Hex bolt and washer at the top of each door. 356C. Painted?

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Robert Kenton
356 Fan

Re: Hex bolt and washer at the top of each door. 356C. Paint

#16 Post by Robert Kenton »

In Brad's picture there are a total of 6 bolts indicated by arrows. In my car, a '64 SC coupe, there are only four bolts, with no bolts in the aft-most two holes (latch side of the door), nor is there evidence that there ever had been, and there is nothing behind these holes for bolts to attach to. Further, the window regulator pictured is totally different from that in my car. The implication is that the door sheet metal is the same with B and C cars, and that the door and regulator shown in the picture is in fact a from a B. Two of the four bolts I do have were the correct, appearing old, with ancient brown adhesive applied (the area of the window crank) presumably factory round head. The other two were not, but are marked Kamax, and the forward most single bolts are both doors are likewise square-headed. One of these, on the driver's side, has the head painted white (6404, the COA color of my car), suggesting that that bolt, at least, may be original.

Interesting...

Bob
Robert W. Kenton

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#17 Post by Greg Bryan »

Robert - I think the picture is of a cabriolet door ...
Greg Bryan

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

#18 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

lee callaghan wrote:At the top of each door just below the glass is a hex bolt and washer that are sometimes body coloured painted and sometimes original silver. L
Per your photo, am assuming you're only referring to C coupe doors since C cabriolet doors are different and have no such hex bolt and washer.
Last edited by Wil Mittelbach on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roy Smalley
356 Fan

#19 Post by Roy Smalley »

photos of inside door 65 C never apart. You might note the lock washers are black oxide; the bolts themselves have oxidized and low crown bolts were used on the 4 bolts on the regulator with the forward bolt a standard head. The low crown bolt on the ends of the door to hold the frame were painted. As were the Philips head screws that held the latch in place but left soon as they were chrome plated. Spring washers as well as regular lock washers were used.
Attachments
IMG_2262.JPG
IMG_2263.JPG
 Roy Smalley
Texas

Robert Kenton
356 Fan

#20 Post by Robert Kenton »

Roy Smalley wrote:photos of inside door 65 C never apart. You might note the lock washers are black oxide; the bolts themselves have oxidized and low crown bolts were used on the 4 bolts on the regulator with the forward bolt a standard head. The low crown bolt on the ends of the door to hold the frame were painted. As were the Philips head screws that held the latch in place but left soon as they were chrome plated. Spring washers as well as regular lock washers were used.
Roy-
Those might as well be pictures of my door inside. The only difference was that the two rear-most panel bolts in my doors were square-head, though appeared old/original, and were Kamax, with old adhesive covering them (as had the two forward crown head bolts).
Robert W. Kenton