Vasek Polak plate

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Robert Thiemrodt
356 Fan

Vasek Polak plate

#1 Post by Robert Thiemrodt »

Just saw in the Registry magazine the write up on re-pop plates not having a Makers Mark on the back. This is my plate, I assume/hope the markings on the back are from the original manufacturer?? Thoughts welcomed. Thanks All
Attachments
IMG_3518.JPG
IMG_3519.JPG
The left lane is for passing, MOVE OVER!!!!

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

Re: Vasek Polak plate

#2 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Yes, that is the original manufacturer of the plate frames "Robert W. Brown & Co".
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

+1

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jesse Rodriguez
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jesse Rodriguez »

Robert,
I have not read the Registry article you are citing re. license plate frames. However, I have several original license plate frames with the Porsche logo that do not have the Robert W. Brown Co. No. 9 stamp on the back:
1. Universal Motor Cars--Los Angeles
2. Thorton--Stockton
3. Aero Volkwagen Inc.--Inglewood
4. JACK McAFFE--Burbank

I also have other original frames with the Robert W. Brown Co. No. 9 stamp on the back.

I also have VASEK POLAK/HERMOSA BEACH license frames with black frame and white letters and chrome frame with white letters that I pick up from the parts dept. at the dealer, in the late-90s and early 2000s, that do not have any markings on the back.
The earlier/original VASEK POLAK frames from the '50s & '60s, either with MANHATTAN BEACH or HERMOSA BEACH on the front, that I've seen, have the Brown stamping on the back.

Regards,
Jesse Rodriguez

Robert Thiemrodt
356 Fan

#5 Post by Robert Thiemrodt »

Thanks Jesse,

Interesting write up in the "Net Worth Column" in the Registry. Original plates are really bringing in the money. Someone bought a repro at authentic plate pricing. I just wanted to make sure mine was not a repro.
The left lane is for passing, MOVE OVER!!!!

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#6 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Jesse Rodriguez wrote:Robert,
I have not read the Registry article you are citing re. license plate frames. However, I have several original license plate frames with the Porsche logo that do not have the Robert W. Brown Co. No. 9 stamp on the back:
1. Universal Motor Cars--Los Angeles
2. Thorton--Stockton
3. Aero Volkwagen Inc.--Inglewood
4. JACK McAFFE--Burbank

I also have other original frames with the Robert W. Brown Co. No. 9 stamp on the back.

I also have VASEK POLAK/HERMOSA BEACH license frames with black frame and white letters and chrome frame with white letters that I pick up from the parts dept. at the dealer, in the late-90s and early 2000s, that do not have any markings on the back.
The earlier/original VASEK POLAK frames from the '50s & '60s, either with MANHATTAN BEACH or HERMOSA BEACH on the front, that I've seen, have the Brown stamping on the back.

Regards,
Jesse Rodriguez
x2 not all original plates frames were made by Robert W. Brown. I also have or have had several original Porsche frames with no stamping at all.
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#7 Post by Martin Bruechle »

You should have seen all the 1970's Vasek Polak frames at Pick a Part junkyards in the 80's, 90's
mostly on 914's and BMWs. The problem was when they removed the license plates with a pry bar
they broke them every time.

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#8 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Martin Bruechle wrote:You should have seen all the 1970's Vasek Polak frames at Pick a Part junkyards in the 80's, 90's
mostly on 914's and BMWs. The problem was when they removed the license plates with a pry bar
they broke them every time.
Exactly, and people still get snookered on eBay when they find a perfect "50 year old" VP plate frame and pay $500 for it when in fact it's a recent reproduction. It happens that often that I could include an example in every Net Worth, but that would get a little boring I suppose, so I only show an example every year and a half or so....
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe