Undercoating on Top of K Member?

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

Undercoating on Top of K Member?

#1 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Hi all,

I have '64 356 C coupe, and had a little gas leak incident a couple of weeks ago. A fuel line from the fuel cock cracked leaking fuel on top of the k brace. It also leaked underneath where the k brace joins the front of the pan. Much of the undercoating in those areas was liquified and removed when I cleaned up the gas mess.

I have a can of wurth schutz on the way. Does anyone know if the TOP of the k brace gets undercoated, or is it just primered and painted black? Looks like mine currently has no undercoating on top, just on the bottom.

Thanks!
Sean

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Undercoating on Top of K Member?

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Only a brief shot of spraying undercoating in Made by Hand.So that doesn't answer the question. Doubt top of Diagonal member had undercoating but maybe someone with more knowledge than me will chime in. Some of the top would be available with gas tank out on T6 cars.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#3 Post by Greg Bryan »

Here's a so-so picture when I sprayed undercoating on my body shell.
IMG_4741.JPG
Finished product
undercoat.JPG
Greg Bryan

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan

#4 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Thanks Greg, Doug.

Greg that undercoating looks fantastic.

The battery box was sprayed, so I guess it's conceivable they could shoot undercoat on the k member from those holes at the same time. Never thought of that. My tank is still in so I may try to access the area from the wheel wells.

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#5 Post by Greg Bryan »

The undercoat is a water base 3M product - it has held up very well and I think has a very original look.
IMG_4728.JPG
I also used a 3M seam sealer that you can see in this pic
Greg Bryan

Ned Hamlin
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ned Hamlin »

Sean,
I'm in the process of cleaning the front suspension on my very original '58 Speedster, and it appears the top of the K member did not have undercoat on it.
I can't tell exactly what's there yet, but it looks like primer. There is some red paint in the area, since it was Ruby Red.
Ned Hamlin
'64 Bali Blue coupe
'65 Togo Brown SC
'58 Ruby Speedster
'65 Dolphin Grey coupe
'63 Carrera 2 coupe

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - George Harrison/Yogi Berra

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan

#7 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Ned Hamlin wrote:Sean,
I'm in the process of cleaning the front suspension on my very original '58 Speedster, and it appears the top of the K member did not have undercoat on it.
I can't tell exactly what's there yet, but it looks like primer. There is some red paint in the area, since it was Ruby Red.
Thanks, all! Looks like I'll have some warm weather next weekend and can take care of it. I think I'll leave the top of the K member w/out undercoating for now.

-Sean