not be a major problem. It does not look to be a potentially flammable condition, as these are small amounts, but they probably contribute to the gas odor that I detect whenever I go in the garage. One set I had rebuilt by a vendor that we use in the club about 5000 miles ago. Both sets of carbs are not high mileage units, are kept in good running condition, but both exhibit the same weeping.

Is this a common problem with these units? Do others have this same condition? Is there something that I need to fix, or am I worrying a bit too much?

Opinions?
The leaks at the float level inspection hole indicates a poor seal with the sealing washer, usually aluminum. You could try tightening the plugs or replacing the washer. It is normal for the fuel in the float bowl to splash around a bit when cornering or driving, but the inspection hole seals should not leak. I have some extra sealing washers, let me know if you would like me to mail you a pair.

The small brass discs at the bottom of the carb sometimes leak. I have seen carbs come in to the shop where someone has painted some kind of sealer around the plugs, but unless the discs are loose I wouldn't worry about it. If the discs are loose they can be re-staked around the edges.

-Dave