Off to the paint shop!

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: Off to the paint shop!

#31 Post by C J Murray »

Back in the day when my father and his friends had these cars new the colors were straight forward, red and white mostly with a few blue, green or silver cars mixed in. The production numbers of the various colors pretty much tell the story. The cars were used every day and subjected to a lot of abuse and that didn't help the sales of silver or black. White was practical and red was sporty and they were popular for dealer inventories. When you did see a silver car you knew the owner paid extra and I always had the feeling that silver cars were more likely to have other options like leather or chrome wheels. Unfortunately silver went chalky very quickly and was a bitch to match during repairs.

So when you go to an event and you want to stand out you want to have the more rare colors but honestly the Ruby red car that I owned was the prettiest color of any 356 I have owned and I really like Ivory, light or dark, also. Some of the colors that people go crazy for leave me cold. Buy what you like, drive what you like.
IMG_1366.jpg
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#32 Post by Adam Wright »

Like peeling an onion, the car is coming apart. I stressed to be very careful around the windshield, I think they got the hint.
So far so good, I'll check it out in person in the morning.
Attachments
IMG_9078.JPG
IMG_9077.JPG
IMG_9076.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

M Penta
356 Fan

#33 Post by M Penta »

Congrats on the fresh paint. Can't wait to see the color choice!

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#34 Post by Adam Wright »

Today was good news, bad news. Bad news was the doors were full of bondo. The good news is it was just covering up bad door bottom repairs, not chicken wire or rust. My body guy said he can work the doors and get it down to very little filler.
Always surprises when you look behind the curtain....
Attachments
IMG_9088.JPG
IMG_9087.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Max Handley
356 Fan

#35 Post by Max Handley »

Looks like you want to do a good job. How are the structural aspects of the tub, floors , longs, closing panels etc. stripping the car by hand is my preference. Have fun, keep us posted.
 Contact email Spyderwerks@comcast.net

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#36 Post by Adam Wright »

max handley wrote:Looks like you want to do a good job. How are the structural aspects of the tub, floors , longs, closing panels etc. stripping the car by hand is my preference. Have fun, keep us posted.
The car is solid, no rust, just flat floors and longs. So far nothing scary, just quick body work. Whoever restored the car fixed the door bottoms but rather than curve the metal, they just mudded the valley and then mudded the rocker to match.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#37 Post by Adam Wright »

The car is coming along nicely. No rust has been found just lots of mis-shapen panels that were mudded to hide the last restorer's lack of metal shaping skills. The best term I've heard so far was something someone posted on Instagram when they saw one of the pics.
"Cave it and Pave it!"
That about sums up what was done to the car.
We are moving forward, re-shaping the metal and it's coming out nice, Brandon is really getting to know the car.

Stay tuned.
Attachments
15.JPG
16.JPG
17.JPG
18.JPG
19.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#38 Post by Martin Benade »

I bet that door was oxy-acetylene welded. I remember severely warping lots of stuff back in the day when that was the means of welding, and I didn't know much. Door-skin-in-a-can could fix it.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#39 Post by Dan Epperly »

Curious, how old is that existing paint job? Did the filler ever crack?

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#40 Post by Adam Wright »

Dan Epperly wrote:Curious, how old is that existing paint job? Did the filler ever crack?
I'm not sure when it was painted, I'm thinking 80s, the filler had not cracked but the thick enamel paint had, big spider cracks. The body work was very stable, but did have lots of butter on the toast.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#41 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Adam,
I believe the car was painted some time in the late seventies or very early in the eighties.. Previous owner lived in the Hawthorne, N.Y., area, if memory serves me.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#42 Post by Adam Wright »

Geoff Fleming wrote:Adam,
I believe the car was painted some time in the late seventies or very early in the eighties.. Previous owner lived in the Hawthorne, N.Y., area, if memory serves me.
So around the time I was learning how to pick out my own clothes.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

George Kehler
356 Fan

#43 Post by George Kehler »

Adam, you certainly have a way with words .........
George Kehler II

1955 Coupe
1971 911 S
1997 993 Targa

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#44 Post by Adam Wright »

First let me say my wife is at a conference in FL all week, which means lots of pizza for me and the kids, but the first text I got this morning read,
"I got your girl all naked!" :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

It was a text from my body guy, who is working on the 356, but it did make me jump!

So far so good, everything is looking good.
Attachments
IMG_9175.JPG
IMG_9174.JPG
IMG_9176.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#45 Post by Adam Wright »

The lines are getting tighter!
Attachments
IMG_9196.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com